RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2014 HUD Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-22, 04:50 AM
Nickyg1478
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 HUD Retrofit

Hi all,

First time poster here.

Our family purchased our ‘14 RX 350 from the factory back in 2013, and we opted to not get the HUD installed. Lately I’ve been regretting this, and looking into how I can retrofit this item into my vehicle.

My local service center said they will not do it, or even order me the parts, so I began searching online. I’ve seen a few threads on here; they were all pretty dated and not specifically for my vehicle, but I’ve gathered this information:

Seems like I will need a new windshield, some harnesses, and the HUD unit itself. Because my vehicle had the option for it, I may not have to replace the entire dash.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Would greatly appreciate it!
Old 09-22-22, 04:58 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Trade it in for another vehicle with HUD and other more modern safety features. It will be a better investment.
The expense to do this will far outweigh the benefits and it may not be possible due to wiring harness and other component differences. What is the trade in value? How many miles are on it?
Were you going to pay a shop to do this work? I would expect something around at least $5000 or more to do it.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-22-22 at 05:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (09-22-22)
Old 09-22-22, 05:05 AM
Nickyg1478
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Trade it in for another vehicle with HUD and other more modern safety features. It will be a better investment.
The expense to do this will far outweigh the benefits and it may not be possible due to wiring harness and other component differences. What is the trade in value? How many miles are on it?
Were you going to pay a shop to do this work? I would expect something at least $5000 to do it.

Thanks for input.

The vehicle has 60k miles (not sure on trade-in value) and is in great condition; I really don’t want to trade it in, especially considering this is the first vehicle we’ve owned since day 1. Not too concerned about cost/labor involved, especially if I do work myself. Sounds like a service center wouldn’t do it anyway based on conversations I had with mine. I also don’t currently have a trustworthy mechanic to help.

Do you think it truly may not even be possible?

Thanks again!
Old 09-22-22, 06:31 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

I concur with not risking the effort and expense, especially if a new windshield must be installed. Replacing a windshield can cause water leakage inside the vehicle (leading to a whole new set of problems).
Old 09-22-22, 08:10 AM
Nickyg1478
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RX in NC
I concur with not risking the effort and expense, especially if a new windshield must be installed. Replacing a windshield can cause water leakage inside the vehicle (leading to a whole new set of problems).
Thanks. If I were to do this, I would get the windshield replaced at the service center (it has some chips in it already, so it's something I should do soon). Only question is if I can convince them to install the windshield that would work with the HUD.
Old 09-22-22, 10:02 AM
Clutchless

FYI here is an older thread on this subject: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...p-display.html

Price out the HUD windshield, it is more expensive.
The biggest issue is the unknown factor that your car wiring harness may not support HUD and replacing the entire dash assembly and wiring etc will be a thousand times more difficult and involved than you think. Look at all of the vehicle systems operated through the dash and the wiring involved if you remove it and then plan to modify it and put it back together and hope it all works afterwards.
You also should price out a used 2014 dash with HUD (if it can be found!).
Try contacting Rancho Lexus Recycling and ask about the availability and cost of the dash, windshield, HUD unit etc. and if anyone has done this before.
​​​​​​http://www.rancholexusrecycling.com/
Old 09-22-22, 10:07 AM
Clutchless

Or just get a Hudly as mentioned in the linked thread above. When they get them back in stock, or look for a similar product on Amazon or Crutchfield etc.
https://gethudly.com/products/hudly-lite
​​​​​​https://gethudly.com/products/hudly-wireless

Here are more sources for heads up displays as rated by Tom's Guide. I think these after market units make a lot more sense than trying to retrofit your vehicle. They are known to work and the investment is much smaller and you won't be stuck with your car in parts in the garage for 8 months while you try to figure out how to put it back together the third time because nothing works after you took it apart and changed the wiring. Plus they actually provide a lot more data than the Lexus unit and some look better.

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks...ads-up-display

And more units listed by The Truth About Cars
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/be...d-up-displays/

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-23-22 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-29-22, 07:12 AM
DTI
2nd gear

Default lexus rx head-up display doesn't turn on

dear all,
I have a 2012 Lexus RX270,
and the head-up display doesn't turn on.

regards

lexus rx head-up display doesn't turn on
Old 09-30-22, 03:56 PM
Clutchless

That is not the heads up display. That is part of the instrument panel.
The following users liked this post:
FinLIFE (10-01-22)
Old 12-06-22, 07:53 AM
DDRXF
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Nickyg1478
Hi all,

First time poster here.

Our family purchased our ‘14 RX 350 from the factory back in 2013, and we opted to not get the HUD installed. Lately I’ve been regretting this, and looking into how I can retrofit this item into my vehicle.

My local service center said they will not do it, or even order me the parts, so I began searching online. I’ve seen a few threads on here; they were all pretty dated and not specifically for my vehicle, but I’ve gathered this information:

Seems like I will need a new windshield, some harnesses, and the HUD unit itself. Because my vehicle had the option for it, I may not have to replace the entire dash.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Would greatly appreciate it!
Here is a good thread that explores it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...p-display.html

Someone on the GS board did this type of swap and I think Lexus typically leaves the cars pre-wired.

I did the Grom VLine install and it looked like the bracket for the module was there, just empty. I was not able to get a good look at the wiring harness.

You can pick up a HUD unit on eBay or from a junk yard I believe for 3-400 last time I looked, it was a while ago. If your not afraid of getting invasive with the dash I say go for it. So many say it can’t be done or throw out astronomical figures but who really knows until it’s done. I swapped the cluster on my Stinger GT with that of a GT2 when everyone said it couldn’t be done. So give it a shot and keep us posted.

I am curious about any possible programming that may be needed. The windshield for HUD is unique, but a possible alternative to try is I have seen some clear sticker that is put where a HUD would display to help make it more legible on a non HUD windshield. Could be worth a try from Amazon if you don’t mind the look.

I was going to plan this out but ended up doing the Grom Vline to get CarPlay and haven’t thought about this lately. But may explore it again.