RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Front Strut Install ISSUES - Bilstein B6

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 03:06 PM
LARGEONE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Strut Install ISSUES - Bilstein B6

EDIT: See post #16 for correct B6 part numbers for the front.

Before I return these Bilstein Struts back to RockAuto, please help me understand what went wrong! If you installed the Highlander Bilstein B6 FRONT struts, let me know if you had similar issues and how you solved them. The B6 shocks on the rear went on very simply and they ride AWESOME. So, I was excited to replace my front struts as well which are shot.

This is on a 2013 RX350 F SPORT

When I removed the original spring from the strut body, I immediately noticed that the spring was not going to go onto the new strut. The lower spring perch is 180 degrees off from the one that came off the RX. The lower plate is also 1/2" larger in diameter than the stock one, so my spring compressors won't make it around the new strut either. The second picture shows the rubber spring isolator if I align the isolator with the way the spring perch goes...since it is 180 degrees off, and the shock is not centered, there is no way to use the pre-formed rubber isolator on the new strut body. Very frustrating!!! I ended up putting the old strut back on the car until I figure out what to do from here?

This picture best shows the two lower shock mounts and that they are 180 degrees from each other. It also shows the slight size difference which is causing issues with my spring compressors.

If I align the rubber isolator with the way the spring is supposed to sit, this is where the Isolator would fall since the shock is not actually centered at this point.

Here are the Bilstein part numbers I purchased...supposed to fit 2015 Highlander (and according to this forum, the 2013 RX350 ):

PLEASE HELP

TIA
Attached Files
File Type: zip
picsbilstein.zip (487.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by LARGEONE; 05-05-21 at 12:56 PM. Reason: corrected information on struts
The following users liked this post:
alisher (04-22-21)
Old 04-18-21, 03:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

According to bilsteinus.com they have no strut that fits your car. Did you check the Toyota/Lexus part numbers?
Old 04-18-21, 08:48 PM
Geebr200
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Interestingly enough, going through the forums lots said it was compatible and I purchased teh b6's for the same reason, but have yet to receive them.
Old 04-19-21, 05:50 AM
LARGEONE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Geebr200
Interestingly enough, going through the forums lots said it was compatible and I purchased teh b6's for the same reason, but have yet to receive them.
Exactly...they were on back-order for so long and finally started coming in stock. I got them, and threw the rears on immediately. Easy job. Like 45 mins for both sides. And the ride quality is great.

Let me know what your front buckets look like. Do you have an F-Sport? Or regular RX? I am wondering whether this may only be a problem on the F-Sport?

P
Old 04-19-21, 07:14 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

It should be the same for both regular and F Sport. The B4 and B6 should be the same physically, one is just stiffer.

Yes that strut is not listed for the RX, but many other struts and shocks are cross listed for both the RX350 and the Highlander. These include Sachs and Monroe. I made a cross reference chart and will search for it.

Your zip photo with the spring compressor looks like you are comparing left and right struts? Maybe Bilstein just put the wrong labels on the wrong struts? You should contact Rock Auto and Bilstein.

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-19-21 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 12:14 PM
LARGEONE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It should be the same for both regular and F Sport. The B4 and B6 should be the same physically, one is just stiffer.

Yes that strut is not listed for the RX, but many other struts and shocks are cross listed for both the RX350 and the Highlander. These include Sachs and Monroe. I made a cross reference chart and will search for it.

Your zip photo with the spring compressor looks like you are comparing left and right struts? Maybe Bilstein just put the wrong labels on the wrong struts? You should contact Rock Auto and Bilstein.
You have keen eyes Clutchless. The picture with the Bilstein strut next to the spring compressed strut was the wrong Bilstein. I realized it right after I took the picture that I had the passenger side instead of the driver. You are on it, man! Sorry for the confustion.

I did, in fact, check to see if I could switch the right and left, but it is not possible because the springs are wound in the opposite directions.

I am trying to figure out my best approach from here. Either I order another aftermarket strut, and take the chance of having a similar issue. Or, I order the OEM strut and live with the semi-crappy OEM ride. I know that the Bilsteins will ride a lot better...I just can't figure out a way to make these work with my springs? I wish there was someone else that has been able to figure this out? I think I could get it to work if I could get a lower rubber spring insulator from Bilstein that fits their 180 degree off design. I could get a shop with a different type of compressor to put the springs in for me. I guess yet another option would be to get the full assembly...new spring and all...in KYB or Monroe or....??? Then I wouldn't have to worry about spring vs strut compatibility, but I will have to worry about a crappy ride

