RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

auto door unlock issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 05:12 AM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default auto door unlock issues

2010 model. Up until a few days ago I could loop my hand/fingers thru the drivers door handle and it would unlock. No longer. Batttery in fob?
Old 10-14-22, 06:20 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

That would indeed be my guess.
Old 10-14-22, 08:39 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by wgregt
2010 model. Up until a few days ago I could loop my hand/fingers thru the drivers door handle and it would unlock. No longer. Batttery in fob?
Is the passenger side door unlocking when you loop your hand/fingers thru the driver's door handle? If so, the remote is not the problem.

Does the driver and passenger door lock when you touch the lock sensor on the outside handle? If yes, then it's not the remote.

Keep troubleshooting

Old 10-14-22, 08:55 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Battery good/bad in KeyFOB should effect all remote functions. It seems there is no issue with transmission and reception.

At the door, you have mechanical, electromechanical actuators. Work by process of elimination. Mechanical and electro-mechanical have two different paths to a common lock.

Salim
Old 10-14-22, 08:29 PM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Update: Neither front door unlocks when looping my hand thru the handle. Neither door locks when touching the sensor in the handle. In fact, if I lock the door when closing it using the interior lock button before I get out, when I close it I hear a solid BEEP tone...and the door does not lock. You can open it right away. The tone will BEEP solidly without stopping as I walk away, and only end when I return and open the door which is unlocked.

The other remote (I have multiples) has the same issues.

Now, I CAN lock and unlock the door with the remotes, the doors do not BEEP, and stay locked when I walk away. Just cannot use the interior lock or the door handle sensors or the "loop" method to unlock.

Not sure what triggered this. I did have a thing a few days ago where I was opening the rear gate, and had to stop it and restrict the arc by hand to keep from hitting the garage door. I did get an extended BEEP then, but the rear gate opens and closes fine once I moved the vehicle.

Anyone know if there is a way to "reset" the door locks and loop and sensor?
Old 10-14-22, 09:26 PM
salimshah

Update: Neither front door unlocks when looping my hand thru the handle. Neither door locks when touching the sensor in the handle. In fact, if I lock the door when closing it using the interior lock button before I get out, when I close it I hear a solid BEEP tone...and the door does not lock. You can open it right away. The tone will BEEP solidly without stopping as I walk away, and only end when I return and open the door which is unlocked.

The other remote (I have multiples) has the same issues.

Now, I CAN lock and unlock the door with the remotes, the doors do not BEEP, and stay locked when I walk away. Just cannot use the interior lock or the door handle sensors or the "loop" method to unlock.

Not sure what triggered this. I did have a thing a few days ago where I was opening the rear gate, and had to stop it and restrict the arc by hand to keep from hitting the garage door. I did get an extended BEEP then, but the rear gate opens and closes fine once I moved the vehicle.

Anyone know if there is a way to "reset" the door locks and loop and sensor?
I would suggest step back and analyze the problem and not try to find a fix for your diagnosis [reset door lock], as that does not exist.

Staying with one failing door: [use your imagination to set up test cases, like asking an assistant to lock with thumb **** from inside and you try to unlock from outside. Avoid the test case where open the door and lock from inside and shut the door]
Does the lock, lock-unlock with the thumb lever [next to door release lever] from the inside?
Does the lock, lock-unlock with the electronic push button on the door from inside?
Does the lock engage and disengage with Gear shifter [usually RX are programmed to unlock in Park and lock in other gears].
Does the lock, lock-unlock work from outside.
Does the mechanical key work in the door? [I have never used it, is there a key slot? ignore on back doors]

Salim
PS: there is a global reset ... you remove the 12v battery GND terminal for about 20mins. Some memory settings will be lost and at least one member reported many problems afterwards.
Old 10-15-22, 05:25 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I CAN lock and unlock the door with the remotes, the doors do not BEEP, and stay locked when I walk away. Just cannot use the interior lock or the door handle sensors or the "loop" method to unlock.

If you can lock/unlock the car using the remote buttons, then check if to see if the "Smart access system" feature is still enabled in your car.

This is something that can be disabled in the car's menu, because some people just don't like it. Check your user manual.

I don't see how it could get turned off unintentionally, but it's free to check so why not start there.

Old 10-15-22, 08:28 AM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Solved. Completely my error. I post now in shame under the hopes that someone else may be helped. Ugh.

So I have a hitchsafe on this car, and when I use the bike rack I just pull the hitchsafe out and put it in the cargo area so I'll know where it is. There's not much in there: a key to the house. $10-$20 in small bills. Key to the lock on my bike rack. All of it is rolled up in 2 ziplock bags to keep it water safe.

Oh. There's also another Lexus keyfob in there as well.

Yep.

I wondered "why do I get that long BEEP when I try to lock the doors, just like the 'hey you idiot you are trying to lock the doors with a key still inside the car' BEEP?"

Because there IS a key inside the car, you dolt.

Totally forgot about the fob being in there, and it's so rolled up tight I couldn't see it in the hitchsafe tray. Completely obscured and forgotten about. Unless I lose the key somewhere.
Installed hitchsafe. Walked around to door. Lock/unlock sensor and hand loop works perfectly.

Lo, the shame.

Old 10-15-22, 04:08 PM
salimshah

Default Don't feel bad

Solved. Completely my error. I post now in shame under the hopes that someone else may be helped. Ugh.

So I have a hitchsafe on this car, and when I use the bike rack I just pull the hitchsafe out and put it in the cargo area so I'll know where it is. There's not much in there: a key to the house. $10-$20 in small bills. Key to the lock on my bike rack. All of it is rolled up in 2 ziplock bags to keep it water safe.

Oh. There's also another Lexus keyfob in there as well.

Yep.

I wondered "why do I get that long BEEP when I try to lock the doors, just like the 'hey you idiot you are trying to lock the doors with a key still inside the car' BEEP?"

Because there IS a key inside the car, you dolt.

Totally forgot about the fob being in there, and it's so rolled up tight I couldn't see it in the hitchsafe tray. Completely obscured and forgotten about. Unless I lose the key somewhere.
Installed hitchsafe. Walked around to door. Lock/unlock sensor and hand loop works perfectly.

Lo, the shame.
No reason to feel bad. You have solved the issue you were having.

Salim
Old 10-16-22, 04:06 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

Yep, no shame at all. The good news is twofold: One, you figured out your own problem. Two, you will never make that mistake again.