RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Waterpump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20 | 10:12 AM
Clutchless

Yes you should do it and they need the car to be cold to accurately measure the fluid drained and the amount poured back in. So you must leave it overnight. That is how I do it myself.

In the fine print in the maintenance record manual, it states that under severe duty conditions such as towing, etc you should change it at 60,000 miles.
Lexus does not care if it breaks down after the warranty is over and they no longer have to pay to repair it. Most will last 100,000 without a fluid change. If you want to drive it longer without any problems, then change your transmission fluid now.
The following users liked this post:
allendsup2 (12-29-20)
Old 12-29-20 | 10:18 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Yes you should do it and they need the car to be cold to accurately measure the fluid drained and the amount poured back in. So you must leave it overnight. That is how I do it myself.

In the fine print in the maintenance record manual, it states that under severe duty conditions such as towing, etc you should change it at 60,000 miles.
Lexus does not care if it breaks down after the warranty is over and they no longer have to pay to repair it. Most will last 100,000 without a fluid change. If you want to drive it longer without any problems, then change your transmission fluid now.
Thanks. I will get this done too. Sorry for asking so many questions as I do not have much knowledge about cars. Does it make sense to get rear differential oil and transfer case oil replaced too?
Old 12-29-20 | 10:28 AM
AlgoTrader
Driver

I agree with Clutchless. Manufacturers are saying "lifetime fluid", but they don't bother to define "lifetime" to the general consumer. It means "for the life of the warranty".

I bought my 13RX with 65K miles, and I flushed my trans (myself) at that time. The ATF was darker than new, though it was not black. I used Toyota WS ATF. Its a more complicated procedure to set the level than old school trans with dipsticks. I found I had to purchase the genuine toyota manual to get the correct procedure, but it can be done DIY.

I also changed the rear diff oil, and the front diff (ie "transfer case"). Those 2 are very easy to change compared to flushing the trans.

I have around 77K miles now, with no issues. I plan to flush my ATF every 40 to 50K miles. I tend to keep cars a very long time, averaging 16-17 years.

Last edited by AlgoTrader; 12-30-20 at 07:33 AM.
allendsup2 (01-04-21)
Old 12-30-20 | 04:46 AM
Clutchless

It is a good idea to change the transfer case and rear differential oils at your mileage considering they probably have never been changed. As AlgoTrader stated, they are easy to change and I will add that the cost is far less expensive to change them as both are simple drain and fill procedures.
allendsup2 (01-04-21)
Old 01-04-21 | 06:02 PM
Felix
Pole Position

I'd swap out the filter as well as clean the magnets vs a drain/fill.......
allendsup2 (01-04-21)
Old 01-04-21 | 07:43 PM
allendsup2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It is a good idea to change the transfer case and rear differential oils at your mileage considering they probably have never been changed. As AlgoTrader stated, they are easy to change and I will add that the cost is far less expensive to change them as both are simple drain and fill procedures.
I checked the history and seems differential oil was changed at 44k miles. I bought the car that time. Now it is at 96k miles so will get it replaced too.
Old 01-09-21 | 06:08 PM
powerslide
Rookie

These waterpumps are overbuilt. I have org fluid and pump at 98k. 2010. Getting ready to replace antifreeze. As far as the pump i have no worries unless it starts leaking out of the seep hole. I have seen 200k miles on these pumps. I have done nothing to this RWD RX350 except regular maintenance .No plugs, coils etc. But plugs soon at 100k. clean PVC valve.
allendsup2 (01-11-21)
Old 05-01-24 | 09:15 AM
Westy1
1st Gear

Default Referral

Hey Clutch and Allendsup…first and foremost thank you so much for sharing the Carspec folks. Problem is they are so popular now they don’t take new clients without a referral from current customer. Hoping and praying you could help a brother out. Looking for help on a RX350 ( yup, water pump) and a Camry my 18 year old can’t stop breaking. Please advise if you would be willing.

Last edited by Westy1; 05-02-24 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-02-24 | 12:35 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by powerslide
These waterpumps are overbuilt. I have org fluid and pump at 98k. 2010. Getting ready to replace antifreeze. As far as the pump i have no worries unless it starts leaking out of the seep hole. I have seen 200k miles on these pumps. I have done nothing to this RWD RX350 except regular maintenance .No plugs, coils etc. But plugs soon at 100k. clean PVC valve.
No. The water-pumps used in Toyota/Lexus engines are not overbuilt and they tend to fail(or start to) just after 100k miles. As mentioned keep an eye out for weeping from the water pump on a RX350 with over 100k miles. 200k miles on an original water pump without some coolant weeping is rare and just have gone unnoticed until it becomes a full on leak.

However, compared to many other makes the OEM Toyota water pumps are still better; since some of the other automakers have water pump issues even before 100k miles as a norm.

Last edited by carguy75; 05-02-24 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-03-24 | 06:21 PM
Chuckd30
Driver School Candidate

Mine has held up like a champ. Original is still going strong and leak free at 250k.
Old 05-04-24 | 02:00 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chuckd30
Mine has held up like a champ. Original is still going strong and leak free at 250k.
Of course. There is always someone on a forum that claims that their engine never fails or is special. Trust me; the water pumps in our engine start leaking(or weeping )as an rule by 200k miles. However, I cannot say that all RX350 water-pumps will leak and many can be leak free over 200k mile like you claim yours is.

I still will check for weeping(pink residue) and plan to change out a RX350 water-pump by 200k miles.

Did you own your RX350 for the whole 250k miles? The original water-pump may have been changed before you purchased your RX.
Old 05-04-24 | 09:09 AM
Chuckd30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy75
Of course. There is always someone on a forum that claims that their engine never fails or is special. Trust me; the water pumps in our engine start leaking(or weeping )as an rule by 200k miles. However, I cannot say that all RX350 water-pumps will leak and many can be leak free over 200k mile like you claim yours is.

I still will check for weeping(pink residue) and plan to change out a RX350 water-pump by 200k miles.

Did you own your RX350 for the whole 250k miles? The original water-pump may have been changed before you purchased your RX.
I'm not doubting your experience or whether or not you know anything, no need to get defensive. I was simply chiming in with an example that they can in fact last problem free. I'm likely an outlier and what you are saying could very well be the norm. We bought it new.
Old 05-04-24 | 09:19 AM
Clutchless

You can use this database of recommended repair shops from listeners of the old Car Talk car repair radio show, then cross check on Yelp or Google for more current info.
https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files
Old 05-04-24 | 06:21 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chuckd30
I'm not doubting your experience or whether or not you know anything, no need to get defensive. I was simply chiming in with an example that they can in fact last problem free. I'm likely an outlier and what you are saying could very well be the norm. We bought it new.
Not being defensive; just replying to your statement.

I have been part of many many forums over the years and there is always members who claim their cars never have problems even when everyone else does have similar issues. Not saying it cannot happen, but it gives a false sense of security for many owners that probably should be aware of an issue.

With that being said; you are only just stating that your water pump is still good at 250k miles so maybe there is hope that a RX350 water pump can go well over 200k miles with out any leaks or bad pulley bearings.

Last edited by carguy75; 05-05-24 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-05-24 | 08:14 AM
Clutchless

FYI the water pump on my 2016 Sienna failed at 37,000 miles and it has the same 2GR-Fe engine as the RX. It did not leak, but had an internal seal failure so it sounded like marbles rattling in a can, which was my clue that something was wrong. Point being that anything can fail on any car at any time.
carguy75 (05-05-24)

Quick Reply: Waterpump replacement