RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Check headlight levelling system

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 08:05 PM
JmsFwlr
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check headlight levelling system

The previous owner installed aftermarket headlights on my 2013 rx f-sport (halogens). I tried adjusting the lights manually hoping this would remove the message but it it didn’t. Any suggestions? Would installing oem hid afs headlights fix the issue?
Old 08-06-22, 10:43 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Did the previous owner take out the HID and replaced them with Halogen? The HID lamp assembly has motors to self level based on body angle. The associated part of the computer then throws a warning light it is enable to adjust.

Hope you can find out what was wrong before and how many things were replaced/disconnected.

Salim
Old 08-07-22, 05:37 AM
JmsFwlr
4th Gear

They replace the whole headlight assembly.
Old 08-07-22, 07:26 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Perhaps the aftermarket headlight assembly is not compatible. Have you checked its wiring to ensure that all connectors are indeed hooked up properly?
Old 08-07-22, 08:21 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by JmsFwlr
They replace the whole headlight assembly.
So now there are unconnected wires and the poor system is reporting an error.

I would revert back fully to the old, or tape over the error display or get some one to figure out how to fake the signals to the computer to think everything is OK.

My vote, ... fully revert.

Salim
Old 08-07-22, 10:28 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Go to the Lexus Drivers Site linked below, join (free) and enter your VIN. Then look at the build sheet for your RX and find out if the original headlights were HID or Halogen.
​​​​​​https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers

If you had HID from the factory (most likely) your best bet may be to do what Salim says, or find some used HID headlight assemblies at a local junkyard or eBay. If they were Halogen, do the same thing.

FYI - ​​​​​​The level sensor for the HID headlights is somewhere around the rear axle. There are old threads about it. However adjusting it now will not change anything regarding your current problems.
Old 08-07-22, 07:27 PM
JmsFwlr
4th Gear

This car is confirmed to have had HID. The previous owner installed a non HID headlights assembly and it aftermarket.

Can’t find any HID assembly in junkyards. And if they have it, it is very expensive, have some damage and no guarantee it works.

Would an aftermarket HID have the necessary sensors in the headlights?

I’m looking at the VLAN led lights - https://www.vlandus.com/en-de/produc...42959867347202

price is reasonable for both sides.

are there links to diagrams of these headlights? I would like to see exactly what’s in the headlights that is required to get the levelling system to work.
Old 08-07-22, 08:02 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

This car is confirmed to have had HID. The previous owner installed a non HID headlights assembly and it aftermarket.

Can’t find any HID assembly in junkyards. And if they have it, it is very expensive, have some damage and no guarantee it works.

I’m looking at the VLAN led lights - https://www.vlandus.com/en-de/produc...42959867347202

are there links to diagrams of these headlights? I would like to see exactly what’s in the headlights that is required to get the levelling system to work.
The original headlamp assembly would of had the 2 motors (levelling and swivel) built into them, so I’m thinking OEM will be your only option.

The following users liked this post:
salimshah (08-08-22)
Old 08-08-22, 04:15 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

^^ I concur.
Old 08-08-22, 07:57 AM
salimshah

Self leveling works in conjunction with proper positioning of the headlamp assembly. If the mounting position is "off" the specs, the resulting good position will be "off". Realizing this the previous owner may have given up on self leveling. So tread these waters carefully. There are salvage yards that specialize in type of vehicles. LKQ is one who has Lexus/Toyota [There are others too]. You can make a request for them to procure needed parts.

Salim
PS: The headlamp has motors, the level sensor and the controlling ECU are out side of the headlamp.

Last edited by salimshah; 08-08-22 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-08-22, 03:24 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Have you called Rancho Lexus Recycling?
http://www.rancholexusrecycling.com/
I think you need more than just the headlamp assemblies. You need to make sure the leveling motors, other related stuff etc are included and the wire connectors that are part of the wiring harness that plugs into the headlamp. Maybe they could agree to cut that part off also and send it with the headlamps if they have them.

Here is a link to LKQ used parts
​​​​​​https://www.lkqonline.com/?ref=g-ppc...BoCB44QAvD_BwE
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (08-08-22)