RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Driver side heat not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 05:36 PM
mengans
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver side heat not working

Hi All,

I have 2013 RX 350 (80K miles). Recently, noticed the heat was not coming from the driver side(just blows cold air). Hot air in the passenger side. Took to dealer today and after $149 for diagonstics he is mentioned they have to replace AC & heater box assembly. They put a camera in to check and can a see a some piece fallen. They are not sure if it is a part of the box or a piece from Air freshener. Until they open (15 hours of labor) they will not be sure. They think they need to replace the AC & heater box assembly ($1400) to be the safer side, The total I am being charged is $3980? Is this correct? Have any of you had this issue. The coolant is full. Appreciate your feedback and any help. Feel $4K is too steep for my budget but he is telling if not replaced I might face more issues down the lane and he is not sure what kind. Will this be cheaper if I went to pep boys or Car max? Thanks in advance.
Mengan
Old 12-09-20, 04:23 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

That dealership is on a mission to clear out your bank account. Find a good Lexus-familiar independent repair shop and get a second opinion.

On many different models of vehicles, your situation is caused by the failure of what is sometimes called the dual climate control valve (DCCV). When this happens, folks usually notice that one side blows hot air while the other side blows cool air. These DCCVs can sometimes cost as little as $100. They can be difficult to reach depending upon where they are located in the engine bay, but most proficient DIY owners can indeed effect this repair themselves.

If a piece inside your HVAC system has indeed "fallen", it could be one of the servo motor blend doors. That could indeed be blocking a vent and restricting airflow. Again, a proficient DIY owner can usually repair this himself. If you take it to a well-respected independent automotive HVAC shop, they may charge you a few hundred dollars depending upon what they wind up having to replace (such as one of the servo motors).

The best advice I can give you right now is to stay the hell away from that dealership....

Last edited by RX in NC; 12-09-20 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-09-20, 05:19 AM
mengans
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX in NC
That dealership is on a mission to clear out your bank account. Find a good Lexus-familiar independent repair shop and get a second opinion.

On many different models of vehicles, your situation is caused by the failure of what is sometimes called the dual climate control valve (DCCV). When this happens, folks usually notice that one side blows hot air while the other side blows cool air. These DCCVs can sometimes cost as little as $100. They can be difficult to reach depending upon where they are located in the engine bay, but most proficient DIY owners can indeed effect this repair themselves.

If a piece inside your HVAC system has indeed "fallen", it could be one of the servo motor blend doors. That could indeed be blocking a vent and restricting airflow. Again, a proficient DIY owner can usually repair this himself. If you take it to a well-respected independent automotive HVAC shop, they may charge you a few hundred dollars depending upon what they wind up having to replace (such as one of the servo motors).

The best advice I can give you right now is to stay the hell away from that dealership....
Thank you for your advice. Just a quick question though, when you say independent Lexus repairman...Do I need pep boys, Car max kind of shops or some one different who is Independent? I live in Greater Cincinnati area. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
ledz84 (12-16-20)
Old 12-09-20, 07:38 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Do NOT go to Pep Boys or CarMax or any other chain store. They are unlikely to possess the expertise to properly diagnose and repair your issue. Pull up Google and type in "independently owned local automotive HVAC repair shops" along with your city/state, go to those business websites that turn up, do some reading on how long these places have been in business and what their customers think of them, then make some phone calls to discuss your issue.
Old 12-09-20, 09:03 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Here is how you can find a great local independent mechanic.
First, go to this link which has repair shops recommended by listeners of the old NPR radio show Car Talk, it lets you enter your city and state. Pick out a few shops and cross check them on Yelp and Google as some of the recommendations may be out of date. Then call them up. You want someone familiar with Toyota and A/C issues if that is possible. Good Luck. https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files
Old 12-09-20, 10:33 AM
mengans
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!!