RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 rx350 has power but dead.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 02:55 PM
chemist
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 rx350 has power but dead.

Ive been working on this problem and its being difficult. when I press the push start button, car does nothing.

I have new key fob batteries. New car battery. Ground to body looks good. Can use key fob to open all windows, open the gate, lock and unlock doors. Start button doesn't goto accessory mode or try to start the vehicle. Start button doesn't show any colored indication light. The only light on my dash is the doors open light. Odb2 reader won't work until im in acc. Checked many fuses none blown

I could use the help and thank you

Last edited by chemist; 03-10-21 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-11-21, 05:04 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,192 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Have your new battery tested. It may just need a charge. Often these new batteries sit on the self so long they require a charge to work properly.
This happened to my neighbor and after I loaned him my charger it took all day to bring the battery back up. He has had no problems since then.
Old 03-11-21, 07:15 AM
chemist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Have your new battery tested. It may just need a charge. Often these new batteries sit on the self so long they require a charge to work properly.
This happened to my neighbor and after I loaned him my charger it took all day to bring the battery back up. He has had no problems since then.
I've tried jumping the car but I will get a battery charger to try that out. What kind do you have?
Old 03-11-21, 03:42 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,192 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Mine was an inheritance from my brother-in-law and I don't know how old it is. It was new in the box in his garage. It must have been expensive because it will charge fast, or slow, or provide enough power to jump start a car. Just look around on Amazon or Harbor Freight.
The following users liked this post:
chemist (03-11-21)
Old 03-11-21, 06:12 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I am leaning towards a bad Brake (Light) Switch. If your RX has remote start, are you able to remote start the RX? If those are not the issue, check your Ignition relays, I believe there was a TSB for Toyotas and Lexus of that Period.
Old 03-11-21, 07:05 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Few things to check ...
Apply brakes and have some one verify the tail brake lamps are lit.
Confirm the display shows you are in Park or Neutral as well as shove the the gear shifter to P or N

Salim
Old 03-12-21, 08:17 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I think your Start button is not working.

When you press the start button without key inside the car, the dashboard displays a message that says "No key detected"

When you try to start it, but the brake pedal switch is not working, the dashboard will say "Press the brake pedal"

When you try to start it, but the gear shift is not in Park, the dashboard will say "Shift to Park"

You're getting nothing, that means the computer is not aware that you're trying to start the car.

Pull the start button out and test it. Maybe the switch is bad, or the connector came loose. That's the first thing I would do.

Last edited by Non; 03-12-21 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-12-21, 11:34 AM
chemist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Non
I think your Start button is not working.

When you press the start button without key inside the car, the dashboard displays a message that says "No key detected"

When you try to start it, but the brake pedal switch is not working, the dashboard will say "Press the brake pedal"

When you try to start it, but the gear shift is not in Park, the dashboard will say "Shift to Park"

You're getting nothing, that means the computer is not aware that you're trying to start the car.

Pull the start button out and test it. Maybe the switch is bad, or the connector came loose. That's the first thing I would do.
I've been leaning into that perhaps the switch went bad.
Old 03-13-21, 07:22 PM
chemist
Driver School Candidate

So I'm waiting on a replacement switch. I will give an update about the results. Thank you for your help.
The following users liked this post:
canuckaudi (03-14-21)
Old 03-18-21, 10:55 AM
chemist
Driver School Candidate

Default New switch.

So I got the new start button. Still same issue and nothing changed.
Old 03-18-21, 11:35 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Just want to confirm, it says that the start button does not go into accessory mode but your OBD2 device works when it goes into accessory mode. So does the push button at least put the car into accessory mode and then run mode? Just does not activate the starter?
Have you checked the brake switch as someone else posted?
Old 03-18-21, 01:19 PM
chemist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by afpj
Just want to confirm, it says that the start button does not go into accessory mode but your OBD2 device works when it goes into accessory mode. So does the push button at least put the car into accessory mode and then run mode? Just does not activate the starter?
Have you checked the brake switch as someone else posted?
Start doesnt go into accessory. Odb2 doesn't work because it doesn't go into accessory. Push button does nothing. Like nothing happens when you press it. I've put the car into accessory mode without depressing the brake when the car functioned

Get back to you after checking of brake switch

Last edited by chemist; 03-18-21 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-11-21, 11:19 AM
chemist
Driver School Candidate

so i changed the stop switch on the break pedal. so far its still dead. could it be some bad module or computer?
Old 04-12-21, 06:29 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by chemist
so i changed the stop switch on the break pedal. so far its still dead. could it be some bad module or computer?
It sounds like it could be a bad computer module.
Do you have a way to test the switches? Sounds like you already replaced some switches, but did you test the old ones to see if they work?
Old 04-12-21, 07:20 AM
chemist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Non
It sounds like it could be a bad computer module.
Do you have a way to test the switches? Sounds like you already replaced some switches, but did you test the old ones to see if they work?
I didn't due to replacing them with new oem parts. Since changing them didn't change anything. My assumption that it is elsewhere. Is there instructions on how to find and test my computer. I read that there are places where I can get it checked and fixed. Haven't found information about this.

Quick Reply: 2013 rx350 has power but dead.