RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Need help with cd player

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-21 | 05:24 AM
termigator
Rookie

Default Need help with cd player

The cd changer in my 2010 RX has stopped working. It had just finished playing CD #2 and started reading CD #3 when it wouldn't play it and just reads "check cd". I tried playing CD #4, but it did the same thing. Since I was still able to eject cd's, I ejected all 6 and put in the cd that was in CD #2 (which it had just played), but that also gave a "check cd" code. Does anyone know what can be done? I'd be happy to replace the changer if need be, but a quick check on Ebay yielded only a few, expensive results.
Old 12-03-21 | 08:03 AM
RX in NC
Racer

You may need to clean the laser optical lens with an alcohol-soaked Q-Tip. That is a much easier task on a home audio CD unit because removing the cabinet top (usually no more than 4 small sheet metal screws hold the top in place) exposes the complete laser assembly. Doing that job in a vehicle CD unit requires removal of the unit from the dash.
Old 12-03-21 | 02:28 PM
salimshah

Home burnt cds are usually thicker and many (specially older) players can not handle them. Also if there is any paper label (instead of silk screens image) it makes the matter worse. As suggested, I would try the cleaning first, but usually the symptom is indicating end of life. Before you give up there are shops who can repair. What you but from the used equipment may or may not have had a terrible life .. so it will be a gamble.

I would personally suggest to switch to other source, specially as they free you from carrying cds.

Lexus was first to introduce CD players in the vehicles and and it seems they are going to be the last to give them up. I used to use them in my first gen RX back in '99 but not in my third gen.

Salim
Old 12-03-21 | 03:21 PM
termigator
Rookie

The cd's I used were original recordings, not burned cd's. Personally, I wouldn't care. I use the bluetooth to connect to my tunes on my phone. The problem is that the car will also be used by my mother, who only uses cd's. As such, I will have to get it fixed.
Old 12-03-21 | 05:17 PM
Clutchless

You don't need the CD player.
Use windows music to rip all the CDs to MP3 then load them onto a flash drive. It automatically identifies and creates a file naming all the songs. It takes about 4 minutes to rip a CD to MP3.
Insert it in the USB mount inside the center armrest box and show her how to use it.
Note the Lexus system can only handle music files buried one layer deep. So each individual folder on the flash drive should have only that one CDs music with the title. You may have to renumber the songs to play them in the correct order.
The bonus is you can load a lot more than 6 CDs on a flash drive.
I have been listening to music that way for years in my RX.