RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Paint peeling on a 2013 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-22, 04:35 AM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FishinChic
I have the same problem on my 2013 RX 350 f-sport. On the left side of the trunk body, just below the back window, the paint started to peel off about 2 1/2 years ago. About 6 months ago I noticed the paint peeling off on the right side of the trunk body, just below the back window. How many reports of peeling paint would it take to get Toyota's attention? Any ideas?
its a widespread problem

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
We have 2011 RX350 with only 68k on the clock. We are getting random peeling in small spots around the car like inside door jams, fuel filler area, etc. Thankfully, nothing on outside surfaces yet. Don't think Lexus will be of any help on a car this old.....just using touchup paint myself to help prevent rust
thats what it started out as for me, trust me it will get worst over time

Originally Posted by marksa
Mine too. Noticed it about a year ago, not sure when it started.

Lexus didn't want to assist.
what did you end up doing?
Old 12-02-22, 04:36 AM
Riz1
Pit Crew

its crazy because my LS430 that is 17 years old has no paint wear like my wife's RX has and its babied. The white paint on Lexus is a defect and its widespread
Old 12-02-22, 07:14 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

I wonder if this paint defect is showing up on the 3rd generation white RXs that were built in both Canada and Japan, and what model years are suffering from it.

If your VIN begins with a 2, your vehicle was built in Canada. If your VIN begins with a J, your vehicle was built in Japan. The general consensus is that the build quality has always been better on the vehicles built in Japan.
Old 04-19-23, 05:50 PM
Pumpkin7
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Rx 350 Peeling Paint on Back Hatch

I am having the exact same issue with my 2010 rx 350 also Starfire Pearl, and paint peeling in the exact same spot. My 2004 Rx 330 had the same issue and was White Pearl Crystal. 😕
Old 04-19-23, 06:43 PM
marksa
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumpkin7
I am having the exact same issue with my 2010 rx 350 also Starfire Pearl, and paint peeling in the exact same spot. My 2004 Rx 330 had the same issue and was White Pearl Crystal. 😕

I know there was some type of class action resolution for other Lexus vehicles.

Does anyone have suggestions on this?
Old 04-20-23, 07:26 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

It does not cover the RX and it is way too late for it to be included. It includes the Lexus GX and a lot of Toyotas.

https://lawempower.com/toyota-paint-...ction-lawsuit/

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...72833-9999.pdf

​​​​​​https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/arti...peeling-issue/
Old 06-24-23, 12:27 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did anyone ever had success in getting Lexus to fix this issue? I made 2 tickets to Lexus corporate about this, and called them twice. Unsuccessful with all 4. I even linked this thread to them on my ticket. I pressed them for info on my car, and they told me my car was made in Canada on a Friday, which made since why my car had QC paint issues. I have a 2012 model. The edges around my windshield has this issue too. My quarter panel on both sides of the car also have cracking paint, as you can partially see in my photo. I only have 50,000 miles on my car.

Old 07-10-23, 09:08 AM
Riz1
Pit Crew

*UPDATE

just wanted to give an update, So I ended up going to my Lexus dealer from which I purchased my car from used. I showed them the paint peel and at first the service advisor said that they couldn't do anything about it since my car was a 2013 and out of warranty. I kindly asked to speak to the Head service advisor. I did and he agreed that he would send the complaint to Lexus Corporate and if they agreed then they would do the repair. So he took pictures and documented it. Told me it would take a couple weeks or so.

Well a week later my service advisor calls me and informs me that the paint repair was approved by Lexus and they would give me a loaner. Throughout this process I was being very nice and polite. Took some quick pics, here are the results as it took almost 2 weeks for them to complete but they gave me a brand new 2023 RX350 fully loaded which is nice but quite honestly not an upgrade from our generation RX's

Last edited by Riz1; 07-10-23 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 09:47 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Glad to hear that Lexus Corporate did you right. My wife's 2015 RX350 is her third RX since 2003 and our experience with this vehicle is that Lexus is not nearly as customer-friendly as they were 15 to 20 years ago.

