RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Center dash speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 11:42 AM
Knot
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Center dash speaker upgrade

I'm looking to improve the 12 speaker sound system in my 2015 RX 350. My first project is the single dash center speaker.
If you have done this upgrade; What brand did you use? What EQ settings did you end up with? Did you notice a vast improvement in sound quality?

Jan 29 2023 Post Update: I’ve made what I feel is a worthwhile improvement to the center dash speaker. All I did was remove the factory speaker & placed open cell foam in the cavity below the speaker. Then just reinstalled the speaker. Seems to reflect more sound into the interior. This worked for me. At least until I can find a single 3.5” coaxial for sale.

Last edited by Knot; 01-29-24 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-22-22, 12:36 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

I am glad you asking for some one who has done it. I just shudder at the thought of touching/messing with dash. I consider it a minefield for rattle sources.

Salim
Old 01-22-22, 02:20 PM
Knot
10th Gear

Default Center speaker up grade

Originally Posted by salimshah
I am glad you asking for some one who has done it. I just shudder at the thought of touching/messing with dash. I consider it a minefield for rattle sources.

Salim
I think there a fair amount of room bellow and around the new speaker. If you put the leads back in place & securely mount the speaker, I can’t see it to be any hassle.
Rick
Old 01-23-22, 10:16 PM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought about replacing my 2013 rx dash center speaker which only needs one speaker but normally the speakers are sold as pair. If we wanted to upgrade then the speaker should be better than the original one and not too cheap. We will waste 1 speaker unless someone can share the left one. BTW, I have replaced my wife's rav4 dash speakers and tested 2 3.5" speakers. If I gonna select, I would select something like Kicker 47KSC3504 or better one.
Old 01-24-22, 06:13 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

This link shows the many center dash speakers that Crutchfield found will fit in the RX. The above-listed Kicker speakers are among them.
​​​​​​https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/Al...tml?tp=105&l=2
Old 01-24-22, 06:36 AM
Knot
10th Gear

Default RX Speaker Upgrade

Thanks for the advice. I know it sucks there is just one speaker. With so many RX’s & Ravas out there it shouldn’t too hard to sell the extra speaker. Also we have a local custom car audio shop & maybe he has a single unit from a previous job.
I’ve seen all the videos & I wish that someone would do before & after so you hear the difference. The only ones are of the two A pillar setups.
Old 01-25-22, 03:22 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

A before and after vídeo wouldn’t really help you. The reason why online car reviewers rarely show off the audio system is because it doesn’t translate properly. It will all sound the same because you will only hear how good the speakers are on your phone/laptop. I suspect that tiny speaker alone wont make a world of difference. It’s not the work horse like a center channel speaker in a home theater setup, but a complimentary speaker. The biggest noticeable difference would be the two front speakers and or more power. Will it help yes but I’m you want instant gratification I would address those last or all at once.

Last edited by ellocovg; 01-25-22 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-25-22, 06:24 AM
Knot
10th Gear

Default Just want fill in the highs

I total agree. A 10,000 system heard though 200 dollar speakers doesn’t represent true sound.
In my case in order to hear the highs, from the door speakers, the volume has to be turned up. Then I hear from the passenger seat, “Turn it down! Why do you have it so loud?”
If that centre speaker were more efficient at producing the highs the volume could be lower. At least that’s my thought. If I could hear from someone of their first hand knowledge as to brand, size & EQ settings. That would be a great help!
Old 01-25-22, 05:41 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Carolina Cowboys on YouTube did a modestly priced audio upgrade on his 2010 RX that he swears by. When I was a teenager I spent many a paychecks on my car audio so my definition of sounds great really means that sounds good for stock. Luckily I quess I’m old now and mostly listen to podcasts so for now I’m actually really happy with the RX sound, especially if it’s from a CD. I think my 2010 sounds better than my 2019 sounded.
Old 01-26-22, 06:38 AM
Knot
10th Gear

Default 4 ohm speaker to 6 ohm line?

