RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Waterpump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24 | 11:31 AM
Madcar
Rookie

I'm about to take on this job next week (replace water pump) on my 2013 RX - I'll be replacing the pump, tensioner / idler pullies, and thermostat.
I'm comfortable working on the car and do my own suspension / brake work / plus and so on - and will tackle most jobs that do not require pulling the engine.
There's a fair amount of good video available that take you though the process - but I wanted to ask members here that may have done this work:

Any tips on the process? Steps that may have caused issues or delays in completing the job? Things to look out for (trouble spots) that can get you in trouble? Short cuts (not that I'm trying to cut corners)?
I'd really appreciate any and all feedback on this job - I'm heading out on a long road trip (approx 4000 miles return) over summer. My water pump is fine right now but I have approx 120K miles on the original pump and want to replace now rather than on the road (where someone else would need to do it).

The following users liked this post:
carguy75 (05-18-24)
Old 05-18-24 | 12:31 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Originally Posted by Madcar
I'm about to take on this job next week (replace water pump) on my 2013 RX - I'll be replacing the pump, tensioner / idler pullies, and thermostat.
I'm comfortable working on the car and do my own suspension / brake work / plus and so on - and will tackle most jobs that do not require pulling the engine.
There's a fair amount of good video available that take you though the process - but I wanted to ask members here that may have done this work:

Any tips on the process? Steps that may have caused issues or delays in completing the job? Things to look out for (trouble spots) that can get you in trouble? Short cuts (not that I'm trying to cut corners)?
I'd really appreciate any and all feedback on this job - I'm heading out on a long road trip (approx 4000 miles return) over summer. My water pump is fine right now but I have approx 120K miles on the original pump and want to replace now rather than on the road (where someone else would need to do it).
I don't have any advice to give, but I am curious. I have a 2013 RX as well, but only 92K miles. I don't have any water pump issues. I just did a drain/refill of my coolant and may do it again in 7-8 months just so I am sure to dilute the old coolant. My car has a build date of Dec of 2012 (Canada), so I'm uncertain if my car has the updated/revised waterpump Toyota started using on the 2GR-FE. Would you happen to know if you have the revised pump, and what month/year was your RX built, and is it Canadian or Japanese built?
Old 05-18-24 | 12:54 PM
Madcar
Rookie

Sorry - I have no idea but heard about the revised pump - not sure if there is a build date where that took effect or if you only find out once you pull the pump.
Old 05-18-24 | 08:06 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Just review this video.
The following users liked this post:
Madcar (05-18-24)
Old 05-18-24 | 08:42 PM
Madcar
Rookie

Yup - his are the best out there - thanks
Old 05-19-24 | 02:03 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Yup - his are the best out there - thanks
No problem

If you are going to do the job right then this video will cover all the bases.
Old 05-19-24 | 02:00 PM
Madcar
Rookie

Originally Posted by carguy75
No problem

If you are going to do the job right then this video will cover all the bases.
He does put together a good tutorial -
My question in this thread is more about what the back yard mech might experience when they tackled this job -
These pro's can walk through this stuff with their eyes closed - and although they do a great job covering the steps, is there anything in the vid that he makes look easy that really isn't?
That's why I like to hear from those that do this stuff in their driveway (like me) and if there is anything they ran into that might not be as easy as it looks.

Old 05-19-24 | 08:24 PM
carguy75
Advanced

He does put together a good tutorial -
My question in this thread is more about what the back yard mech might experience when they tackled this job -
These pro's can walk through this stuff with their eyes closed - and although they do a great job covering the steps, is there anything in the vid that he makes look easy that really isn't?
That's why I like to hear from those that do this stuff in their driveway (like me) and if there is anything they ran into that might not be as easy as it looks.
I have never performed the water pump job on my RX. However, always be prepared to replace broken(lost) bolts, replace damaged hoses/clips, not having the proper tools like specific sized sockets(slim or shallow), etc. Be prepared for anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by carguy75:
Madcar (05-19-24), salimshah (05-22-24)