RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Driver exterior door handle removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 06:57 PM
Madcar
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Driver exterior door handle removal

I pulled the door handle of the drivers door today and into problems when I tried to reinstall it.
The handle is easy to remove (online tutorial helped) but the video didn't show him reinstalling.
That's where my trouble started - in my case, it is not working out.
I've been working on cars for 30 years and cannot figure out what the problem is in getting the handle back on.
It should go back in the way it came out but I can't get the handle to move far enough forward for the catch to engage.
The handle needs to be pushed towards the front of the car in order for it to seat properly - but that is harder than it should be.
I can't get it to move forward far enough - and that means the handle mech that releases the door latch, will not engage.

Anyway, I've been at it for several hours and can't get it to seat properly - if anyone has taken the handle off and reinstalled, I'd appreciate any tips.
I've searched and can't find any info on the forum that talked about this problem
Thanks

Last edited by Madcar; 03-20-21 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-21-21, 06:40 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,203 Likes on 1,029 Posts

You probably have already viewed the youtube videos on how to take your outside door handle off. It appears your problem is they don't show how to install it. I would search again under Toyota Highlander as it is probably almost the same as the RX.
You may have to remove the interior trim panel to access the rods etc that connect to the handle.
Old 03-21-21, 07:12 AM
Madcar
Rookie

Thanks for the reply - yes, I've seen the video on how to remove. Not the exact handle because mine has the electronics for the unlock sensor - but close enough. Unfortunately, there is nothing on installing.
I was able to get the handle side in - now I can't get the right hand side of the assembly in - this is the pce that is secured by the screw hidden under the rubber grommet. I'm unable to align the screw no matter how much I make slight adjustments to the positioning - and since you're working blind when aligning the screw, it's impossible to tell where the error is.
If I remove the interior panel, will this give me access to the handle assembly? If I can see what is going on from behind, I can likely figure this out. It looks like there is no opening to get at the handle from the inside (thus the reason it is mounted from the outside) - at least that's what I assume.
Is there anyone out there that has actually removed the handle?
Old 03-21-21, 08:13 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

If it was my vehicle I would remove the interior panel as that may provide the view you need to attach the outside handle.
Old 03-21-21, 09:28 AM
Madcar
Rookie

I'll need to take it in -
I looks like the issue is due to the handle not sliding forward far enough to allow the lock mechanism to seat properly. the handle needs to slide forward an exact amount to allow the lock to sit in the correct position next to it.
I can't get the screw on the inside of the door to align with the lock and this makes it impossible to install. I won't be able to see this from inside based on pics I've looked at.
Be careful removing the handles - they come off easy but are not easy to reseat in the original position (at least in my experience) - if you are off a hair, the lock is impossible to attach with that screw on the inside of the door not aligning perfectly
Thanks for your help
Old 03-21-21, 10:54 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Try a local body shop for advice or maybe they will do it. It cannot cost that much on an hourly basis for what to them would be a 15 minute job.
Old 03-21-21, 01:51 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 435 Likes on 347 Posts

^^ What he said. A body shop would be your least costly option. Plus, they do this all day every day.
Old 03-21-21, 02:48 PM
Madcar
Rookie

Thanks for the body shop tip -
I asked a friend over who works at body shop -
Sure enough, he knew exactly what I was struggling with.
This is an issue with this style of door handle and it's very hard to record the problem based on where it is and how hard it would be to get a camera / phone in on the areas that you'd need to record.
Probably why there is nothing that I could find online to show this problem and the fix.

He came by and had it back together in 5 minutes.
He showed me what what was causing all the trouble:

When you slip the handle back in and push it forward to lock it into place, you also need to align the latch inside the door with the hook at the end of the post on one end of the handle (closest to the lock).
The latch needs to be pulled toward you so that the hook can catch it - if you don't do this first, the catch actually gets in the way and stops you from being able to slide the handle forward that last 1/8" (and that's all it takes to made this job impossible).

To align the latch, he had to push the handle half way into the opening on the door and then use a screwdriver to pull the latch toward you - this is tricky and unless you knew this before hand, you'd have a real hard time figuring it out because once the handle is in the door, you can't see the small latch and would not know if is in the way or that it needs to be pulled forward before you can set the handle in place.

Anyway, if anyone has to remove a handle, keep the above in mind or you will waste hours like I did for what should have been a 15 minute job

Last edited by Madcar; 03-21-21 at 03:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (03-21-21)
Old 04-21-21, 12:37 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you have to remove the interior panel to do this project? If so what video did you use as reference?
Old 04-21-21, 04:06 PM
Madcar
Rookie

No - you don't have to remove the the interior panel - video below for removing. I couldn't find anything to help he reinstall. I added a few points above -

The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (04-21-21)
Old 04-21-21, 05:02 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Thank-you! I saw this while searching YouTube earlier but wasn't 100% it would work for the 2010+ model year, but now that I'm actually taking a closer look at my door setup it looks pretty much the same.

I removed my vinyl wrap this past weekend and just have the door handles left to do. I really didn't want to take the interior panel apart so I was going to leave it be. Hopefully I can figure out how to put it back together when I'm done!
Thank-you for all the information you provided in this thread!
Old 04-21-21, 07:37 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Good news is the front door handles were a piece of cake, bad news is the rear door handles can't be removed without taking off the interior panel first - that was a little more work. Almost done though, and soon my beautiful Tungsten Pearl will be shining through everywhere
Old 04-24-21, 08:06 AM
Madcar
Rookie

Good to hear you had less trouble than I did with reinstalling the fronts - good luck the rears
Old 04-26-21, 04:45 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Thanks, she’s all done. Kept the roof black though, I like the panoramic look. Idk if I’ll ever put the rack back on.

Last edited by RadiantX45; 04-26-21 at 08:00 PM.