RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Advice before i decide to trade or keep RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 06:14 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice before i decide to trade or keep RX

I have a 2015 RX350 which i bought 6 years ago with 11k miles..it was a service loaner for my Lexus dealer. The car now has 83000 miles on it and all i have ever had todo on it is replace the tires and battery and the full synthetic oil changed every 5k with periodic air filter changes. I recently replaced the hood support struts myself..thank you You Tube...and the cabin filter.
I always have the brake pads checked when i get the oil changed and am always told they are still ok. That worries me because of the mileage but much of it has been interstate driving so i dont question it, especially since the shop wants to sell brake jobs.
i have been thinking of trading for either a newer model NX300, RX350 or maybe even a Toyota Venza or RAV4. we have driven RX350s for more years than i can recall and rarely ever had any mechanical problem with them. Years ago i used to get the 60k and 90K services done, and have the timing belt and water pump replaced at or before 90k. I would appreciate advice on the following questions before i decide to trade or keep this car for another year or two.
1.Should i have the transmission fluid replaced? Any idea what that would cost?
2.Should i have the brake fluid replaced? Cost?
3.Should i have the spark plugs replaced? Cost...is there a preferred spark plug for this car ?
4.Should i have the radiator flushed?Cost...i have heard stories that radiators which dont leak can start leaking after a flush, but i have no idea if it is true or not.
5.Does the 2015 RX350 have a recommendation to replace the timing belt and water pump like the older models did? If so any idea of cost on this?
6.What is the best way to tie down if my brake pads need to be replaced? I'm just worried but have never had any brake problems.
7.Any other maintenance i should have done?
8. I burn regular gas in this car and it gets 20MPG in town driving...24-5MPG on the highway. My wife is the primary driver and as a result it has 3 or 4 small parking lot dings on it so im not too excited about paying $40K plus for a 2021 so she can get it dinged up like this one! That said i miss my Lexus warranty and would probably buy a certified car as i have done several times over the years.
I do have a couple of local indy repair/maint shops i trust in my area . There is also an operation called Lexustechs in Atlanta which only works on Lexuses but their pricing , while lower than dealers, is still very high...I think. I'm no mechanical type so i cant do much beyond basics myself.
I realize this is a lengthy set of questions but any help i can get from this forum will be really appreciated so i can move ahead in one direction or the other. Thanks so much.
Old 03-28-22, 06:42 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

Originally Posted by BEARCATJER
I have a 2015 RX350 which i bought 6 years ago with 11k miles..it was a service loaner for my Lexus dealer. The car now has 83000 miles on it and all i have ever had todo on it is replace the tires and battery and the full synthetic oil changed every 5k with periodic air filter changes. I recently replaced the hood support struts myself..thank you You Tube...and the cabin filter.
I always have the brake pads checked when i get the oil changed and am always told they are still ok. That worries me because of the mileage but much of it has been interstate driving so i dont question it, especially since the shop wants to sell brake jobs.
i have been thinking of trading for either a newer model NX300, RX350 or maybe even a Toyota Venza or RAV4. we have driven RX350s for more years than i can recall and rarely ever had any mechanical problem with them. Years ago i used to get the 60k and 90K services done, and have the timing belt and water pump replaced at or before 90k. I would appreciate advice on the following questions before i decide to trade or keep this car for another year or two.
1.Should i have the transmission fluid replaced? Any idea what that would cost?
2.Should i have the brake fluid replaced? Cost?
3.Should i have the spark plugs replaced? Cost...is there a preferred spark plug for this car ?
4.Should i have the radiator flushed?Cost...i have heard stories that radiators which dont leak can start leaking after a flush, but i have no idea if it is true or not.
5.Does the 2015 RX350 have a recommendation to replace the timing belt and water pump like the older models did? If so any idea of cost on this?
6.What is the best way to tie down if my brake pads need to be replaced? I'm just worried but have never had any brake problems.
7.Any other maintenance i should have done?
8. I burn regular gas in this car and it gets 20MPG in town driving...24-5MPG on the highway. My wife is the primary driver and as a result it has 3 or 4 small parking lot dings on it so im not too excited about paying $40K plus for a 2021 so she can get it dinged up like this one! That said i miss my Lexus warranty and would probably buy a certified car as i have done several times over the years.
I do have a couple of local indy repair/maint shops i trust in my area . There is also an operation called Lexustechs in Atlanta which only works on Lexuses but their pricing , while lower than dealers, is still very high...I think. I'm no mechanical type so i cant do much beyond basics myself.
I realize this is a lengthy set of questions but any help i can get from this forum will be really appreciated so i can move ahead in one direction or the other. Thanks so much.
1. Yes you can get transmission fluid and rear differential fluid replaced. Dealer asks for hefty amount. It will be cheaper at independent mechanic. Approx 100$ for each. Dealer may ask 180-200$ for each.
2. Do brake fluid at 90k. Don't remember the cost but it is not that expensive.
3. Spark plug to be replaced at 120k so no need as of now. Dealer charge approx 600$. Independent mechanic 250-350. Before pandemic. Not sure how much now.
4. Radiator flush. Do you mean coolant flush? That is supposed to be done at 100k. Cost around 200$ at dealer.
5. No timing belt in 2015 RX350. It has timing chain and don't need to replaced (unless broken). Same goes for water pump. If its working, why to replace. If you want to do it, then get it done at 100k with coolant flush. Dealer will charge 1000$ for water pump. Independent 500-600$. Coolant is included with water pump replacement.
6. Your mechanic should be able to tell you how much brake pad is left. Replace at 2-4 mm. I would suggest replace rotors too that time if you are planning to keep it for few more years. There is no separate labor cost for rotors when done with brake pad replacement. Only parts cost.

