RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

SOS light was always green, now red

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-21, 09:21 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default SOS light was always green, now red

My SOS light was always green, but in the last week it is now red. I still have a subscription on my 14 RX so I called via the SOS button and it is still working, and verified I'm good until Feb '22. Before I contact the dealer was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Everything else seems to be working OK and I can't see paying to get this fixed since the service is going to be discontinued next year anyway.
Old 10-14-21, 07:02 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

What is an "SOS light"? What subscription service does it pertain to?
Old 10-14-21, 09:56 AM
jer
Instructor

It is above the rear view mirror. If you have the emergency services subscription, it is normally lit green. Basically the same as GM's OnStar.
Old 10-14-21, 11:14 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Not a Lexus Safety Connect problem...
I had an '08 Impala with OnStar. Let it lapse. The OnStar module failed
and created a battery draining connection. Couldn't just pull a fuse or
anything that simple. Had to pay $300+ for an out of warrantee failure
Of a component I did not need to or want to use!
Old 10-14-21, 12:40 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

That is why GM is known as Generous Motors.
Old 10-14-21, 12:52 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Don't get me started on GM. Swore I would never own another GM vehicle back in 1997 and have kept my word thus far. GM Customer Service does not lift a finger to help any customer with even the most minor issue once the warranty expires by even just one day.
Old 10-14-21, 01:35 PM
jer
Instructor

I think I'll just not worry about it until if/when I go back to the dealership since I can still use it to call Lexus. Don't want to pay a chunk of change to get the red light to go out on something that won't be working/available come next year anyway.
Old 10-16-21, 09:21 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
I think I'll just not worry about it until if/when I go back to the dealership since I can still use it to call Lexus. Don't want to pay a chunk of change to get the red light to go out on something that won't be working/available come next year anyway.
I suspect that it is more than just a malfunction of the indicator light. The indicator light turning green confirms that communication has been established with the cellular service that Safety Connect uses. If the button remains red when the ignition is on, then connectivity may not have been established. A red indicator light could indicate that the crash notification and stolen vehicle services may not be functional.

Feb 22? I thought Safety Connect in our vehicles was supposed to function until November 1, 2022..
Old 10-16-21, 09:52 AM
jer
Instructor

I'm up for renewal in February. Stopped by the dealership and they actually talked me out of getting it fixed. It's the backup battery for the service which is about $300 plus labor, and if I renewed again it would only take me to Oct '22.
Old 01-27-22, 03:10 PM
al7ezza
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I currently have the exact same situation and my 2014 RX is still in the dealership. I have Lexus extended warranty but the red light is still on after replacing the Safety Connect transmission module (Don't know why, because I can still make calls and they are able to locate my car)

They suspect it is the MayDay battery failure and they don't have in stock (Nor the Extended Warranty covers it), it will be like $310 for the battery + $440 on the parts.

Like you said, I don't want to spend so much money knowing the service will be shut down by November.

Does anyone know if the red light will still be on if the service is disabled?

Old 01-27-22, 11:08 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

If the red led is a warning showing that the backup alarm has failed it will stay on regardless of the service working or not. I have no idea if or where this battery would be, but I would bet it can be replaced with a non Lexus battery much much cheaper. Me personally even though I love projects like this will not waste my time and will embrace the red ring of shame.

Originally Posted by al7ezza
I currently have the exact same situation and my 2014 RX is still in the dealership. I have Lexus extended warranty but the red light is still on after replacing the Safety Connect transmission module (Don't know why, because I can still make calls and they are able to locate my car)

They suspect it is the MayDay battery failure and they don't have in stock (Nor the Extended Warranty covers it), it will be like $310 for the battery + $440 on the parts.

Like you said, I don't want to spend so much money knowing the service will be shut down by November.

Does anyone know if the red light will still be on if the service is disabled?
Old 01-28-22, 02:08 PM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same issue. 2014 Rx 350- The green light comes on momentarily then the little red light on the right comes on and the green goes off. I called Lexus Enform and they say go to the dealer. I am going to drop the service because we now travel in a new Ford F150 Hybrid and just use the RX around town. I would like the red light to go off!!
Old 02-03-22, 01:18 PM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well here are two things I learned today. !-I had a dead stereo on my 2014 RX 350. It took $14o for the dealer to confirm this. I was lucky to find a salvage amp to replace the faulty one. 2- The Little red light to the right of the SOS button came on about 4 weeks ago for no known reason. Turns out this is due to the fact that the MAYDAY battery module is dead. Sound simple until you find out that the module is located in the chassis under the center console. New part $300 and labor over $400. The entire console has to come out to get to the module. Remember that this thing is no longer useful after 3G cell service is turned off this year. The light will not go out when the service stops. The service writer told me that he had seen two of the came issues in the past two weeks. I plan to paint it black to hide the annoying light. BTW the dealer wanted $1700 for a now amp. They won't see me again! I can get the same oil change done at any Toyota dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Clutchless (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 05:21 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Do the oil & filter changes yourself. Very easy and relatively inexpensive on these 3rd generation RXs.
Old 02-17-22, 11:55 AM
MatthewG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOS Light Turned Red Chicago Area

Two days ago the SOS light turned solid red on our 2015 RX350.

I have read that this could be due to obsolescence and shutdown of 3G cell service.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Another old thread about the red light also said something about failure of the systems backup button battery. Does anyone know anything about this backup battery and how to replace it?
Thanks

Quick Reply: SOS light was always green, now red