RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

When it rains, it pours. Power Steering light

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22, 04:33 PM
needa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default When it rains, it pours. Power Steering light

On the interstate today I took a curve and the power steering light came on. Then a bit later when I was at a red light I tried to turn the wheel and noticed it was hard to turn. So I was like... no big deal. I will just do a few fluid swaps to clean out the 12 yr old 150k mile fluid. I got on here to find out what kind of fluid is best, only to find out that its electric. grr

So..... I am curios as to if there is anything I can do to improve what I got, or if I just need to buy a new unit.
Any advice is much appreciated. I have never had to deal with EPS, but am pretty good with a wrench.

edit: Also. What happens if it goes out completely before it gets fixed? I assume I will still be able to make turns... albeit much more difficult. And nothing else will be harmed...yes?

edit2: omg these things are $320 at RockAuto. If I am going to have to replace... any advice on what brand I should look for?

Thanks.

Last edited by needa; 01-28-22 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-28-22, 04:57 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

I have not yet encountered a power steering failure on my wife's 2015 RX350 (now approaching 73,000 miles) so I do not have any advice for you other than to please keep us posted on what you decide to do and whether or not that fixes your issue. I must admit that I strongly dislike the feel (or lack thereof) of the electric steering system. I drove it to the gas station this morning to fill up the tank and was reminded how much I dislike driving it. Sure glad it is her daily driver and not mine....
Old 01-28-22, 05:05 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

You should have it inspected by a mechanic in case there is some pending issue that could lead to loss of steering. You don't want to start replacing parts only to find they are the wrong parts.
It may be the electronic assist is going bad, or the rack itself. With the warning light on they will be able to pull the codes.
Toyota states that it means the power steering system has failed and you should tow it to be diagnosed and repaired!

I do not recall any prior threads about the power steering failure light. I did some searching here and did not find anything.
I searched a bit in the Toyota Nation forum for the 2008-13 Highlander which is a mechanical twin and found a few posts about needing to replace the rack and a few more about total loss of steering!

This article explains EPS in general https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/dia...ng-eps-issues/

Last edited by Clutchless; 01-28-22 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-28-22, 05:31 PM
needa
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX in NC
I have not yet encountered a power steering failure on my wife's 2015 RX350 (now approaching 73,000 miles) so I do not have any advice for you other than to please keep us posted on what you decide to do and whether or not that fixes your issue. I must admit that I strongly dislike the feel (or lack thereof) of the electric steering system. I drove it to the gas station this morning to fill up the tank and was reminded how much I dislike driving it. Sure glad it is her daily driver and not mine....
Will do.

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You should have it inspected by a mechanic in case there is some pending issue that could lead to loss of steering. You don't want to start replacing parts only to find they are the wrong parts.
It may be the electronic assist is going bad, or the rack itself. With the warning light on they will be able to pull the codes.
Toyota states that it means the power steering system has failed and you should tow it to be diagnosed and repaired!

I do not recall any prior threads about the power steering failure light. I did some searching here and did not find anything.
I searched a bit in the Toyota Nation forum for the 2008-13 Highlander which is a mechanical twin and found a few posts about needing to replace the rack and a few more about total loss of steering!

This article explains EPS in general https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/dia...ng-eps-issues/
Thx for the tip on Toyota Nation and for you taking the time to do that. I looked around here and on YT and wasn't able to find anything before I posted. I do hate the idea of going to a mechanic. I'm in my late forties and I don't think I have ever taken a non-warrantied car to a mechanic. But this time I might just have to as the parts are too expensive to not get it right the first time. I'll hunt around that site a bit and see what I can find. Thanks.
Old 01-29-22, 03:55 AM
RX in NC
Racer

If you indeed decide to take the vehicle in for diagnostics, find a well-respected, long-time-in-business independent shop with plenty of Toyota experience. That will be your best bet. Good luck and keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
needa (01-30-22)
Old 01-29-22, 03:19 PM
iftekhar25
Rookie

OK, so I had really stiff steering on my 2013 RX 350 late last year. I have an independent mechanic, and he did a power steering flush for me as this service record states.

I have noticed quite a marked improvement in steering for myself when I did this. It's so much easier to steer now. Like, seriously, I felt like I was getting an ab and shoulder workout steering my car before this, and it's a lot easier now.

Are we saying that the 3rd gen RX does not have any power steering fluid to flush? I'm freaking out, because I have no idea what my mechanic charged me for, and I have no idea how my steering has gotten so much lighter. My wife corroborates that the steering is easier, so something must have changed.
Old 01-29-22, 05:14 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

He probably changed the blinker fluid, thats usually the fix all.

Originally Posted by iftekhar25
OK, so I had really stiff steering on my 2013 RX 350 late last year. I have an independent mechanic, and he did a power steering flush for me as this service record states.

I have noticed quite a marked improvement in steering for myself when I did this. It's so much easier to steer now. Like, seriously, I felt like I was getting an ab and shoulder workout steering my car before this, and it's a lot easier now.

Are we saying that the 3rd gen RX does not have any power steering fluid to flush? I'm freaking out, because I have no idea what my mechanic charged me for, and I have no idea how my steering has gotten so much lighter. My wife corroborates that the steering is easier, so something must have changed.
Old 01-29-22, 11:22 PM
iftekhar25
Rookie

Yeah, OK, I think I know what happened. My tires got reinflated during the same visit, and I think that corrected my stiff steering.

2 things I learn today: Keeping my tires inflated affects ease-of-steering in my drive-by-wire car, and I need a new mechanic! Good learning!
Old 01-30-22, 08:36 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Perhaps he also changed the air in the tires.

Yep, you should find yourself another mechanic. That guy hosed you.

Seriously, get a decent digital tire gauge, check your cold pressures at least once a week, and adjust as necessary. Not only does that increase your safety, but your tires will last considerably longer.
Old 02-10-22, 04:44 AM
needa
Rookie

I thought I would come back and update. The power steering light hasn't come back on since that day. A few days after it happened the Navigation computer did a full restart. Not sure why that happened, but the light still hasn't come back and I'm not noticing it struggle when turning from a stop like I did that day. Though admittedly I am too scared to sit at a stand still and test the steering. Just in case it is wearing out.

I'm going to cross my fingers and chalk this issue up as a fluke. I still have to get underneath and replace the tranny fluid and check the mounts... so will look at the rack and pinion and see if I can unplug the steering assist motor in the column and plug it back in, etc. If anything happens then or later, I will be sure to update again. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-10-22, 06:46 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

How old is the battery? On a couple of our Toyotas, weird steering was the first sign that the battery was going out. Have the battery load tested. The fact that the navigation unit restarted also makes me suspect battery.
The following users liked this post:
needa (02-21-22)
Old 02-10-22, 08:05 AM
RX in NC
Racer

^^ I concur. These vehicles (which are essentially rolling computers) demand strong batteries at all times in order for all onboard systems to be able to function properly. Any battery more than 3 to 4 years old is always a suspect regardless of how good you think it still should be.
Old 02-21-22, 03:14 PM
needa
Rookie

I jumped off a backhoe a couple of years ago. A week later the battery died. Replaced it then. Will take a look at it. Good info.... Thanks.