What was it about the 2023 loaner that you did not like? My guess is the 4-cylinder engine.
Old 07-30-23, 12:51 AM
dellthecomputer
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same exact problem and location..... 2015 FSport

Aawwww man ! l'm glad you got a paint repair done to yours by the dealership-- l have the exact same paintpeeling, l put the touch up paint but l worried that its a major defect and potential recall with so many others that have the same issue. My paint is peeling all over, maybe the PO ditched it knowing it was not right anddecided to bailout early. The hood looks atrocious, paint peeling at the back along the hatch glass, um yah,l'll be on my way early Monday morning to see how the folks at Sewell are doing ! The loaner looks ok but l like mine better, V6 with 8spd gearbox(l'm always using the manual,
its lost in automatic)Thanks for giving us the update Riz, thanks to everyone for feeding in. This is in owner's favor,
and in Lexus' own favor by being upright and upstanding for their loyal fans and customers,
now and many years and generations into the future. l will be sure to feedback to homebase
with results, hopefully before and most importantly after shots of my truck.
30jul2023.dellthecomputer else have this problem? This can't be normal, I've babied this car since day 1 and it only has 79k miles. Advice on what I can do? Here are some pics of what it looks now. It started a year ago from piece by piece. I would get a hold of Lexus directly if not through a dealer. Should not happen to a Lexus. I have a 2011 with no paint issues and I live in the north east.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Riz1
*UPDATE

just wanted to give an update, So I ended up going to my Lexus dealer from which I purchased my car from used. I showed them the paint peel and at first the service advisor said that they couldn't do anything about it since my car was a 2013 and out of warranty. I kindly asked to speak to the Head service advisor. I did and he agreed that he would send the complaint to Lexus Corporate and if they agreed then they would do the repair. So he took pictures and documented it. Told me it would take a couple weeks or so.

Well a week later my service advisor calls me and informs me that the paint repair was approved by Lexus and they would give me a loaner. Throughout this process I was being very nice and polite. Took some quick pics, here are the results as it took almost 2 weeks for them to complete but they gave me a brand new 2023 RX350 fully loaded which is nice but quite honestly not an upgrade from our generation RX's

Old 07-31-23, 10:34 AM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Glad to hear that Lexus Corporate did you right. My wife's 2015 RX350 is her third RX since 2003 and our experience with this vehicle is that Lexus is not nearly as customer-friendly as they were 15 to 20 years ago.

What was it about the 2023 loaner that you did not like? My guess is the 4-cylinder engine.
pros: quiet cabin on highway speeds it is bliss and comforting, mark lev sound is wonderful, same amount of room as last generation interior cabin (good thing), and the styling of the exterior and interior is fantastic

cons: 4 cylinder buzzy engine, HUD was highly distraction and hard to use, used premium fuel only, seats are sporty and not comfy, didn't like the climate controls to be touch screen only, electronic door handles which is such a gimmick

my opinion is that they really didn't hit the mark with the 23 RX350, they catered to journalists and failed for owners.

Originally Posted by dellthecomputer
Aawwww man ! l'm glad you got a paint repair done to yours by the dealership-- l have the exact same paintpeeling, l put the touch up paint but l worried that its a major defect and potential recall with so many others that have the same issue. My paint is peeling all over, maybe the PO ditched it knowing it was not right anddecided to bailout early. The hood looks atrocious, paint peeling at the back along the hatch glass, um yah,l'll be on my way early Monday morning to see how the folks at Sewell are doing ! The loaner looks ok but l like mine better, V6 with 8spd gearbox(l'm always using the manual,
its lost in automatic)Thanks for giving us the update Riz, thanks to everyone for feeding in. This is in owner's favor,
and in Lexus' own favor by being upright and upstanding for their loyal fans and customers,
now and many years and generations into the future. l will be sure to feedback to homebase
with results, hopefully before and most importantly after shots of my truck.
30jul2023.dellthecomputer else have this problem? This can't be normal, I've babied this car since day 1 and it only has 79k miles. Advice on what I can do? Here are some pics of what it looks now. It started a year ago from piece by piece. I would get a hold of Lexus directly if not through a dealer. Should not happen to a Lexus. I have a 2011 with no paint issues and I live in the north east.
hope you get your paint peel problem solved. This is a Lexus paint defect especially on white RX350.
Old 08-01-23, 04:51 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Thanks for your feedback on driving the 2023 RX loaner. My longstanding rule for our fleet is no 4-bangers, no turbos, and no CVTs. The new RX strikes out in every category.
The following users liked this post:
Riz1 (04-04-24)