RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Traction light blinks when putting car to park after car has stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 09:25 AM
BobSing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Traction light blinks when putting car to park after car has stopped.

I recently got a 2013 RX350 and after driving for 4 months I noticed a weird thing. When I take my car out drive and then stop it, change the great to P, the traction skid light blinks for a moment and then goes away. Traction ON OFF works fine. I don't notice anything unusual with the ride, but just this momentary blink.

Some things to mention are, 1. I am in Canada and it is really cold where I live, these days. 2. I am not driving my car a lot and it is just sitting in garage for most of the day. 3. Lexus dealer will need $150 for the diagnose, so I was trying to save something on that. 2. This is happening 3/10 times.
Old 12-03-20, 10:20 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 419 Posts

When this happens, are you noticing any of i) Pressing extra firmly on the brake, ii) Parking on a Hill iii) hearing a chime?

If so, it is possible you might be activating the hill start assist system, although I've not heard this be related to putting the shifter to P. Try pausing for a few seconds before putting into P just to make sure its actually moving the shifter that is causing the issue, not a coincidence of timing (or vary the amount of pressure on the brake pedal at the time). I know of 3 reasons why this light comes on: i) the vehicle is having some kind of traction issue ii) there is a problem with the system iii) the hill start assist control has been activated.
Old 12-03-20, 12:19 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

Our 2015 RX350 is my wife's vehicle, I rarely drive it, but when we first got it I had a tendency to stomp down on the brake pedal thereby activating that blinking warning light. When I learned to ease up on the brake pedal, no more blinking warning light.
Old 12-04-20, 06:18 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

By the sequence of events, it appears that you take the transmission out of D before coming to a stop ( like maybe going to Neutral?), then put into Park after coming to a stop, is this correct? If so, the warning is probably Lexus not liking the car moving without being in gear.
Old 12-07-20, 06:31 AM
BobSing
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Originally Posted by Droid13
When this happens, are you noticing any of i) Pressing extra firmly on the brake, ii) Parking on a Hill iii) hearing a chime?

If so, it is possible you might be activating the hill start assist system, although I've not heard this be related to putting the shifter to P. Try pausing for a few seconds before putting into P just to make sure its actually moving the shifter that is causing the issue, not a coincidence of timing (or vary the amount of pressure on the brake pedal at the time). I know of 3 reasons why this light comes on: i) the vehicle is having some kind of traction issue ii) there is a problem with the system iii) the hill start assist control has been activated.
That was exactly the issue. Since we had some snow. I had a tendency to push brakes extra hard, going by how i used to do in my previous vehicle during winters. But I guess Lexus just takes a gentle push equally well. I press brakes normally and the traction light doesn't show up. I had also tried calling Lexus dealer and they asked $155+tax as diagnose fee.
Old 12-10-20, 06:15 PM
Billymaes
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 traction light comes on at a stop.

This has happened a few times. Stopped in the drive thru, the trac light comes on until I take my foot off the brake and move forward again. It is also a little slower taking off from that point This happened after driving 2 500 mile days. Thanks for your help.