RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror, removing housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 02:50 PM
RidgeRcr
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror, removing housing

Good evening everyone. I did a search in the forums and through Google and can’t get any good information on this: I have a Dongar Technologies mirror power splitter for a dash camera. I want to install it on my 2014 Lexus RX350. I’ve managed to get the top half of the cover going to the power/automatic dimming rear view mirror, but I cannot figure out how to get the second part off. Anyone else gone through this? If so, any advice for removing the piece/installation of the power splitter?
Old 11-14-22, 07:58 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

I have not removed that piece but do you really need to remove it, as it would most likely require messing with the head liner. The wires are running down the piece you have marked and should be accessible on the mirror end.

Salim
Old 11-14-22, 08:53 AM
RidgeRcr
8th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
I have not removed that piece but do you really need to remove it, as it would most likely require messing with the head liner. The wires are running down the piece you have marked and should be accessible on the mirror end.

Salim
Thanks for the response, but I really don't think that they're accessible on the mirror end. The mirror is on a ball pivot of some type from what I can see. I'll look again in about an hour or so to verify that. But basically, I want to split the power that goes to the automatic dimming mirror to power a dash camera. I'd love for it to be accessible on the mirror itself, but I really don't see that being the case.
Old 06-02-23, 08:36 AM
andyschiu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RidgeRcr
Thanks for the response, but I really don't think that they're accessible on the mirror end. The mirror is on a ball pivot of some type from what I can see. I'll look again in about an hour or so to verify that. But basically, I want to split the power that goes to the automatic dimming mirror to power a dash camera. I'd love for it to be accessible on the mirror itself, but I really don't see that being the case.
did you ever figure out how to remove that housing? Just picked up an RX 2013 and looking to do the same exact connection with the Dongar adapter.
Old 06-02-23, 08:53 AM
RidgeRcr
8th Gear

Originally Posted by andyschiu
did you ever figure out how to remove that housing? Just picked up an RX 2013 and looking to do the same exact connection with the Dongar adapter.
I'll be honest with you, I messed around with it some more after the fact, but I never really felt particularly comfortable pulling on the top part of that housing without some sort of a guide to proceed. I've basically put it on the back burner for now. If you give it a crack or have any other insight, please do let me know.

Old 06-02-23, 08:56 AM
andyschiu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RidgeRcr
I'll be honest with you, I messed around with it some more after the fact, but I never really felt particularly comfortable pulling on the top part of that housing without some sort of a guide to proceed. I've basically put it on the back burner for now. If you give it a crack or have any other insight, please do let me know.
Ah, ok. I’ll get to installing it here by the end of the month so will keep you posted on it or if I end up going a different route. Thanks
Old 09-08-23, 03:14 PM
Imperat0r
3rd Gear

Hey OP, I also bought a Dongar Technologies mirror power splitter for my 2011 Lexus RX 350. Which model adaptor did you get? I picked up the 10-pin Type B connector and it ended up not fitting. After further research, I think I need the 14 pin version, but of course - it's sold out

BTW - your package should have included one of those tiny pry tools for interior plastics. It worked very well in getting the housing off.