I have a 2013 Lexus X 350. I did get it serviced at dealer till warranty expired. After that, I am getting it serviced at Indy shop and they use all OEM parts for lexus/toyota. Got all the above done from them and it is working fine.

Last edited by allendsup2; 03-28-22 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-22, 10:04 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I agree with everything he said above.
In addition, if you have all wheel drive then you need to change the transfer case fluid and it should be done when the differential fluid is changed. It only holds a couple of quarts and is an easy drain and fill, like the differential.
If you get the brake fluid changed and the brake pads are okay, I would have the brake caliper slide pins cleaned and lubricated. The grease on them dries out over time & mileage which can lead to frozen brake calipers and uneven pad wear. It is basic brake maintenance and is easy and quick to perform.

In this crazy car market and with under 100,000 miles this may be a good time to trade it in for something newer if it is in your budget. Car technology has advanced so much recently you would be getting a lot more tech and better mileage on a newer vehicle if any are available without insane markups.
Old 03-28-22, 01:54 PM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by allendsup2
1. Yes you can get transmission fluid and rear differential fluid replaced. Dealer asks for hefty amount. It will be cheaper at independent mechanic. Approx 100$ for each. Dealer may ask 180-200$ for each.
2. Do brake fluid at 90k. Don't remember the cost but it is not that expensive.
3. Spark plug to be replaced at 120k so no need as of now. Dealer charge approx 600$. Independent mechanic 250-350. Before pandemic. Not sure how much now.
4. Radiator flush. Do you mean coolant flush? That is supposed to be done at 100k. Cost around 200$ at dealer.
5. No timing belt in 2015 RX350. It has timing chain and don't need to replaced (unless broken). Same goes for water pump. If its working, why to replace. If you want to do it, then get it done at 100k with coolant flush. Dealer will charge 1000$ for water pump. Independent 500-600$. Coolant is included with water pump replacement.
6. Your mechanic should be able to tell you how much brake pad is left. Replace at 2-4 mm. I would suggest replace rotors too that time if you are planning to keep it for few more years. There is no separate labor cost for rotors when done with brake pad replacement. Only parts cost.

I have a 2013 Lexus X 350. I did get it serviced at dealer till warranty expired. After that, I am getting it serviced at Indy shop and they use all OEM parts for lexus/toyota. Got all the above done from them and it is working fine.
Thank you so much for taking the time to send me such an excellent detailed answer. I really appreciate it and it is just what i need to help me decide whether to keep this 2015 or trade on a 2021 NX300.
Jerry
Old 03-28-22, 02:01 PM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I agree with everything he said above.
In addition, if you have all wheel drive then you need to change the transfer case fluid and it should be done when the differential fluid is changed. It only holds a couple of quarts and is an easy drain and fill, like the differential.
If you get the brake fluid changed and the brake pads are okay, I would have the brake caliper slide pins cleaned and lubricated. The grease on them dries out over time & mileage which can lead to frozen brake calipers and uneven pad wear. It is basic brake maintenance and is easy and quick to perform.

