RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Windshield has chip- options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22, 10:06 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield has chip- options?

I’m buying a used 2015 RX 350 and the windshield has a chip. Not enough of safety hazard to have dealer fix it but they gave me a few hundred off. Where should I get this fixed? At dealer? Safelite? Auto body shop? Repair or replace? Clueless here, thanks.
Old 03-02-22, 10:28 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

May not be news to you that the dealer does not perform the repair. They sub it out. They most likely will call mobile repair to come out to the vehicle either on their lot or at a point of your choosing.Advantage is that dealer is expected to stay in business , but the repair sub may not.

I would opt for the repair as I think the quality of glass and workmanship from factory is better and driving around the streets and roads [atleast here in Cetral Texas], the probability is fairly high to get another chip.

Get the repair done sooner that later.

Salim
Old 03-02-22, 05:46 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

So you are saying take it to the dealer even though they will be acting as the middleman to the place that I could go to on my own, because the quality of the repair will be better? I've honestly never dealt with this before so I just don't know.
Old 03-02-22, 06:25 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
So you are saying take it to the dealer even though they will be acting as the middleman to the place that I could go to on my own, because the quality of the repair will be better? I've honestly never dealt with this before so I just don't know.
No. If you were not aware, I was informing you that the fix is not done by the dealer/factory_trained_mechanic. You can find who ever you want to go to in your area, based on reviews/recommendation. Advantage through dealership can be snacks while you wait or even a loaner. If you were here in Austin, I would have recommended you a place.

Salim

Old 03-02-22, 07:12 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Thank you! I have a guy coming out tomorrow. Hopefully it will go seamlessly.
Old 03-02-22, 07:39 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Good luck!! It’s amazing what those guys can do.
Old 03-02-22, 07:53 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Yeah, I don't really understand the concept of how glass can be repaired but hopefully, it can.
Old 03-02-22, 10:45 PM
djovaniii
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 2 chips "repaired", just to prevent them to continue expanding.
One of which was fixed 1 hour after I got it, so it is pretty much impossible to see, after the fix.
The other one was during the winter, so water went inside the crack, so the fix is visible.
Overall those fix work only if you fix them right after the chip is made, and need the glass to be clean.
The whole process is simple, they just put some liquid glue under pressure in the crack.

Old 03-02-22, 11:30 PM
salimshah

Replacement: They remove ... usually by sawing through the rubber seal. Replacement requires new seal and is essentially glued in place. There are plenty of threads about aftermarket, OEM equivalent and OEM glass.

Repair: As long as the crack is small and many times it is a chip at the outside and crank between layer [glass is 2 layers with a transparent medium sandwiched in the middle]. The shop uses a spike or a drill to make an access hole through the outside glass. Then they use evacuation pump to create low pressure down the hole and then release the glue/epoxy through the gadget, which is sucked in due to vacuum.

Salim
Old 03-03-22, 04:11 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Check with your insurance company before your repair guy shows up. Most glass chip repairs are covered under your Comprehensive insurance. I have been covered by different insurance companies at various times during the past twenty years and I have never had to pay out-of-pocket for a mobile glass repair company (Safelite) coming to me to perform a glass chip repair.
Old 03-03-22, 04:22 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Check with your insurance company before your repair guy shows up. Most glass chip repairs are covered under your Comprehensive insurance. I have been covered by different insurance companies at various times during the past twenty years and I have never had to pay out-of-pocket for a mobile glass repair company (Safelite) coming to me to perform a glass chip repair.
I bought it with the chip. But out of curiosity, did you have good luck with Safelite?
Old 03-03-22, 05:41 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought it with the chip...
An honest guy, I like that.
Safellite replaced my windshield a few years back.
I had wind noise at speed, they had to come back and re-glue a corner.
No complaints since.
Old 03-03-22, 05:49 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Raoul
An honest guy, I like that.
Safellite replaced my windshield a few years back.
I had wind noise at speed, they had to come back and re-glue a corner.
No complaints since.
My last car was totaled and the insurance gave me $14,000 so I wouldn't want to push it anyway, lol.

I am hoping Safelite is okay for this chip. The only thing I'm worried about is the tint. Am I going to have a clear spot now?
Old 03-03-22, 06:53 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

As others have stated, the quality of the repair depends upon several factors including the skill of the repair tech, the age and condition of the chip, and how clean / moisture-free the chip can be made before it is filled with resin. I have chip repairs that are invisible, and I have chip repairs that can still be seen. None of them are spreading into cracks and I would much rather live with a chip repair that is visible than run the risk of replacing the factory windshield.
Old 03-03-22, 08:47 AM
salimshah

I bought it with the chip. But out of curiosity, did you have good luck with Safelite?
IMHO you are overthinking the situation. It all depends on the particular crack, the skill of the tech, the time since the damage. The company is just a corporation which stands between you and the tech and may be employing a tech with lower cost as opposed to an experienced independent.
If you believe in ratings, that can be a good guide for shops in your area.

Salim

Quick Reply: Windshield has chip- options?