RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 vs. ES350 & Avalon for Daily Commute?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-21, 04:37 AM
emmerson
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX350 vs. ES350 & Avalon for Daily Commute?

Hey folks:

I drive about an hour each way to work and live near Toronto, so winter driving is definitely a factor. I'm down to these 3 models when it comes to my next vehicle purchase (whatever I choose will be roughly 10-12 years old, well-maintained and lower mileage). I was wondering anyone's thoughts on advantages/disadvantages between these 3 as a daily commuter vehicle with putting on roughly 30,000 miles a year.

Reliability, safety and comfort are my top priorities. The RX350 is one option since safety and winter driving are big for me (as well as potentially hitting a deer at night, which hopefully will never happen, touch wood), but I absolutely love the Avalon and ES350, so any thoughts/experiences are appreciated. I'm looking to keep the budget down as much as I can, but I'll pay a few thousand more for a vehicle that will last several years longer, obviously.

Thank you!

- Jeff
The following users liked this post:
Kene1407 (11-16-22)
Old 06-23-21, 05:14 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

With a drive of one hour each way you may want to consider the hybrid versions of these vehicles so as to lower your fuel expenses.

All 3 share the same basic drivetrain, meaning they have the same 3.5 V6 engine and 6 speed automatic transmission, with the RX being available in all-wheel drive. All are equally reliable and safe. It depends if you have to have AWD or want to sit up higher.

How well do they plow the roads up there and have you had issues before in the winter driving a front wheel drive vehicle such that you must have AWD? The RX350 or hybrid AWD system runs in FWD 90% of the time and only engages the rear wheels when it senses slip or traction loss. I am sure others will comment on their snow experiences with the AWD system

The Avalon and ES350 have been compared in many youtube reviews and by Consumer Reports with most concluding they are both great but different. That the Toyota infotainment system was easier to navigate and overall better than the Lexus version. However, that is somewhat a personal preference and you need to look at both if going the sedan route. An equally equipped Avalon will be less expensive than an ES350 or ES300h (or whatever it is called for the hybrid) and would be my choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clutchless:
emmerson (06-23-21), Kene1407 (11-16-22)
Old 06-23-21, 05:19 AM
emmerson
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
With a drive of one hour each way you may want to consider the hybrid versions of these vehicles so as to lower your fuel expenses.

All 3 share the same basic drivetrain, meaning they have the same 3.5 V6 engine and 6 speed automatic transmission, with the RX being available in all-wheel drive. All are equally reliable and safe. It depends if you have to have AWD or want to sit up higher.

How well do they plow the roads up there and have you had issues before in the winter driving a front wheel drive vehicle such that you must have AWD? The RX350 or hybrid AWD system runs in FWD 90% of the time and only engages the rear wheels when it senses slip or traction loss. I am sure others will comment on their snow experiences with the AWD system

The Avalon and ES350 have been compared in many youtube reviews and by Consumer Reports with most concluding they are both great but different. That the Toyota infotainment system was easier to navigate and overall better than the Lexus version. However, that is somewhat a personal preference and you need to look at both if going the sedan route. An equally equipped Avalon will be less expensive than an ES350 or ES300h (or whatever it is called for the hybrid) and would be my choice.
Thank you for your response! Very appreciated. As far as AWD, no - I definitely don't need it (it would just be a bonus). I figure that the Avalon may end up being my choice.
Kene1407 (11-16-22)
Old 06-23-21, 09:35 AM
NyceLexToy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emmerson
Hey folks:

I drive about an hour each way to work and live near Toronto, so winter driving is definitely a factor. I'm down to these 3 models when it comes to my next vehicle purchase (whatever I choose will be roughly 10-12 years old, well-maintained and lower mileage). I was wondering anyone's thoughts on advantages/disadvantages between these 3 as a daily commuter vehicle with putting on roughly 30,000 miles a year.

Reliability, safety and comfort are my top priorities. The RX350 is one option since safety and winter driving are big for me (as well as potentially hitting a deer at night, which hopefully will never happen, touch wood), but I absolutely love the Avalon and ES350, so any thoughts/experiences are appreciated. I'm looking to keep the budget down as much as I can, but I'll pay a few thousand more for a vehicle that will last several years longer, obviously.

Thank you!

- Jeff
I can tell you about two of the three being RX350 F Sport & ES350 UL (both 2013). First off you will spend about $10 more at the pump with the RX, an possibility of having one less a day of driving. Both are pretty comfortable on road trips, ES being more nimble. RX is a pretty good winter vehicle even without snow mode (puts down the revs when activated) my awd only works up to 20km then disconnects back to fwd for fuel savings. Best thing you can use regular in both(I still use premium for road trips, and every now and then). I had a 99 Avalon for about a month was quite an impressive drive, very smooth. I sold it to a friend, I was a BMW and rwd fan(still love my performance vehicles and awd).
Kene1407 (11-16-22)
Old 06-24-21, 07:13 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

The Avalon is going to be cost you the least, being like for like condition & similar mileage. If you really don't need a suv or the hauling capacity, then it comes down to the two sedans...You possibly might be able to find a lower mileage Avalon for the price of either a older ES or a higher mileage ES.....Two great choices seems like you need to get out a look at a few of them to see what your looking for & what you like. btw, open up your search radius as well........
The following 2 users liked this post by Felix:
Kene1407 (11-16-22), salimshah (06-25-21)