In this crazy car market and with under 100,000 miles this may be a good time to trade it in for something newer if it is in your budget. Car technology has advanced so much recently you would be getting a lot more tech and better mileage on a newer vehicle if any are available without insane markups.
Thank you Clutchless for the excellent advice. Our 2015 has never had a single issue and although its trade in value has gone up considerably as both new and used car prices escalated, I hate trading a creampuff RX to a Lexus dealer and watch them turn it around for a $5k profit. Otherwise i would trade now primarily so i have a car under warranty or certified or both . My wife drives the car on 500 mile road trip to see her grandchildren and i like to have a worry free car for her to drive. Adding up all of the costs i will face at or around 100K I am definitely leaning toward trading in at some point this year. We are retired and dont drive that much now...sold our second car about a year ago. Just hate to get gouged by some car dealer, even Lexus!LOL
Thanks again. Really appreciate your sage advice.
Old 03-28-22, 02:07 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I also have a 2015 RX350. I plan on keeping it because I don't like the new transmissions or the auto stop start systems. Just to many electronics for me. My wife drives a 2016 NX200t. This will be my last 4 cylinder turbo SUV I'll ever buy. Nobody will tell you but cars with turbo I believe should have the oil changed more often. I don't like trying to make a 4cy run like a V-6 and using premium fuel. Also don't like having the spark plugs changed every 40,000 mile. I also find it to small.
Old 03-29-22, 02:25 AM
mtlrx
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Go try an NX, I found it small compared to the RX.
Before you do any maintenance on your existing vehicle, decide if you want to trade it in. No dealer is going to give you more for your trade in even if you just did all the above mentioned work. If you choose to keep your RX, may as well change the serpentine belt as well.
These vehicles have a great track record, and if you take care of the maintenance, you should still be fine for several more years, or your could look at it another way:
If you skip all the above maintenance, you save about $4000, back in your pocket, to put towards the new vehicle which will be in pristine shape, new tires and all.
Old 03-29-22, 07:29 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

I hear you . My wife thinks the NX is too small based on looking at a neighbor's. I want to get into a smaller car than the RX350 plus the new ones prices are hard to stomach. Even thinking about a Venza as a Plan B although i hate not having the Lexus warranty and reliability not to mention the quality vs most Toyotas.
I would really like to trade because of the Lexus warranty even though i have never had to use it in 30 years. Im now 82 so there arent many more car upgrades in my future...LOL! Im starting to see articles in the news about the car sales slipping but when car prices go down so do tradein allowances and we really only need one car these days.
Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.
Old 03-29-22, 07:47 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

The dealer gave us a loaner when they did the free 60K service on the CPO 2015 RX350. It was a NX. Myself nor my wife liked it. We both had different reasons for disliking it. She said that she is much happier to keep what she has now rather than want anything new.
Old 03-29-22, 08:18 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

Keep it. These vehicles can easily do 150,000 to 200,000 miles with the proper care. At 83,000 miles, yours is just now breaking in.
The following 2 users liked this post by RX in NC:
DLeebold (03-30-22), RX10 (03-30-22)
Old 03-29-22, 01:08 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The Venza and 2021 Lexus NX are built on the same platform.

I think the new NX may be different.
Old 03-29-22, 01:38 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The Venza and 2021 Lexus NX are built on the same platform.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aI34f5FwSY

I think the new NX may be different.
The Harrier/Venza is a newer suv, so it was already on the new TNGA-K (GA-K) chassis.
Old 03-30-22, 11:27 AM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Go with a Rx450h. Drives better, less noise, more economical. Better car overall.
Old 03-30-22, 02:40 PM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

My wife has a 2015 RX350. She loves it and wouldn't want anything else bigger. She always drove the family vehicle (mini van or SUV) when our kids were growing up. That is why she prefers the RX. It works for us too for vacations. Only you can really decide what is best for you and your family. What feels better in all the different ways between the 2?
Old 03-30-22, 05:32 PM
Phillib4
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Own 2015 Rx with 55k. 83k is no mileage on these cars. I would not have any worry with my wife going any distance with that Rx350 Quick story, had 03 rav4 with 240k and was getting concerned. Car was running fine but minor repairs were needed. Decided to repair and drove it another 147k to 387k when a jackleg totaled it. My path would be doing above recommended repairs and enjoy your car.

Quick Reply: Advice before i decide to trade or keep RX