RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Preventive maintenance - 2010 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 04:18 PM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Preventive maintenance - 2010 RX350

Hi all,

I checked the forum for preventive maintenance and I was able to make a list of the things I want to address as soon as possible; however, I wanted your opinion before I make any decision. I have a 2010 RX350, 127k miles (205k KM), acquired 2 weeks ago, so I'm trying to start off on the right foot. I am trying to be very conservative because I want this car to last a long time, but I also don't want to make unnecessary replacements/waste money.
During the pre-purchase inspection, the mechanic said the car was in great shape, although he didn't check the spark plugs and transmission fluid. At first, my plan is to change even the fluids that are fine, this way I can plan ahead for the next maintenance schedule.

This is the list I made:
- Replace engine oil and filter
- Replace transmission fluid (my mechanic said he drops the pan and change the filters as well. I read Clutchless saying that this is not necessary and a lot of work, but is there any potential harm?)
- Replace differential and transfer case fluid
- Replace air and cabin filter
- Replace coolant

- Verify brake fluids (my idea was to replace this once I get new brakes, but they are 7mm on the front, and 8mm on the rear, so it may take a while)
- Verify serpentine belt and tensioner (Lexus says to inspect the "drive belts" every 10k miles)
- Verify spark plugs (is there any harm if I replace these only when they start to show any symptoms?)

Am I missing something? Or am I being too careful?
Old 12-15-20, 05:04 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

In the glove compartment you should have a thin book on warranty and maintenance. There is list of items that should be addressed based on milage and time. You can check with Lexus to see what services were done at their facility. Then it is a matter of catching up on unrecorded/missed items.

You can always out do and do more than minimum.
Staying with OEM is a safe bet. Anything electrical or electronic in nature (sensors, plugs etc), my personal advice would be OEM only. [battery would be an exception, although I prefer sealed batteries].

Salim

The following users liked this post:
LuizCA (12-17-20)
Old 12-16-20, 07:51 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase. Go to the Lexus drivers site, join for free, this is run by Lexus after all, then enter your VIN and it will let you see the maintenance and repair records of all work done at Lexus dealers on your RX. https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

The spark plugs are due to be done if not done already. However, the cost is quite high because to access the rear bank you have to remove the intake manifold (some just remove the wiper assembly) and this takes several hours. I would consider replacing the coils on the rear bank when replacing the plugs and only use OEM parts.

There is no harm in replacing the transmission filter, it just costs more to do the work.

I would go ahead and bleed/flush the brake fluid now as you do not have to touch it when replacing brake pads if it is done properly. You just compress the caliper piston back in to make room for the new pads.

Check the rear shocks for leaks as this is a known problem area, but I bet yours have already been replaced. Replacing them is easy and inexpensive.
LuizCA (12-17-20)
Old 12-17-20, 09:05 AM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
In the glove compartment you should have a thin book on warranty and maintenance. There is list of items that should be addressed based on milage and time. You can check with Lexus to see what services were done at their facility. Then it is a matter of catching up on unrecorded/missed items.
Salim
Thanks, Salim. I checked that book already, but since I'm not 100% sure when things were last replaced I kind of have to make an educated guess of when to do the maintenance. This is why I am planning to make all fluid changes, just to make sure everything is in good shape and will last for a long time. I called both Lexus in Calgary and only one of them has previous records. The most recent one is from 2014, so it doesn't help that much. The car was being serviced by a private mechanic.

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Congratulations on your purchase. Go to the Lexus drivers site, join for free, this is run by Lexus after all, then enter your VIN and it will let you see the maintenance and repair records of all work done at Lexus dealers on your RX. https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

The spark plugs are due to be done if not done already. However, the cost is quite high because to access the rear bank you have to remove the intake manifold (some just remove the wiper assembly) and this takes several hours. I would consider replacing the coils on the rear bank when replacing the plugs and only use OEM parts.
Thanks, Clutchless. When I was shopping for the RX350 I tried a couple of VIN numbers on the website you mentioned, but none of them showed up. Maybe it doesn't work in Canada?
I am going to include the brake fluid in this service then. My mechanic gave me a quote of 770 CAD for all the items I mentioned. I'm going to try and get a quote from a Toyota and a Lexus dealer, just for a matter comparison.

