RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Loss of audio

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-22, 03:12 PM
Burnman67
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loss of Audio - RX 350 2013

Reviving an older post for an unresolved audio issue that was posted back in 2021, by a different user, that is identical to the problem I have with my Lexus.

I realize that this is a common complaint but I didn’t see any recent posts so thought I would try again.

I have a 2013 RX350. Lost audio back in 2021 after my headlights and turn signals stopped working. That electrical issue was resolved by the dealer but the audio problem started shortly there after. Everything appears to function except there is no audio on the sound system (media and radio functions). I can scan through all stations and select AM/FM/CD/AUX and connect to BT. Volume control on steering wheel and on at head unit show nothing when going up or down. No cracking or hissing from any speakers. Checked Amp 1, 2 fuses and Radio 1, 2 and 3 fuses and all are good. I cycled the mute function both at the steering wheel and on the panel and when pressed they both show mute on briefly in the drop down panel. When I turn mute off there is no drop down so I can only assume that it is deactivated. All bells and chimes work fine, just nothing from the radio/media functions. Noticed that when you navigate to sound tabs, there is nothing listed in the DSP tab and you CAN’T adjust Sound Settings (Left or Right, Centre or Back settings) as they appear to be disabled - can’t use selector to change settings.

Trouble shooting to date:
* Inspected all fuses - normal
* Disconnected battery terminal (+) and reset audio system - No SOS button to reset on console of my model
* Removed AMP and did basic test to confirm it was getting power and was grounded.
* Ordered replacement Toyota/Lexus AMP which was installed and did not resolve the issue
* Removed radio head unit and did visual inspection - no signs of electrical shorting
* Checked wiring to all speakers and everything looks normal
* Have appointment booked with Lexus dealership to have a formal diagnostics performed in the next few weeks

To date, I have spent 100+ hours and much $$$ trying to resolve this issue and I’m totally stumped. If there is anyone who has heard of this issue and has some good suggestions I would be all ears.

Thank you in advance!

Old 11-07-22, 03:18 PM
Burnman67
7th Gear

Thanks for responding back. I managed to get my AMP out and ordered a new one but with no success. Totally stumped. Reposted your original thread with some modifications to see if anyone has a fix.
Old 11-07-22, 06:37 PM
Yahmei
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silvermullet
Hello,

my audio just starting acting up tonight. when i pressed SOS, the voice only came from the passenger front speaker as yours did.

were you able to find resolution to your issue?

thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by Burnman67
Hi TxTarheel,

I have a 2013 RX350 and developed the exact same issues. Did you ever find a fix to your problem?

Thanks

Oh geez super late reply, but replacing the amp fixed this issue for me. Since pressing the SOS button still made a sound, I figured that the speakers were still working.

This should be the last thing to do since the used OEM amplifiers are pretty expensive, just make sure it's the correct amplifier (I believe there were different amps for the 9 speaker, 12 speaker, and 15 speaker system) - I had to pull mine out to get the part number prior to buying one off from eBay.
Old 11-08-22, 04:50 AM
Burnman67
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply Yahmei.
Old 12-19-22, 06:29 AM
Burnman67
7th Gear

RESOLVED - After having spent many hours and $$$ (see above) I reached out to Joe Flaherty, President at OEM Auto Audio Inc. whose company specializes in audio electronics and AMP testing and repair. Based on my situation, he told me to try the following:It’s very likely to be a junction connection that is located in between the amplifier and head-unit. The smaller connector that plugs in the amplifier is the data connection between the head-unit and amplifier. Instead of using one long set of cables, Lexus uses a short section that then connects to a longer section to go to the amplifier. This junction connection is located below the center console in a location similar to what the picture below shows in an IS350. Simply locate this connector, unplug it, spray electrical contact cleaner in both sides and work in and out a few times.
I located the cable at the base of the center console, where it meets the dash. There is a small panel close to the floor, under the console, that is easily removed that has an AC jack. I disconnected the cable from the junction connector and restarted the car without the cable connected. I then reconnected the cable, restarted the car and had the audio restored.

