RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wobbly ride???common issue or is it mine??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-21, 07:47 PM
Dtl9824
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobbly ride???common issue or is it mine??????

I just purchased my 2015 rx 350 and noticed on uneven roads this puppy is wondering from side to side. It's certified 34,000 miles preowned from the Lexus dealer. It's great on smooth roads, but the slightest uneven road better get the sea sickness pills ready. Feels like it goes rolling from side to side.

Is this a common thing, due to short wheel base? I'm coming from my chevy hd2500 long wheel base great on bad roads, but was very solid on bumps. If this is how they are designed I won't be keeping it long and get the GX instead. Thx in advance for any ideas or opinions.
Old 11-06-21, 09:20 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

There can be inflation, tire quality and tread and even toe-in issues. It can be subjective too. I would suggest go test drive couple of other Rxs and then form an opinion.

Salim
Old 11-08-21, 04:58 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

It could be any of the things listed above, you need an independent shop to evaluate it.

Leaking rear shocks used to be a big problem although Lexus claimed to have improved them by 2013. If you look under the rear of the car at the black vertical sticks by each rear wheel, if the bottom halves are wet or damp then you have leaking shocks. The same criteria applies to the front struts, although they are usually very durable.
Old 11-08-21, 05:39 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Yep, check those rear shocks. Even though Lexus supposedly resolved their leaking rear shock problem before the 2015 model year, I take a good look at them on my wife's 2015 RX350 every month. Her vehicle is approaching 70,000 miles now and so far so good.
Old 11-08-21, 06:40 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

You're talking completely different suspension design. I loved my GMC, front and rear solid axles and all, but our Rx is way more "comfy" overall, being 10 years newer than our gmc though probably helped. Wheelbase is indeed a factor, something I learned when towing (longer wheel base of tow vehicle = more stability). To pile on what was said already, our experience with the 3rd gen RX platform is that rear shocks, tire pressure, tire quality are the primary factors that influence "wobble". We had a set of tires with softer sidewall, definitely gave a nice comfier ride according to the spouse, but to me it wobbled more over bumps. I prefer a stiffer sidewall and I bump the pressures up to 35 PSI instead of the recommended 32 for a more controlled ride. Also when we changed the rear shocks, that made a huge difference in stability. As others have said, other suspension components may be a play for you, for us the sway bars, control arms etc are all okay. GX ride is a little closer to the ride you're used to, but you have to decide if you like the size over the RX and the "odd to me" swing out rear hatch. Good luck
Old 11-08-21, 04:51 PM
Dtl9824
Driver School Candidate

Thx all, my office mate said the same check the shocks. I'm used to american suvs and Chevy Silverado. Being this was a very popular SUV i thought at 34k shocks should be still be in great condition. I'll have to get that looked at and maybe play with the air pressure as well. It has newly added Michelin latitude tires as well. So far great seats, terrific quality of materials but the WORST ride on non highway I've ever experienced. I'll try to change a few things but if it continues carmax time will be in the future,
Old 11-09-21, 04:13 AM
Clutchless

Have you checked the air pressure in your new tires? I bet the tire shop inflated them all to over 40 pounds. I have seen that more than a few times.
Although I will still put my money on leaking rear shocks.
Old 11-10-21, 06:44 PM
Dtl9824
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Well I took it to Lexus today to see what on earth is going on. Was it me totally not used to it, or is it busted up springs. Turns out the 2 rear shocks were leaking, replaced under extended warranty. I put 45 is of air in the tires to firm those things up. So both helped but still feels pretty jittery over uneven surfaces more then my body on frame SUV, and unibody nissan pathfinder. Love the seats, smoothness of the power, and on perfect roads its wonderful. But my opinion its a swing and a miss as far as repeat ownership counts. Once this silly chip shortage is behind us this lil red wagon will be gone. Thanks for the ideas, I've wanted one of these RX suvs since in was inn my early 20s. Now I can scratch that off and look twoards GX next year, fully thunk this us the best brand ever, but after extensive drivng for a month, I'll take longer test drive on next suv.
Old 11-11-21, 03:55 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Indeed, these RX models are not for everyone. My wife loves her 2015 RX350 but I much prefer my 2013 Outback 3.6R. It is faster, quicker, much more capable, and much more fun to drive. To each his/her own....
Old 11-11-21, 06:28 AM
afpj
Instructor

45 psi for tires is a bit much IMHO. Might want to back it down to 35 psi and see, maybe 32 psi even ,
as cheap easy experiment.
The following 2 users liked this post by afpj:
Clutchless (11-11-21), Dtl9824 (11-12-21)
Old 11-11-21, 04:54 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtl9824
Well I took it to Lexus today to see what on earth is going on. Was it me totally not used to it, or is it busted up springs. Turns out the 2 rear shocks were leaking, replaced under extended warranty. I put 45 is of air in the tires to firm those things up. So both helped but still feels pretty jittery over uneven surfaces more then my body on frame SUV, and unibody nissan pathfinder. Love the seats, smoothness of the power, and on perfect roads its wonderful. But my opinion its a swing and a miss as far as repeat ownership counts. Once this silly chip shortage is behind us this lil red wagon will be gone. Thanks for the ideas, I've wanted one of these RX suvs since in was inn my early 20s. Now I can scratch that off and look twoards GX next year, fully thunk this us the best brand ever, but after extensive drivng for a month, I'll take longer test drive on next suv.
Recommended pressure is on the decal in the driver door jamb. This should be cold pressure. [Check in the morning. I inflate 5lbs over the decal the night before and then let out the air in the morning]. You can always experiment but do not go more than +/- 10%. Note the max pressure on the tire is maximum safe (hot) pressure before permanent damage to the belts or even explosion of the tire itself.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Dtl9824 (11-12-21)
Old 11-12-21, 05:34 PM
Dtl9824
Driver School Candidate

Your correct 45 is too much. It was more of my aggrivation taking over . It did drive better on side roads still not as I expected but beyond a major improvement over busted shocks that I've been experiencing the last month.
Old 11-13-21, 06:30 AM
Clutchless

It would involve an out of pocket investment but if you installed the Bilstein B4 rear shocks you may be surprised at the improved ride and handling. Or install the B6 which are stiffer. These are officially listed for the 2014-2019 Highlander but many including me have installed them on the RX. You can have any local gas station do the install if you buy them online. There are only 2 bolts and it takes less than an hour.
See this thread for more information

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-shocks-6.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-13-21 at 06:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dtl9824 (11-13-21)
Old 11-13-21, 07:09 AM
RX in NC
Racer

^^ I concur. When my wife's 2015 RX350's rear shocks begin to fail, I will install a pair of the Bilstein B6 rear shocks. Her odometer will turn 70,000 miles in the next few days and thus far, her factory rear shocks continue to function normally.
Old 11-13-21, 09:01 AM
afpj
Instructor

What tires you runnin, and what size?

Quick Reply: Wobbly ride???common issue or is it mine??????