RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lights on, pedal won't depress, takes few tries to start. Is this a battery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 05:27 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lights on, pedal won't depress, takes few tries to start. Is this a battery problem?

Well I have another problem with my new 2015 RX 350 that I just bought a few days ago. On two separate occasions, I have gotten into the car, pushed the brake pedal whilst pressing the Start button, and the brake pedal does not depress. It stays firm, and all the lights come on, but the car doesn't start. After a few repeated tries, it will eventually start. It happened tonight, took a few tries, then it started, I drove one mile to a friend's house, and then two hours later when I left, it started just fine.

Is this a battery problem? Or likely something else ? I looked at the Carfax report the dealership gave me and it does show "battery checked" a few times it doesn't say battery "replaced." I'm hoping that's all it is but with the pedal not depressing and the lights coming on, I am not sure?

Seems to me a dealer selling a used car with a seven-year-old battery would replace it before selling it to avoid bad reviews, but I don't know.
Old 03-05-22, 07:31 PM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

Just get the battery tested.

Salim
Old 03-06-22, 12:21 PM
Blkbear
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you depress the brake, does the READY light come on BEFORE you press the START button? I had this problem when I first got my 2011 RX450h (10 year old battery at the time). When I would press both at the same time, it would not start, and at first I was not waiting for the ready light, before pressing the start button. So the starting sequence should be... Brake, Ready Light then Start.

No reason a dealership would replace the battery if it starts everytime for them, whenever they move the car. Bought my car in April 2021 with its original battery, carfax and maintenance records showed that the battery had also been "checked", along with other items, none of which were replaced unless needed. Some batteries last longer than others, winter and summer may be the true test on whether a battery needs to be replaced. So get the battery and charging system checked out, just to rule out the battery needing to be replaced. Considering it's one of the easier components to diagnose and replace, that would be one of my first steps.

The dealership, was it a Toyota/Lexus dealer or a mixed vehicle used car lot? If the latter, they are less likely to put any money into a vehicle, past washing and a vacuuming. Most won't even replace burnt out exterior/interior lights unless a buyer notices before money changes hands. The truly shady dealers, will paint over undercarriage rust, do and engine detail (Vaseline) seared on the plastic and rubber hoses and tires to make it look good.

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
Well I have another problem with my new 2015 RX 350 that I just bought a few days ago. On two separate occasions, I have gotten into the car, pushed the brake pedal whilst pressing the Start button, and the brake pedal does not depress. It stays firm, and all the lights come on, but the car doesn't start. After a few repeated tries, it will eventually start. It happened tonight, took a few tries, then it started, I drove one mile to a friend's house, and then two hours later when I left, it started just fine.

Is this a battery problem? Or likely something else ? I looked at the Carfax report the dealership gave me and it does show "battery checked" a few times it doesn't say battery "replaced." I'm hoping that's all it is but with the pedal not depressing and the lights coming on, I am not sure?

Seems to me a dealer selling a used car with a seven-year-old battery would replace it before selling it to avoid bad reviews, but I don't know.
Old 03-06-22, 12:28 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Blkbear
When you depress the brake, does the READY light come on BEFORE you press the START button? I had this problem when I first got my 2011 RX450h (10 year old battery at the time). When I would press both at the same time, it would not start, and at first I was not waiting for the ready light, before pressing the start button. So the starting sequence should be... Brake, Ready Light then Start.

No reason a dealership would replace the battery if it starts everytime for them, whenever they move the car. Bought my car in April 2021 with its original battery, carfax and maintenance records showed that the battery had also been "checked", along with other items, none of which were replaced unless needed. Some batteries last longer than others, winter and summer may be the true test on whether a battery needs to be replaced. So get the battery and charging system checked out, just to rule out the battery needing to be replaced. Considering it's one of the easier components to diagnose and replace, that would be one of my first steps.

The dealership, was it a Toyota/Lexus dealer or a mixed vehicle used car lot? If the latter, they are less likely to put any money into a vehicle, past washing and a vacuuming. Most won't even replace burnt out exterior/interior lights unless a buyer notices before money changes hands. The truly shady dealers, will paint over undercarriage rust, do and engine detail (Vaseline) seared on the plastic and rubber hoses and tires to make it look good.
Thanks, I will check to see if the ready light comes on. I took the car to Auto Zone today for them to check the battery. I didn't know they will check your battery for free. I'm quite sure if I took it to my Lexus dealer they would charge me just for checking.

I stood over his shoulder and watched and it came back "Good Battery." There was a sticker on the battery that said 1/22, presumably when the dealer seller last checked it. Who, by the way was a Lexus dealer. I would go back to the same place but it's 3 hours away.

Anyway hopefully this sequence thing is the issue and I will monitor the situation. My research said possible brake light switch or master cylinder problem but the Autozone guy said he thinks the computer needs to be reset.
Old 03-06-22, 04:53 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Now you have eliminated the battery as an issue.
I know this is obvious, but make sure you are consistently pressing the brake pedal hard enough to engage the bypass start switch or whatever they call it that requires the brake to be pressed to start it. I have this issue in my Sienna sometimes and just think it is an operator error due to my driving 4 different vehicles and they are all a little different.
Old 03-06-22, 05:13 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Now you have eliminated the battery as an issue.
I know this is obvious, but make sure you are consistently pressing the brake pedal hard enough to engage the bypass start switch or whatever they call it that requires the brake to be pressed to start it. I have this issue in my Sienna sometimes and just think it is an operator error due to my driving 4 different vehicles and they are all a little different.
Yes, I do believe it is possible it is operator error. My beloved 2010 RX 350 was destroyed in October and since then I have been driving an array of different cars so maybe I have just been doing it wrong. Also maybe I was getting the sequence wrong.