According to Joe, many of the dealers are not aware of this solution. Good luck and a big thanks to Joe Flaherty. See his contact information below:

Joe Flaherty

OEM Auto Audio Inc.

President

315-430-8087 (call or text)

8043 Broadfield Road

Manlius, NY 13104

OEM Auto Audio Inc.

eBay Store
The following 3 users liked this post by Burnman67:
Brownd3max (02-27-24), Clutchless (12-19-22), travj (12-03-23)
Old 12-19-22, 08:06 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 419 Likes on 335 Posts

Well done. This tip could save owners a ton of money as the years pass. Is there a corrosion issue with that electrical connector, or does road vibration eventually interfere with the contact points?
Old 12-19-22, 10:11 AM
Burnman67
7th Gear

Yes, had I done this from the start it would have been a game changer for me. I’m not certain it was a corrosion issue, however, the problem started last February when we had a very mild/humid stretch of weather. I live in Ontario, Canada.
Old 01-26-23, 11:41 AM
mseandel
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RESOLVED - After having spent many hours and $$$ (see above) I reached out to Joe Flaherty, President at OEM Auto Audio Inc. whose company specializes in audio electronics and AMP testing and repair. Based on my situation, he told me to try the following:It’s very likely to be a junction connection that is located in between the amplifier and head-unit. The smaller connector that plugs in the amplifier is the data connection between the head-unit and amplifier. Instead of using one long set of cables, Lexus uses a short section that then connects to a longer section to go to the amplifier. This junction connection is located below the center console in a location similar to what the picture below shows in an IS350. Simply locate this connector, unplug it, spray electrical contact cleaner in both sides and work in and out a few times.
I located the cable at the base of the center console, where it meets the dash. There is a small panel close to the floor, under the console, that is easily removed that has an AC jack. I disconnected the cable from the junction connector and restarted the car without the cable connected. I then reconnected the cable, restarted the car and had the audio restored.

According to Joe, many of the dealers are not aware of this solution. Good luck and a big thanks to Joe Flaherty. See his contact information below:

Joe Flaherty

OEM Auto Audio Inc.

President

315-430-8087 (call or text)

8043 Broadfield Road

Manlius, NY 13104

OEM Auto Audio Inc.

eBay Store
Hi, this is super helpful. Exact same scenario on my 2013 RX 450h. I want to be able to locate the connector in question but, for some reason, I am not able to see the picture you mentioned of the junction connection from an IS350. Could you please describe in more detail where the junction connection is located? After I remove the center console, where do I look? Will it be right there or are there additional panels, etc. to remove.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-23, 01:50 PM
Burnman67
7th Gear

Default Loss of audio

Hi, will post some pictures tomorrow. Didn’t need to remove centre console.

Update: At the very front of the 2013 RX350 console, where the console touches the floor of the car, you will see a plastic panel on the base of the console that can be pried open by using a flat head screwdriver. (Please note, I first attempted to locate the audio cable via the main centre console but it actually runs under the floor and can only be accessed by opening the access panel at the base of the console where it meets the dash)

Once the panel is removed, you will have access to the audio cable that runs under the floor of the vehicle from the AMP (located in the rear compartment) to the radio head unit in the dash. I accessed the cable and the connector from the passenger side. The cable is black and runs up to a grey connector that you can access at the top of the opened compartment. It was difficult to access by hand, to disconnect and reconnect, but it can be done. Here is a picture of the disconnected connector:

I’m not sure if this helped but I started the Lexus without the cable and connector being attached. Once I reconnected the audio cable, I then restarted the Lexus and had all audio restored.

I apologize for not being able to provide better pictures but I am out of town and this is the only one I had on my phone.

Good luck and please let me know if this resolved your issue.

