RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What's my next big expense?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21 | 02:16 PM
LARGEONE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hayk
You’re due for engine coolant at that mileage. Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (pink) comes pre-mixed. Capacity is around 3 gallons. Another good option is Pentofrost A4 on RockAuto.

First replacement: 100k miles or 10 years whichever comes first

Next replacement: every 50k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Thank you! I will check my notes, but I believe we did coolant a while back with brakes? I will have to research the Pentofrost A4 for future needs...haven't used it before. Thanks!
Old 02-12-21 | 10:26 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LARGEONE
Thank you! I will check my notes, but I believe we did coolant a while back with brakes? I will have to research the Pentofrost A4 for future needs...haven't used it before. Thanks!
Pentofrost is made by Pentosin a major OEM for German vehicles, they’re being distributed by CRP Industries out of Cranbury, NJ. I’ve used their Pentofrost A1 (red concentrate) coolant on my ES300 and now the Pentofrost A4 (pink pre-mix) with good results. Looks and smells just like OE. Also had to get a bunch of their CHF 11S Steering Fluid for a BMW project, which is probably their most famous fluid.
The following users liked this post:
LARGEONE (02-13-21)
Old 02-13-21 | 11:06 AM
LARGEONE
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-shocks-2.html

This is the shock/strut link. One forum member said the KYB was even softer than stock.
Old 02-14-21 | 09:38 AM
doczaggie
Driver School Candidate

I've been looking for a suspension upgrade for a while and glad I came across this thread. When you replaced the front struts did you also replace the front springs or keep the OEM ones?
Any suggestions for a rear sway bar?
Old 02-14-21 | 02:46 PM
LARGEONE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doczaggie
I've been looking for a suspension upgrade for a while and glad I came across this thread. When you replaced the front struts did you also replace the front springs or keep the OEM ones?
Any suggestions for a rear sway bar?
From what I have read, most people have kept the springs (unless they went with a full replacement unit), but they have replaced the top strut bearings. That's what I plan to do.

There is another forum post that gives some details on some links people are buying off of Flea-bay.

One other item I had a question about was wheel bearings...I have not seen where many people have had to mess with them? I assume they are the sealed cartridge type bearing and you just run them to "close to done"
Old 02-14-21 | 05:08 PM
Clutchless

doczaggie - Welcome to CL. there are no aftermarket sway bars for the RX. All you can do is replace the struts & shocks. Keep the OEM springs. Those aftermarket combo spring and strut sets are mostly junk. You are better off keeping the original springs etc and just replacing the strut and strut mount bearing and sometimes the strut mount. This has all been covered before in other threads about the struts and shocks.
I suggest you do some searching before asking questions as these issues have been covered before. The youngest RX 3rd gen is 6 years old and the oldest is 11, so many of us have needed to replace such parts before you joined.
Old 02-14-21 | 09:21 PM
doczaggie
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info It's helpful. Yes, I've seen the coilover stuff when looking for replacement shocks and didn't want to go down that path..
Old 02-15-21 | 10:59 AM
canuckaudi
Rookie

My RX350 2015 has 120k miles on it. I took one of the spark plug out to check it and the below is how it looked. It doesn't look worn out or anything. The car run pretty smooth. Gas mileage isn't great 12L/100km which is the real world mileage. Should I replace them? I don't want to if I don't have to. But from what I read from this forum that they need to be changed at this mileage. I was thinking of doing them myself but the back one are a PIA to change.

Old 05-29-21 | 12:57 PM
ejdossary
Driver

Default RX, The Greatest Vehicles 1!

Originally Posted by LARGEONE
, LARGEONEricnt, Don't forget to ADD water Pump lubricant when changing COOLANT !! See NAPA to acquire a supply !! Best Wishes, EJ Dossary, EE
The following users liked this post:
LARGEONE (05-29-21)
Old 05-31-21 | 02:46 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by canuckaudi
My RX350 2015 has 120k miles on it. I took one of the spark plug out to check it and the below is how it looked. It doesn't look worn out or anything. The car run pretty smooth. Gas mileage isn't great 12L/100km which is the real world mileage. Should I replace them? I don't want to if I don't have to. But from what I read from this forum that they need to be changed at this mileage. I was thinking of doing them myself but the back one are a PIA to change.

They look great, the maintenance is recommended based on mileage/years but I’ve heard these Iridium plugs easily last the recommended mileage so no need to worry about years.

Originally Posted by ejdossary
, LARGEONEricnt, Don't forget to ADD water Pump lubricant when changing COOLANT !! See NAPA to acquire a supply !! Best Wishes, EJ Dossary, EE
No water needed for pre-mixed coolant.
Old 06-01-21 | 03:39 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by canuckaudi

This is the way I look at it ..
How long do you intend to keep the RX [miles]?
How much you want to risk being stranded at the wrong place/time?
How much of a saving/expense [base it on answers to the two questions above] would you have by postponing the recommend service.
[HInt typically the answer to first is 250K miles+, so if you postpone by 70k miles or even 100k miles you still end up doing the plug replacement so might as well do it before you reach 150k miles ... just choose time that suits you].

Salim