RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Unable to reset TPMS warming - 2010 RX

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 07:03 AM
AndyT1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to reset TPMS warming - 2010 RX

During a drive, I had TPMS warning displayed. I pulled over, inflated one of my tires and continued the trip.
During the drive the warning stayed up. I found directions on how to reset it using the button in the foot well with the car on to the accessory power only (no engine).
I also inflated the tires to the appropriate pressure.
However, after pressing and holding the button, the TPMS warning continues to stay up. I noticed that the panel on which the reset button is located feels somewhat "loose" is it supposed to be that way? I wonder if the external button isn't touching the internal reset.
Any other issues that may preclude TPMS warning from resetting?
Old 06-06-22, 07:40 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Can't be sure, but for a car of that age.... I'm gonna say the battery in the actual TPMS sensor is probably dead. While they do last a long time, they do go dead eventally,
Unfortunately, back then you can't see the pressures on the dashboard so hard to tell which one(s) are faulty. You'd have to go to dealer or some other place that has a scan tool.
Old 06-06-22, 08:47 AM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

Can you please state the exact warning statement [depending on the model/display].

The expected age of the sending battery in each tire is about 8-10 yrs. Once that battery depletes, you have to have it replaced and it requires removing the tire and rebalance etc. I just got one done at Costco a few weeks ago.

Salim
Old 06-07-22, 03:37 AM
RX10
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Can you please state the exact warning statement [depending on the model/display].

The expected age of the sending battery in each tire is about 8-10 yrs. Once that battery depletes, you have to have it replaced and it requires removing the tire and rebalance etc. I just got one done at Costco a few weeks ago.

Salim
Can you tell me what the cost was at Costco please. I’m unsure when the last time my TPMS sensors were replaced on my 2010RX but I know eventually I’ll get them swapped out for new. I’m assuming Costco would perform the TPMS replacement service even if the tires on my car weren’t purchased from Costco? Thanks for any insights.
Old 06-07-22, 08:08 AM
salimshah

I don't remember exactly but it was around $75. Just give them a call and they will let you know over the phone. The only issue was that the sensors were in short supply and the first time they did not have any. Next time we were at Costco, I checked and they had some at hand, so I purchased one and made an appointment based on mutual convenience.

For my 450H, the TPMS light was on, as well as a message "communication error" [or something similar].

One of the signs before the actual fault popped up was, one of the tires was slow in conveying pressure info. I had 3 readings on display and after a bit of driving the 4th would show up.

Salim
PS: Again a phone conversation will confirm what Costco can do for you, even if the tires are purchased from someplace else.
Old 06-07-22, 08:11 AM
RX10
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
I don't remember exactly but it was around $75. Just give them a call and they will let you know over the phone. The only issue was that the sensors were in short supply and the first time they did not have any. Next time we were at Costco, I checked and they had some at hand, so I purchased one and made an appointment based on mutual convenience.

For my 450H, the TPMS light was on, as well as a message "communication error" [or something similar].

Salim
Thx for the insights Salim.
Old 06-07-22, 05:26 PM
AndyT1
Rookie

It was indeed TPMS battery. Costco replaced all 4 for around $270. Keep in mind if you have Lexus or other stem covers, take them off. The mechanics threw mine out. They replaced them with the round green ones.
Old 06-08-22, 05:11 AM
RX10
Driver

Originally Posted by AndyT1
It was indeed TPMS battery. Costco replaced all 4 for around $270. Keep in mind if you have Lexus or other stem covers, take them off. The mechanics threw mine out. They replaced them with the round green ones.
Thank you for the information. Good point on the stem caps.
Old 06-08-22, 06:36 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Whenever any of our vehicles go into a tire shop for any work (tire repair, new tires, etc.) I always remove and keep all metal valve stem caps and sleeves. Some tire techs are meticulous about returning your parts and some are not, so why run that risk.
Old 06-08-22, 09:30 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by AndyT1
The caps are just covers, that prevent accumulation of dirt on the inside of the stem. Next time you add air, this dust gets pushed in to the schrader (sp?) valve. The green colored caps are just a convention that compressed nitrogen was filled in. If you want to add air, try filling it with compressed nitrogen.

Salim

PS: Compressed nitrogen at initial install is a bogus claim, as no where the ordinary air [which is predominantly Nitrogen] was evacuated. Essentially your tire has relatively more Nitrogen. The real culprit is the moisture in the compressed air [very few places have working moisture removal equipment in compressed air to fill tires. Advantage compressed Nitrogen.
Old 06-09-22, 02:03 PM
browntrout
3rd Gear

I seem to remember that the RX (and maybe other models) had a recall related to the brake sensors? My warning light has been on so long I reverted to the time honored, traditional black piece of tape. On a Tundra, I replaced sensors (about two years ago) and they were ridiculously expensive. About $600 total installed. I would replace mine on the Lexus if they are under $300, as above.
Old 06-10-22, 08:12 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by browntrout
I seem to remember that the RX (and maybe other models) had a recall related to the brake sensors? My warning light has been on so long I reverted to the time honored, traditional black piece of tape. On a Tundra, I replaced sensors (about two years ago) and they were ridiculously expensive. About $600 total installed. I would replace mine on the Lexus if they are under $300, as above.
That is a horse of a different color. TPMS is totally independent. [Amber crossection of the tire warning light].

The sensors are not as expensive as the total cost. In hind sight if I was smart, I would replace the senders when ever I replace tires in 7yr window. I replaced mine a year ago [9yrs in service] and should have replaced the senders.

Sensor + dismantling tire(s) + installing sensor + installing tire(s) + balance + programming

Salim