RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tailgate stopped opening automatically

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-21, 08:16 AM
sklein
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate stopped opening automatically

My 2013 RX350 rear door stopped opening automatically when I push the opener on the exterior of the door. If still functions with the button inside the car and the key fob. It will also close automatically with all options including the button on the bottom of the door when it's open. I've checked the button in the glove box and it is on. Any ideas?
Old 05-18-21, 11:35 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Do you mean the rear door unlocks but doesn't lift? Or nothing happens when you press the button?

If nothing happens when you press the button, then the button itself, or the wires, or the connector may be the problem.
Old 05-18-21, 11:43 AM
sklein
Driver School Candidate

Non, thank you for responding. When I push the button on the exterior of the rear door the latch releases but I have to manually raise the door. Once raised I can push the auto close button and it will close. Any ideas?
Old 05-19-21, 06:26 AM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

hmm!
I only know of 2 ways to make the trunk hatch lift under motor power
1. Button on the remote.
2. Button on the dash.
3. Square button needs to be programmed [correction]

At the hatch, one has to lift the tail manually ... you can lock and unlock doors.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-20-21 at 09:44 PM. Reason: PS .. correction ... members tell me it can be programmed.
Old 05-19-21, 06:35 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Since it appears the motor works, it sounds like the settings got reprogrammed. Did you change out the car battery recently? I can't remember if this is a setting you can do from the menu on the nav screen or just tech stream.
Old 05-19-21, 07:02 AM
sklein
Driver School Candidate

afpj, We have had the battery replaced and that could be the issue. My year, 2013, does not have the ability to reset on the screen so it looks like a visit to the dealer. Thanks! Sheila
Old 05-19-21, 12:29 PM
sklein
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help. I contacted the dealer today and he said it just needs to be reprogrammed. I asked what it would cost and he responded "only the gas to get here"! Gotta love that
Old 05-19-21, 10:09 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
hmm!
I only know of 2 ways to make the trunk hatch lift under motor power
1. Button on the remote.
2. Button on the dash.

At the hatch, one has to lift the tail manually ... you can lock and unlock doors.

Salim
Depends on your car or maybe package. My RX has a small button to lock and unlock and right next to it is a rectangular button that upon pressing will open the trunk.
Old 05-20-21, 09:19 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

My 2010 when you squeeze the button it just allows you to manually raise it. It might be a programming thing to have it pop open but I kind of like it. At first it was a this is weird moment, but then it quickly grew on me. The 2008 highlander limited that I had years ago and the 19 RX I had would very slowly auto open when u pressed the button on the handle and if you tried to just pry it open it felt like you were grinding the motor. The 2010 RX has no resistance so I can quickly and easily pop it open manually and then press then the button to close it as I walk into the car. My 19 had a cool feature where u would dbl tap the auto close button and it would close and then lock itself so you wouldn’t have to wait for it to close and then hit the little button or the fob.

Last edited by ellocovg; 05-20-21 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-20-21, 09:33 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ellocovg
My 2010 when you squeeze the button it just allows you to manually raise it. It might be a programming thing to have it pop open but I kind of like it. At first it was a this is weird moment, but then it quickly grew on me. The 2008 highlander limited that I had years ago and the 19 RX I had would very slowly auto open when u pressed the button on the handle and if you tried to just pry it open it felt like you were grinding the motor. The 2010 RX has no resistance so I can quickly and easily pop it open manually and then press then the button to close it as I walk into the car. My 19 had a cool feature where u would dbl tap the auto close button and it would close and then lock itself so you wouldn’t have to wait for it to close and then hit the little button or the fob.
My Rx will open automatically when you press that rectangular button. I wish that sensor can be somehow moved below the bumper for a kick and open.
Old 05-20-21, 10:20 AM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by NickSP
My Rx will open automatically when you press that rectangular button. I wish that sensor can be somehow moved below the bumper for a kick and open.
Can you please elaborate on the square button ... If possible take a picture and post (if we are talking about the underside of the hatch release). It can be a feature that i am not aware of.

Salim
Old 05-20-21, 10:22 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Can you please elaborate on the square button ... If possible take a picture and post (if we are talking about the underside of the hatch release). It can be a feature that i am not aware of.

Salim
sure. I'll try and see if my phone can get that.
Old 05-20-21, 12:16 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Salim
Sorry dude I tried to take a picture but it's on the inside of the chrome grip so can't get my phone in there. But I'll describe it as best as I can. When you grip the chrome bar/handle, there is a small sensor/button which can lock or unlock. To the immediate left of that button is this bigger rectangular button that you can press. Pressing this opens my trunk automatically like opening it up from the remote. Mine is a 2010 Rx 450h for reference.
Old 05-20-21, 02:07 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

This is what you feel when you put your hand in the handle to open the tailgate. The rectangular push button unlocks the tailgate. The small ovalish button locks all of the doors/tailgate. From what I’ve read 2010-2012 RX’s can only be opened manually after squeezing the button to unlock it. Maybe the 2013 and on updated versions can be programmed for the squeeze button to trigger the door opening motor.
Old 05-20-21, 02:20 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ellocovg

This is what you feel when you put your hand in the handle to open the tailgate. The rectangular push button unlocks the tailgate. The small ovalish button locks all of the doors/tailgate. From what I’ve read 2010-2012 RX’s can only be opened manually after squeezing the button to unlock it. Maybe the 2013 and on updated versions can be programmed for the squeeze button to trigger the door opening motor.
yeah your picture perfectly defines it. However I have a 2010 RX and maybe it's programmed because pressing it lifts the trunk automatically via the motor.

Quick Reply: Tailgate stopped opening automatically