RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Preventive maintenance - 2010 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 04:56 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

I agree with Salim. Don't expect any answers to those questions from a dealer. You will have no say in who works on it.

The work will be probably done correctly and if they can find anything to make more money off of you they will mention it. Take that with a grain of salt and get another opinion.

That price of $570 is very expensive just for a transmission fluid exchange. I had a 2010 ES350 (same engine and transmission) serviced at Priority Toyota in Springfield, VA in 2018, and for about that price they did the transmission fluid exchange, coolant change and a brake fluid flush.
Old 01-25-21, 05:52 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Find another shop. That price is ridiculously high.
Old 01-25-21, 07:42 AM
RX10
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
My $0.02:
Dont expect any master tech to work on your vehicle. Most likely you will get some one who has been shown how to do the procedure and hopefully he will follow the steps. When you get your vehicle back just crawl under and wipe the transmission down and put a cardboard under it. Next morning see if there are any drips.

The vehicle you have is a fine vehicle and needs little maintenance. I would urge you enjoy it and don't be a slave to it. I am saying this from my own experience as my first gen RX never needed more and at the end the demise was due to a reckless driver on the road ... 1/4 of a million miles + miles.

I’ve always been pretty good with my vehicles when it comes to staying current on basic maintenance. By doing so my last two vehicles purchased new (Honda Civic and Nissan Maxima) had 250K and 225K miles on them. I expect to get at least 250K out of this RX if I so choose. I’ve never been a slave to my vehicles unless it comes to keeping my black ones clean...which my RX is and my Maxima was. That is a part time job...which I enjoy. Thanks for you input Salim!
Salim
Originally Posted by Clutchless
I agree with Salim. Don't expect any answers to those questions from a dealer. You will have no say in who works on it.

The work will be probably done correctly and if they can find anything to make more money off of you they will mention it. Take that with a grain of salt and get another opinion.

That price of $570 is very expensive just for a transmission fluid exchange. I had a 2010 ES350 (same engine and transmission) serviced at Priority Toyota in Springfield, VA in 2018, and for about that price they did the transmission fluid exchange, coolant change and a brake fluid flush.
Thx for your thoughts Clutchless. I’ve never been one to take dealership service recommendations too seriously. I understand their game and avoid them when possible. I like going to independent shops when I can but for the transmission fluid exchange/sealed system, my local doesn’t do it. Thus, my best option is taking it to a dealership with Toyota shops being cheaper than Lexus.

I called over a half dozen shops, indys and dealerships and if they did have the special equipment to perform the service including the transfer case and differential, prices were between $520-710. I’m not a DIY’er when it comes to this type service so I’m at the mercy of doing my due diligence and getting the best deal I can. I’d be willing to drive 1-2 hours if the cost savings was substantial but I didn’t find a shop where the cost was much, if any better than my local Toyota dealer. It is what it is and I’m just going to roll with it. Thx again for your advice!
Old 01-25-21, 08:08 AM
RX10
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
My $0.02:
Dont expect any master tech to work on your vehicle. Most likely you will get some one who has been shown how to do the procedure and hopefully he will follow the steps. When you get your vehicle back just crawl under and wipe the transmission down and put a cardboard under it. Next morning see if there are any drips.

The vehicle you have is a fine vehicle and needs little maintenance. I would urge you enjoy it and don't be a slave to it. I am saying this from my own experience as my first gen RX never needed more and at the end the demise was due to a reckless driver on the road ... 1/4 of a million miles + miles.

Salim
Thanks for your input. I plan on driving this vehicle for at least another 150K miles. One of the reasons I went with the RX was the reliability track record and minimal maintenance issues record. Two of my last three vehicles were purchased new. A Honda Civic and a Nissan Maxima and drove them for 250K and 235K miles respectively. I’ve never been a slave to a car other than performing basic maintenance and maybe keeping my black cars clean...which is a part time job in and of itself. My RX is black and I enjoy keeping it clean. Thx again for the $0.02!
Old 01-25-21, 10:44 AM
Clutchless

