RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

B1441 Passenger Air Mix Servo Broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 02:37 PM
gckcmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question B1441 Passenger Air Mix Servo Broken

Hi All,

I have scoured the interwebs, this site, and youtube looking for vids, diagrams, and DIY instructions on how to remove the passenger side servos for the AC unit. I have a lot of it disassembled (from IS, or other related but not quite the same videos), however the pair of servos, their enclosure are unable to slide out between the center console mount where their actuators connect to the door arms, and the other side being the fan blower case. I see lots of descriptions in comments that people got them out, it was a PITA, but nobody says how.

So a few questions:
1. is anyone know of a how-to that talks/shows this? I have 2011 RX350
2. is the blower case required to be removed in order to get at the servos?
3. any other advice?

thanks!
Old 09-15-22, 03:37 PM
phantum29
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over a year old... but have you ever found the answer to this? I had the whole center console out, glove box, and the blower motor assembly was entirely in the way of accessing the servo on the passenger side. Using (ebay) techstream my issue is 100% passenger side, and worse yet, my fiddling got it stuck on full hot, so now the center console gets super hot and makes my cold drinks hot. Never felt the (HVAC) heat so hot before. I refuse to pay the $3000 the dealer wants and am just in denial that the entire dash needs to be removed, ac system evacuated, and "11 hours" by the book of labor. Even the toyota/lexus service manuals (techinfo) were not of much help for those particular servos.
The following users liked this post:
ledz84 (10-11-22)
Old 10-21-22, 12:06 PM
vyslouzil
2nd gear

Originally Posted by phantum29
Over a year old... but have you ever found the answer to this? I had the whole center console out, glove box, and the blower motor assembly was entirely in the way of accessing the servo on the passenger side. Using (ebay) techstream my issue is 100% passenger side, and worse yet, my fiddling got it stuck on full hot, so now the center console gets super hot and makes my cold drinks hot. Never felt the (HVAC) heat so hot before. I refuse to pay the $3000 the dealer wants and am just in denial that the entire dash needs to be removed, ac system evacuated, and "11 hours" by the book of labor. Even the toyota/lexus service manuals (techinfo) were not of much help for those particular servos.
Can't 100% help you here, but I know on the Lexus GS350 the servo work is a complete nightmare. In that forum some of the images indicated those servos are attached to the actual AC radiator assembly next to the blower... based on what you wrote, you are well aware of this.

Since you have techstream working, try doing the servo initialization. I had done this 4 times without any luck, but on the 5th try with the car running (and AC/fan off), the initialization worked and I got cold air out of the P vents. No idea how long this will last but its worth a try.

Here is the insanity of errors I saw:

Old 10-28-22, 04:14 PM
User874
9th Gear

Originally Posted by vyslouzil
Can't 100% help you here, but I know on the Lexus GS350 the servo work is a complete nightmare. In that forum some of the images indicated those servos are attached to the actual AC radiator assembly next to the blower... based on what you wrote, you are well aware of this.

Since you have techstream working, try doing the servo initialization. I had done this 4 times without any luck, but on the 5th try with the car running (and AC/fan off), the initialization worked and I got cold air out of the P vents. No idea how long this will last but its worth a try.

Here is the insanity of errors I saw:

Are you sure its possible doing servo initialization on the rx? I was told it can't be on that model by Lexus.
Old 10-28-22, 06:02 PM
vyslouzil
2nd gear

Originally Posted by User874
Are you sure its possible doing servo initialization on the rx? I was told it can't be on that model by Lexus.
Unfortunately no I don't..I was speaking from experience on the GS. Sorry to mislead brother. Hunt around Techstream, I think I saw in under Air Conditioning and then Utility.

Ya know whats insane? I had a 1999 GS300 with 200k, and the servos on that thing failed exactly the same way (mixer servo). Shortly after, the door lock servos went. 20 years later and these cars are still having servo failures? Toyota must have taken a page out of BMWs "hard to fix parts obsolescence" book.
Old 10-29-22, 07:59 AM
User874
9th Gear

Originally Posted by vyslouzil
Unfortunately no I don't..I was speaking from experience on the GS. Sorry to mislead brother. Hunt around Techstream, I think I saw in under Air Conditioning and then Utility.

Ya know whats insane? I had a 1999 GS300 with 200k, and the servos on that thing failed exactly the same way (mixer servo). Shortly after, the door lock servos went. 20 years later and these cars are still having servo failures? Toyota must have taken a page out of BMWs "hard to fix parts obsolescence" book.
Wow. I know Lexus put a bulletin out for fixing the servo motors last year on almost all models but the RX.