RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

CV Axle Rair Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 05:12 PM
RockwellFr
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Axle Rair Issue

I have a 2012 RX350 All Wheel Drive with a drivers side CV Axle failure. I disassembled the unit, mistakenly took the old seal out, replaced it, installed the CV, and the oil just pored out. I dissembled again, replaced the CV, checked the seal, checked to assure the proper seal and installed the CV again... The oil just pored out again after assembly. At that point I went to Lexus talked to mechanics, investigated if I might have made a mistake putting the seal in. Nothing stood out as an issue... I disassembled the unit again. I went to Lexus to get the VIN Number Seal (but it seemed very much or duplicate of the ones used before). I used a large socket for install of the seal this time, loaned to me from a local knowledgeable mechanic. I put the seal in, thought for sure it was successful..Dang it, it still didn't work. I've seen individuals hammer the seal really hard, and others say to install with socket and then push into its position by hand. I felt the seal lock into the groove, I thought it was a good install, but again it still leaks out.

Any thoughts? I plan to take it to the mechanic that loaned me the socket, unless of course someone has a good experience with these damn things and can give me direction.

Thank you in advance.

Rockwell...
Old 06-22-22, 05:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Hitting the seal can cause the tension spring to pop out pack the inside/back of the seal with grease to minimize this. Use the old seal against the new seal as a cushion when you're hamming it in. To be clear this is the seal in question right?

Name:  RsKia6o.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  37.3 KB
Old 06-22-22, 06:06 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

I am not trying to be funny/insulting ... "The seal has a direction" Study that and make sure the spring side goes in the transmission. The oil is held back by the sealing of the rubber to the side of the hole ands the spring squeezing down on the shaft.

As pointed out, if the spring is getting dislodged ... you can fill the space around the spring with grease.

I would take extra time to ensure the shaft is smooth where it would mate with the seal and the hole needs to be smooth. Use flashlight and fine emry paper and wash off before installation.

Take care that locking clip does not tear the boot.

A bit late advise is to estimate the location of the seal in the hole. It would be either flush or slightly pushed in. Check the other side. Placing it away from original position [too far inside or proud may give you trouble.

Salim
Old 06-22-22, 06:10 PM
RockwellFr
4th Gear

Thank you... Yes it is the seal. And yes it was put in with the proper direction, as in the picture above.

Old 06-22-22, 06:19 PM
RockwellFr
4th Gear

Thank you. I do all the repairs on my car, but not a real mechanic. But 45 years of it has taught me that I don't always know what I am doing. This silly situation is bringing that home in a big way. Very frustrating.

Thank you all for the response, I will take if off and see if I can figure out what I am doing wrong. This last time with the super large socket that went on the outside of the shaft outer flange (or the shaft seal flange shown in the picture above... Then I took the socket out of the equation and pushed in into place by hand. I heard a click when it slipped into its new home. I thought it was a good seal install, it did leak less as I put only a bit of ATF in to see if it was going to fail. Failure is not fun, specially three times. Ouch!!

Thanks again.

Last edited by RockwellFr; 06-22-22 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-22-22, 06:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

You sure the replacement seal is the right size/correct part? Before you install fit it on the axle.
Old 06-22-22, 06:41 PM
RockwellFr
4th Gear

I will make sure to check the shaft smoothness and the boot fitting properly. It is a new CV, the shaft looks perfect, and the clip has not caused me any problems, at least I don't think so. Tough gig.The first two I got after market seals from Advanced and then the third I got from Lexus via my Vin number. They really looked similar but any difference might be hard to see by eye, but they sure look exactly the same to my trained eye. Maybe I didn't get it seated far enough in, I didn't want to hit it hard, so maybe I didn't seat in far enough. I will check that in the morning, and I guess I am not a great CV guy, just terrible.

Thank you again for reaching out, my name is Rocky and I greatly appreciate the assistance.

I will keep you posted.

Rocky
Old 06-23-22, 06:01 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

That leaves us with one more possibility .. diameter of the 'new cv'/axle.

For first gen, when the inner CV boot ripped, I opted for a repair to avoid issues with after market part.

Salim