There are a few things I should have done when buying this car and making sure the spark plugs were in good condition is definitely one of them. Well, there is not much I can do now, but hopefully, they were replaced not too long ago.
Old 12-17-20, 02:15 PM
Clutchless

Any mechanic can pull one of the easy access front bank spark plugs in a couple of minutes and evaluate its condition to determine if they have been changed or are the original plugs.
Now we know the Lexus drivers site does not work in Canada.
Good Luck with your new ride.
LuizCA (12-18-20)
Old 12-18-20, 07:52 PM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! Thank you very much!

One last question. This is my first car in Canada, so I was hoping to develop a friendship with a local mechanic since it is nice to have someone who I can trust (plus they tend to be a little cheaper). However, the Toyota dealership is charging 14 dollars less for the service.

The only difference I could find is for the transmission fluid, as the dealer does not drop the pan, but replace the fluid by draining and making sure both are at the same temperature.

The local mechanic is very well rated and seems to be specialized in Japanese cars. He treated me very well and didn't seem the type of guy who recommends unnecessary services. However, he did not inspect the spark plugs during the inspection, saying it would require taking the entire cover off and it would take time. He is more expensive now, but in the long run, he may be cheaper. What do you guys think? Would you take it to the dealership or the private shop?
Old 12-19-20, 02:57 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

I always prefer to find a well-respected independent shop that is very familiar with my vehicle brand when I am faced with a repair that I decide not to do myself.
Old 12-19-20, 07:53 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If your local Toyota dealers will service Lexus, that’s probably your best option from a value perspective. With newer cars, constant staff training and investment in tools may simply be out of reach for small garages.

Where I live, Toyota will not service Lexus and a few indie garages are not necessarily less expensive especially if you want Toyota/Lexus parts. Even a brake job was only $150 cheaper with NAPA parts.

Last indie garage work for me was to repair a leak on exhaust pipe, about 1/3 the cost compared to the dealer.
Old 12-21-20, 01:20 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 542 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by lex_rx
Where I live, Toyota will not service Lexus
Was it one of those places where Toyota and Lexus are side by side (and probably owned by the same dealer)? That was the situation from the L dealer I bought mine from in Toronto, but I have received decent Toyota service out in the burbs for it. Look for a Toyota dealer unencumbered by agreements with the nearby Lexus dealer if you can.
Old 12-21-20, 02:07 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Even Toyota dealers without Lexus in the corporate family don’t want to touch my Lexus. Response has been we don’t have Lexus part numbers in our system.

Old 12-21-20, 04:24 PM
Clutchless

I took a Lexus ES350 to the local Priority Toyota for a transmission, coolant and brake fluid flush. They had no problems working on a Lexus. Once you remove the engine cover its the same as a Camry or Highlander. You just have to call around and ask them. However, this was in the USA and it appears things are different in Canada based on the experiences mentioned in the above posts.
Old 12-28-20, 11:58 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by LuizCA
Hi all,

I checked the forum for preventive maintenance and I was able to make a list of the things I want to address as soon as possible; however, I wanted your opinion before I make any decision. I have a 2010 RX350, 127k miles (205k KM), acquired 2 weeks ago, so I'm trying to start off on the right foot. I am trying to be very conservative because I want this car to last a long time, but I also don't want to make unnecessary replacements/waste money.
During the pre-purchase inspection, the mechanic said the car was in great shape, although he didn't check the spark plugs and transmission fluid. At first, my plan is to change even the fluids that are fine, this way I can plan ahead for the next maintenance schedule.

This is the list I made:
- Replace engine oil and filter
- Replace transmission fluid (my mechanic said he drops the pan and change the filters as well. I read Clutchless saying that this is not necessary and a lot of work, but is there any potential harm?)
- Replace differential and transfer case fluid
- Replace air and cabin filter
- Replace coolant

- Verify brake fluids (my idea was to replace this once I get new brakes, but they are 7mm on the front, and 8mm on the rear, so it may take a while)
- Verify serpentine belt and tensioner (Lexus says to inspect the "drive belts" every 10k miles)
- Verify spark plugs (is there any harm if I replace these only when they start to show any symptoms?)

Am I missing something? Or am I being too careful?
Being a '10, I'd swap out the oil hoses w/ metal ones vs the rubber ones which is a matter of time.
LuizCA (12-28-20)
Old 12-28-20, 01:32 PM
LuizCA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I took a Lexus ES350 to the local Priority Toyota for a transmission, coolant and brake fluid flush. They had no problems working on a Lexus. Once you remove the engine cover its the same as a Camry or Highlander. You just have to call around and ask them. However, this was in the USA and it appears things are different in Canada based on the experiences mentioned in the above posts.
I contacted just one Toyota dealership in Calgary and they were 100% willing to work on my Lexus for these basic maintenances. As Clutchless said, better give them a call/email.