Last edited by Burnman67; 02-03-23 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Updating
The following 3 users liked this post by Burnman67:
abieakhand (02-13-23), mseandel (02-01-23), travj (12-03-23)
Old 02-05-23, 04:00 PM
mseandel
2nd gear

Default 2013 Rx 450H no audio

Burnman67 this is again super helpful. You may (or may not) have solved my problem. For the benefit of all others with this annoying problem, I will summarize: exact same story as Burnman67 except I have a 2013 Rx 450h. Same symptoms (no audio, no volume control response, everything else fine, checked fuses, sent out amp for repair, checked continuity, etc.) still no sound. As I was putting my amp back in, I tested once again, no sound. Turned car on and off a few times and audio finally came back on. After about 5 minutes, sound (and volume control etc) started cutting in and out, a few seconds then a few seconds off. Now, I am thinking this has to be a bad connection. So, I located the connector described above at the base of the dash. In my car, it is just above a small panel that holds the front row cigarette lighter. Couldn't see it directly but I was able to stick my phone in the hole and took a picture which matches yours. I jiggled it and now the system seems to be working. I can't quite imagine how to disconnect the connector without taking more of the console/dash apart since I can't even see directly in there, but hopefully the problem is solved and I won't have to actually disconnect it and clean it. OTOH, I am not 100% convinced that this is the problem. But thanks again for all the info. And so it goes...
The following 2 users liked this post by mseandel:
Burnman67 (02-05-23), travj (12-03-23)
Old 02-13-23, 04:54 PM
abieakhand
1st Gear

Default Worked for me as well, 2015 Lexus RX 350 Base

Hi, will post some pictures tomorrow. Didn’t need to remove centre console.

Update: At the very front of the 2013 RX350 console, where the console touches the floor of the car, you will see a plastic panel on the base of the console that can be pried open by using a flat head screwdriver. (Please note, I first attempted to locate the audio cable via the main centre console but it actually runs under the floor and can only be accessed by opening the access panel at the base of the console where it meets the dash)

Once the panel is removed, you will have access to the audio cable that runs under the floor of the vehicle from the AMP (located in the rear compartment) to the radio head unit in the dash. I accessed the cable and the connector from the passenger side. The cable is black and runs up to a grey connector that you can access at the top of the opened compartment. It was difficult to access by hand, to disconnect and reconnect, but it can be done. Here is a picture of the disconnected connector:

I’m not sure if this helped but I started the Lexus without the cable and connector being attached. Once I reconnected the audio cable, I then restarted the Lexus and had all audio restored.

I apologize for not being able to provide better pictures but I am out of town and this is the only one I had on my phone.

Good luck and please let me know if this resolved your issue.

worked perfectly as a solution for me. Needed to remove both the black and greg cables and then plugged them back in to fix it
The following 2 users liked this post by abieakhand:
Burnman67 (02-14-23), travj (12-03-23)
Old 02-14-23, 04:22 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 419 Likes on 335 Posts

Well done. I hope I can remember this thread if I ever need it....
The following users liked this post:
Burnman67 (02-14-23)
Old 10-22-23, 07:13 PM
sleekspeed22
7th Gear

Any chance you can share a picture of the panel I should pull out to look for these cables. I've been having intermittent audio issues on my 2015 RX350. A couple time the audio stopped when the passenger door was slammed or braking hard. turn off the car and sometime the audio comes back. I pulled some panels off on the passenger side foot well and there is a cluster of wires there. unplugged and replugged. didn't solve the issue. Wonder if a loose speaker wire in the passenger door could cause these issues. I'm grasping at straws.

Last edited by sleekspeed22; 10-23-23 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-23-23, 07:04 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,171 Likes on 999 Posts

The wires referred to are in the center console. Re-read posts 20 - 26. They could be affected by the door being shut.
I doubt a loose wire in the passenger door would affect more than that speaker. You can always pull the door panel off and look, but I doubt that is the case, especially if it works otherwise.

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-23-23 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-24-23, 08:18 AM
sleekspeed22
7th Gear

Default Sorry I'm being dumb... where should I look?

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The wires referred to are in the center console. Re-read posts 20 - 26. They could be affected by the door being shut.
I doubt a loose wire in the passenger door would affect more than that speaker. You can always pull the door panel off and look, but I doubt that is the case, especially if it works otherwise.
Sorry I'm being dumb... where should I look? Did I open up the wrong area? Should I disassemble more. I'm a visual person so pic help me more that text.

Center console opened up

Quick Reply: Loss of audio