My RX is a 2015-Gen3, is the same as the 2010,with one minor audio difference. I don’t have two dash speakers @ 4 ohms. I have a single centre @ 6 ohms. When connecting a 4 ohm speaker to the amp’s 6 ohm lead, will it harm the amp?
l’ve read it has a tendency to put extra load if turned up too high. Will that load damage the power amp?
Old 01-26-22, 10:18 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot
My RX is a 2015-Gen3, is the same as the 2010,with one minor audio difference. I don’t have two dash speakers @ 4 ohms. I have a single centre @ 6 ohms. When connecting a 4 ohm speaker to the amp’s 6 ohm lead, will it harm the amp?
l’ve read it has a tendency to put extra load if turned up too high. Will that load damage the power amp?
This gets complicated real quick. I would suggest discuss it in the special interest forum.
Touching the tip of the iceberg here ... [I am staying away from the dynamic (frequency based) resistance the 4 ohm or 6ohm is just static resistance]. The amount of current changes, which causes the movement of the coil to be different. Based on efficiency and the environment, the sound level changes. Typical human hears louder and perceives it to be better. At high output level the Amp pushes more current for a lesser load can lead to overdrive/clipping the speaker and can heat up of the amp, all leading to failure.

In summary, a tuned system if perturbed will result in something different. It is up to the listener to decide if it got better or worse. Low to medium volume you will not experience any burn out [linearity is most likely lost].

Salim
Old 01-27-22, 06:54 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
This gets complicated real quick. I would suggest discuss it in the special interest forum.
Touching the tip of the iceberg here ... [I am staying away from the dynamic (frequency based) resistance the 4 ohm or 6ohm is just static resistance]. The amount of current changes, which causes the movement of the coil to be different. Based on efficiency and the environment, the sound level changes. Typical human hears louder and perceives it to be better. At high output level the Amp pushes more current for a lesser load can lead to overdrive/clipping the speaker and can heat up of the amp, all leading to failure.

In summary, a tuned system if perturbed will result in something different. It is up to the listener to decide if it got better or worse. Low to medium volume you will not experience any burn out [linearity is most likely lost].

Salim
No, the 4 ohm and 6 ohm is the nominal impedance, not resistance. Impedance is the "frequency based" resistance you mention.
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (01-27-22)
Old 01-28-22, 05:17 PM
Knot
10th Gear

Default 2015 RX 12 Speaker Upgrade

Thanks to all who have shed light on my center dash upgrade question. I can understand why they
removed the tweeders from the front doors & relocated them into the dash corners.
But what purpose DOES the center unit serve in the total system.
According to Carolina Cowboys on YouTube, the centre adds very little except when using the surround setting. It is his opinion, that it would be better to replace the front lower 6” x 9” ‘s with dual coil 6 1/2” dia units. This increased the mid’s & high’s & shifted the bass to the sub where it belongs. His modification was: JL Audio C1-650-X’s in the front doors. Seem to be the cost effective & simplest way to go.
Crutchfield recommends for the 2010 -2015 model years: 3 1/2” dual coil in the center dash & 6 1/2” dia components in all four doors. I’m not prepared to go to that extent.
Look forward to opinions of someone who has done an upgrade.
Old 01-29-22, 05:29 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

His mod is pretty cheap all things considered. I wouldn’t risk messing with the dash to swap out the speaker. You’ll find that most Lexus owners don’t mess with that kind of mods. I don’t have the Mark Levinson system but whatever the upgrade below it was and to me it sounds good which probably most owners agree with. I’d check out Toyotanation as I suspect allot more people have upgraded there Highlander’s speakers. It’s probably not identical but similar enough to be comparable.
Old 01-29-22, 07:05 PM
Knot
10th Gear

Default Sound system upgrade

Thanks for your concerns but both the centre dash & front door woofers are remove & replace.
Our local custom audio shop agrees changing the centre dash speaker wouldn’t do much.
The most effective change is the 6 x 9 door woofer to a 6 1/2 dia dual coil.

Quick Reply: Center dash speaker upgrade