Only the transmission has issues requiring a decent fluid exchange machine and or someone who knows how to do the Toyota temperature overflow procedure.
The transfer case and rear differential are simple drain and fill procedures that any local gas station could perform for a lot less than a dealer. You may want to consider having the dealer only do the transmission work and leave the other 2 fluids for a less expensive place. What was their price breakdown for each of the 3 services?
I can drain and fill the transfer case and rear differential on my RX in less than an hour in my garage at home as it is that easy.
Old 01-25-21, 02:05 PM
RX10
Driver

Only the transmission has issues requiring a decent fluid exchange machine and or someone who knows how to do the Toyota temperature overflow procedure.
The transfer case and rear differential are simple drain and fill procedures that any local gas station could perform for a lot less than a dealer. You may want to consider having the dealer only do the transmission work and leave the other 2 fluids for a less expensive place. What was their price breakdown for each of the 3 services?
I can drain and fill the transfer case and rear differential on my RX in less than an hour in my garage at home as it is that easy.
The main transmission work was priced between $300-450. The differential and transfer case aka AWD service was priced together and ranged between $200-300. I considered having two different shops perform the services independently but, the savings in my time and cost while also the need to put the vehicle on the rack twice I find it worth scheduling it one and done. I’m OK with my decision since my options are few and I found one of the best prices locally. I’ll certainly be talking to the tech advisor about any price break relief s/he can provide. I did find a $25 coupon so the full transmission service is down to $545. 😬
Old 01-26-21, 05:58 AM
Phillib4
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Two other items that are often overlooked. PCV valve ($7)should be replaced 75k-100k,even if it is supposedly good. Dirt cheap and keeps internal engine pressure down (if clogged) to reduce chance of valve cover gasket leak. If you replace a VC gasket always change PCV valve. Also at that mileage would replace radiator cap($17). Use oem parts and buy from Toyota dealer if part is available. Cheap preventative maintenance if you are going for 300k plus.
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (01-26-21)
Old 01-26-21, 05:50 PM
RX10
Driver

Originally Posted by Phillib4
Two other items that are often overlooked. PCV valve ($7)should be replaced 75k-100k,even if it is supposedly good. Dirt cheap and keeps internal engine pressure down (if clogged) to reduce chance of valve cover gasket leak. If you replace a VC gasket always change PCV valve. Also at that mileage would replace radiator cap($17). Use oem parts and buy from Toyota dealer if part is available. Cheap preventative maintenance if you are going for 300k plus.
Thanks for the tips. After reading your suggestion regarding the PCV valve I began reading about it and replacing it every so often seems sensible. Like you said, cheap preventative maintenance. Good idea on the radiator cap too.
Old 01-27-21, 04:22 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you made a thread about this like that other awesome one you have contributed so much to on the tranny fluid?
If you have a link, I'd love to take a look.

Last edited by ColAngus; 01-27-21 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-27-21, 04:25 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LuizCA
I contacted just one Toyota dealership in Calgary and they were 100% willing to work on my Lexus for these basic maintenances. As Clutchless said, better give them a call/email...
Which one in Calgary? South Pointe Toyota has the same owner as a Lexus dealer in Edmonton.
Old 01-27-21, 05:49 AM
Clutchless

The 2nd gen Highlander is a mechanical twin to the RX (except for part of the rear suspension). The ToyotaNation forum DIY section linked below has a DIY for the rear differential and transfer case fluid changes. It was easier for me to link that than to find a similar thread here https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...ations.264043/

Or as I posted 4 years ago:
Regarding the rear differential and front transfer case. They are easy drain and fills where you fill up to the fill hole and are done when the fluid overflows. Your owner's manual will advise on the correct fluids.
I would use 75w-90 synthetic gear lube over conventional lube in the
differential. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ml#post2959747
Also go to the Toyota Nation forum 2nd gen Highlander site Maintenance forum for all of this information and much more as it is a mechanical twin regarding the engine, transmission, transfer case and differentialhttp://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ion-2008-2013/
The following users liked this post:
ColAngus (01-27-21)
Old 01-29-21, 11:21 AM
RX10
Driver

As a matter of reference for others considering a transmission fluid exchange/flush service:
I had the full transmission service performed at a Toyota dealership on my 2010 RX. The service included a fluid exchange of the main transmission and the AWD service which changed fluids in the differential and transfer case. Out the door $495.00.
This was the best price found after calling over a half dozen dealerships and independents. The initial price quote at the Toyota dealership was $570 but asked the service tech if he could give me a better price which he agreed to immediately.