RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Transmission oil leak help -2013 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-21, 11:39 AM
LexusRover
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission oil leak help -2013 RX350

Hello All,
I have read through some of the posts and unfortunately I am still worried and do not have a good answer - hoping someone can give some hope before I take the car in tomorrow...

The Issue-
-Driving and was almost home and felt a gear slip
-No warning light or issue noticed
-Got home and parked in my garage (worried!)
-looked under the car and see small drops of oil (reddish colour) definitely not engine oil
-Right front wheel well with small traces of oil
-crawled under the car and looked undercarriage - notice oil around the transmission pan and below the tranxaxle ! Confirmed it is transmission oil
-After the car parked and cooled; turned on looking for any warning lights none come on; turned the car off.
-I know it is not Power steering fluid - this thing has the electronic PS
-Engine oil level normal
-Small puddle of oil on the flow

What do I do-
-
Have been on the Lexus forum for a loong time
-Ruled out the Oil cooler lines - It is 2013 so it does NOT have the plastic lines; verified my self by taken the front undercover and I see the metal cooler lines with no trace of oil; so this is not the root cause

I will get the car towed to my mechanic tomorrow morning (will not drive this thing and hope I have not already caused damage).

Would anyone have an Idea what could be the source of this Transmission oil leak? Please help calm my fears.

Thus far, the car has been services at the dealer - untill the last service which was an oil change - the car has 110,000KM.
I had opted out of the 100K service at the dealer and intended to take to a trusted mechanic going forward - and now this!
It is 2013 and so I obviously do not have warranty.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you.

What do I tell my mechanic so I 'appear' knowledgeable about the problem!

Old 08-08-21, 12:33 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

Stay away from the dealership. Significantly overpriced and not experienced with transmission repair.

If you are lucky it may be nothing more than a transmission pan gasket leak. Thoroughly cleaning up the leaked ATF and then looking for the source of the leak is your best course of action. An indie shop or a transmission repair shop are your best bets.

Is your transmission drain plug tight (6mm Allen wrench)? Is your transmission fill plug tight (24mm socket wrench)? Keep in mind that leaked ATF can blow all over the place when the vehicle is flying down the highway.

Old 08-08-21, 08:56 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

If you have a trusted mechanic take it it to him/her. Do not diagnose the problem and let the mechanic diagnose as you will be paying for it. Just describe the symptoms and observations.

Sensed the gear slip.
Drops on the ground [if it is a puddle say so] and the color.

From what you describe it seems you have leaking gasket or a seal. If it has been leaking for a while, you may have low fluid level. Rate of loss of a drop per day, would take months for it to make a difference.

Salim

Old 08-09-21, 08:53 AM
LexusRover
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Thank you so very much both of you.
I have the vehicle towed to the Mechanic shop. (not the Dealearship)

Will update on the the outcome. Thank you.
It has not been leaking for while; just saw this on the weekend - so I hope this statement holds for me!

"...If it has been leaking for a while, you may have low fluid level. Rate of loss of a drop per day, would take months for it to make a difference"