Originally Posted by Felix
Being a '10, I'd swap out the oil hoses w/ metal ones vs the rubber ones which is a matter of time.
Thanks, Felix. I checked that during the pre-purchase inspection.

I decided to take it to an independent shop. Even though it is roughly the same price, I value the direct contact I will have with the mechanic rather than just being another number on a system. The owner is a mechanic with lots of certification and 20+ years of experience working with Toyota.
Old 01-24-21, 01:40 PM
RX10
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Maintenance Update to my 2010 RX.
Quick overview. Found my new to me RX in September’20 with less than 71K miles. Maintained at a Lexus dealership every 5K miles with complete and meticulous service records found on the Lexus service website. As noted in another thread, the vehicle was/is super clean and well kept.

Here’s a list of what “basic” maintenance has been performed on the vehicle prior to my ownership and over the past 4 months I’ve owned the vehicle.
PRIOR TO MY OWNERSHIP
- New shocks F/R
- Replaced hood and trunk holds
- Every service performed per Lexus recommended maintenance schedules with most service performed well before recommended
mileage mark
- Brakes and tires replaced
DURING MY OWNERSHIP (Just turned 75K miles)
- Coolant exchange
- Oil and filter change
- Oil cooling line changed to metal part version
- Transmission, Differential and Transfer Case fluid exchange (being performed this week)

After calling several indy shops and Lexus/Toyota dealerships who have the proper equipment to properly perform the transmission fluid exchange service, I scheduled service at a Toyota dealership who seemed knowledgeable of the service, said they have the special machine/equipment and perform said transmission services often. $570 out the door.

To the Club Lexus community...when I take the car in for the transmission service, are there any questions or recommendations I should consider asking the service tech that I should be aware of? One thing I was thinking was to ask for a general assessment of the condition of the fluid taken out of the vehicle. Also, ask how experienced the mechanic working on the car is with this unique and detail oriented service. Your thoughts please!?

After I get this transmission service completed this week, I think I’m where I need to be maintenance wise with my RX. Missing anything? Thanks gang!!
Old 01-24-21, 03:56 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by RX10
Maintenance Update to my 2010 RX.
Quick overview. Found my new to me RX in September’20 with less than 71K miles. Maintained at a Lexus dealership every 5K miles with complete and meticulous service records found on the Lexus service website. As noted in another thread, the vehicle was/is super clean and well kept.

Here’s a list of what “basic” maintenance has been performed on the vehicle prior to my ownership and over the past 4 months I’ve owned the vehicle.
PRIOR TO MY OWNERSHIP
- New shocks F/R
- Replaced hood and trunk holds
- Every service performed per Lexus recommended maintenance schedules with most service performed well before recommended
mileage mark
- Brakes and tires replaced
DURING MY OWNERSHIP (Just turned 75K miles)
- Coolant exchange
- Oil and filter change
- Oil cooling line changed to metal part version
- Transmission, Differential and Transfer Case fluid exchange (being performed this week)

After calling several indy shops and Lexus/Toyota dealerships who have the proper equipment to properly perform the transmission fluid exchange service, I scheduled service at a Toyota dealership who seemed knowledgeable of the service, said they have the special machine/equipment and perform said transmission services often. $570 out the door.

To the Club Lexus community...when I take the car in for the transmission service, are there any questions or recommendations I should consider asking the service tech that I should be aware of? One thing I was thinking was to ask for a general assessment of the condition of the fluid taken out of the vehicle. Also, ask how experienced the mechanic working on the car is with this unique and detail oriented service. Your thoughts please!?

After I get this transmission service completed this week, I think I’m where I need to be maintenance wise with my RX. Missing anything? Thanks gang!!
My $0.02:
Dont expect any master tech to work on your vehicle. Most likely you will get some one who has been shown how to do the procedure and hopefully he will follow the steps. When you get your vehicle back just crawl under and wipe the transmission down and put a cardboard under it. Next morning see if there are any drips.

The vehicle you have is a fine vehicle and needs little maintenance. I would urge you enjoy it and don't be a slave to it. I am saying this from my own experience as my first gen RX never needed more and at the end the demise was due to a reckless driver on the road ... 1/4 of a million miles + miles.

Salim

Quick Reply: Preventive maintenance - 2010 RX350