RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19 | 04:35 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Default Brake fluid flush today!

My 2013 RX350 F-Sport was due for oil change. Since I didn't feel like crawling under during the winter time, I decided to shop around for a deal. The previous owner had never changed the brake fluid so I thought that this sounds like a good opportunity to visit a certified shop to get it done there.
I started by calling one of the Lexus dealerships in town who quoted me $160 for oil change and $200 for brake fluid flush. Then I called Toyota dealerships to see if there's a price difference worth the switch. I finally picked one of them and got the brake fluid flush performed in one hour. I asked them to check the moisture content before performing the brake flush and the result came at 4% (after 6 years - 30k miles)

Cost for 0W20 Toyota synthetic oil = $90 (to my surprise, they offer half synthetic oil for $65)
Cost of brake fluid flush/replacement = $130

I'm not aware of anyone else in Calgary, AB, Canada who would do it for this price (except myself of course )

Cheers!

P.s. All prices are in Canadian $$ which is about 0.7 US$$
Old 01-27-19 | 06:27 AM
Clutchless

Those are great prices!
Old 05-17-22 | 04:33 PM
cipher6866
1st Gear

Hi sir, would you please tell me which dealer did you went to?

[QUOTE=heshamos;10421314]My 2013 RX350 F-Sport was due for oil change. Since I didn't feel like crawling under during the winter time, I decided to shop around for a deal. The previous owner had never changed the brake fluid so I thought that this sounds like a good opportunity to visit a certified shop to get it done there.
I started by calling one of the Lexus dealerships in town who quoted me $160 for oil change and $200 for brake fluid flush. Then I called Toyota dealerships to see if there's a price difference worth the switch. I finally picked one of them and got the brake fluid flush performed in one hour. I asked them to check the moisture content before performing the brake flush and the result came at 4% (after 6 years - 30k miles)

​​

Cost for 0W20 Toyota synthetic oil = $90 (to my surprise, they offer half synthetic oil for $65)
Cost of brake fluid flush/replacement = $130

I'm not aware of anyone else in Calgary, AB, Canada who would do it for this price (except myself of course )

Cheers!

P.s. All prices are in Canadian $$ which is about 0.7 US$$
Old 11-08-22 | 03:28 PM
lurcherman
5th Gear

Default Brake fluid change

Back to my 120k mile service, its recommended to change the brake fluid, I've bought one of those brake fluid tester pens and my fluid is all good (no water contamination). I know the pens are'nt super accurate, but does brake fluid actually break-down over time, or is the only concern is water contamination as brake fluid is hygroscopic.

Old 11-08-22 | 07:32 PM
ft1980
Rookie

Originally Posted by lurcherman
Back to my 120k mile service, its recommended to change the brake fluid, I've bought one of those brake fluid tester pens and my fluid is all good (no water contamination). I know the pens are'nt super accurate, but does brake fluid actually break-down over time, or is the only concern is water contamination as brake fluid is hygroscopic.
From my limited knowledge, water contamination is the most significant issue, but just like anything else, fluid does get dirty and break down. Honestly, I have a motive power brake bleeder that makes brake bleeding such an easy thing to do. I can do it in 10 minutes.

It's a bit expensive, I think I paid 50 for mine and another 20 for the toyota adapter, BUT boy does it make life easy and Lexus wants something ridiculously expensive just to change the brake fluid. I don't remember about the lexus, but I changed my dad's Acura's brake fluid without even removing the wheel. I had enough access through the wheel.

The only downside to changing the fluid, other than the cost, is possible leaks. I had an issue with my 2001 Trans Am where the bosh abs module started leaking after I replaced the brake fluid. The old, gunky fluid was helping the worn out, weathered seals work, but this was on a 21 year old car.

Last edited by ft1980; 11-08-22 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-09-22 | 06:44 AM
afpj
Instructor

What color is your brake fluid? When was it last changed?
Old 11-09-22 | 10:17 AM
salimshah

Ignore color, simply follow the recommended interval. Although visual clues are good, but the fluid you want to get rid of is in the tubes. The good thing about following the schedule is that you will know when the next service is due.

Salim
Old 11-09-22 | 08:29 PM
ThreeCW
Rookie

Just because your brake fluid looks great in the brake fluid reservoir, the fluid in the brake calipers (where the real work is being done) can be totally different.

The fluid in the calipers can be subjected to high heat and is subject to breaking down over time. My experience with my F350 truck was the brake fluid looked great in the reservoir but was highly discolored when bled from the calipers.

Hence the real reason you should follow a brake fluid change schedule is to ensure you have quality and clean brake fluid throughout your entire braking system.
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (11-09-22)
Old 11-11-22 | 04:46 PM
afpj
Instructor

Fluid color in the reservoir does matter to an extent....if it's dark and you can't see light through it, that's not good...change asap. You can bet that the fluid in the lines is in worse shape than what's in the reservoir to Salim's point. I changed the brake fluid on a friend's 4runner this year. He had maybe 40k Miles and 3 years since the last change at the dealership, and resevoir fluid was dark like coffee. What came out of the lines initially was actually a dark green, so some corrosion setting in. Disgusting.
Old 04-10-23 | 03:22 PM
mtlrx
Driver

Default Bake fluid flush

The last fluid for me to change on my 2014 Fsport is the brake fluid.
I plan to remove all existing fluid from the reservoir, fill it with new fluid and bleed it through to renew what is in each caliper.
Any special procedure I need to follow or can I proceed like any other car.
Old 04-10-23 | 04:46 PM
Clutchless

Like any other car. A vacuum brake bleeder tool makes the job a lot easier and it can then be done by one person. Mityvac makes an excellent vacuum bleeder that can be used for other fluids too.