I'll probably be eating the shipping back to RockAuto as well Bummer.
Old 04-19-21, 12:41 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I ordered after market struts from Amazon and they fit perfectly and the ride is not too bad either. If they last the next 3 years I'm happy.
Old 04-19-21, 04:22 PM
Clutchless

I know this is obvious, but Make sure you do not have the right and left struts mixed up. Then if it still does not look right, take one to a local auto parts store and compare it to a different strut for the same vehicle.
Old 04-19-21, 07:51 PM
LARGEONE
Driver School Candidate

Looking online today, I had a hard time finding struts that are specifically for the F-Sport. Lexus lists the F-Sport struts as a different part number than the Base RX350. You probably also already know that there are differences in the Base Japan vs NA versions. And, while the base NA struts will fit my F-Sport. I like the stiffer, more aggressive suspension on the F-Sport. I don't like the Cadillac ride of the base models...super cush, but not so sporty.

When looking up the struts for the Base RX 350, I saw lots of cross references to the highlander front struts. However, most of the references were for 2010 to 2013 highlander. The struts I ordered were the part numbers that I saw recommended on some other ClubLexus posts, but I found those part numbers under the 2015 Highlander. Not sure if this made the difference or not? But either way, since I could not find struts that I was 100% sure would be suitable for the F-Sport, I ended up buying Lexus OEM struts. I get a discount through my Toyota 4X4 off-road club at our local dealer, so I was able to get the struts for under $190 each. I know this is a lot more than the aftermarket, but I just didn't want to run all over trying to figure out which strut would work. If the new OEM struts ride poorly, then I will consider doing more research, but for now, I'm giving up on the Bilstein fronts and will try to sell them to a Highlander owner if RockAuto won't take them in return?

Thank you for all of the comments...I hope someone on the forum figures out how to use Bilstein B6 up front, because the ride from the rears is amazing. The car already rides a TON better just replacing the rears. Bilstein makes a great product.

EDIT: Thank you Clutchless for all of your help on this. If I figure it out, I will definitely post up for others to be able to take advantage of the Bilstein ride.
Old 04-20-21, 04:30 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

So....

Do the Bilstein B6 front struts indeed fit my wife's 2015 RX350 FWD (it is not an F-Sport model)?

I know when the time comes for new rear shocks I will be installing the B6 units. Just want to make certain I can do the same when the time comes for new front struts.
Old 04-20-21, 05:15 AM
Clutchless

I am surprised after all the posts that no one else had actually attempted the front Bilstein struts. It appears they may have enlarged the spring's diameter with the 2014 revision that gave the Highlander the same rear suspension as the RX. I wonder if the 2014 RX also has those larger diameter front springs?

The Sachs (alleged) F-Sport application front struts I bought, which are now hard to find were parts numbers 317642 & 317643.
https://www.autobarn.net/sophioitem.html

This link to an Australian car parts place cross-references the Sachs strut to the TRW, Lexus, Toyota and many other brands part numbers and may be usefull for cross checking. https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/sachs-317-643

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-21-21 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-20-21, 06:18 AM
LARGEONE
Driver School Candidate

Clutchless,

I would be careful to assume that the "sport ride" struts from Sachs were meant to be F-Sport, especially if there is a difference in the spring rate on the F-Sport model. The strut can be made to be a sportier feel for the non-F-Sport spring.

I am still awaiting someone who has actually put these B6s on the front, especially someone who has an F-Sport model. I could not find anyone in my search on this site or on the internet in general. Another data point with my attempt, so some day we will figure this out. RockAuto accepted my return on my dime, but with their shipping it actually was a cheap screw-up

I'll let you know how the OEM F-Sport struts work out.

Paul
Old 04-20-21, 06:26 AM
Geebr200
Driver

I am in the same spot, though I haven't received my bilsteins yet.

Is there someone on here that installed b6 fronts? Like OP said all references are the 2015 highlander, so that's what I bought.
Old 04-20-21, 12:04 PM
LARGEONE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Geebr200
I am in the same spot, though I haven't received my bilsteins yet.

Is there someone on here that installed b6 fronts? Like OP said all references are the 2015 highlander, so that's what I bought.
Do you have the F-Sport? At least you'll have my pictures to compare to your Bilsteins. You should be able to tell before removing your strut whether you are in the same boat I was in (i.e. 180 deg off).
Old 04-20-21, 01:11 PM
Geebr200
Driver

Originally Posted by LARGEONE
Do you have the F-Sport? At least you'll have my pictures to compare to your Bilsteins. You should be able to tell before removing your strut whether you are in the same boat I was in (i.e. 180 deg off).
I have a regular rx350 so fingers crossed

Quick Reply: Front Strut Install ISSUES - Bilstein B6