RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

How did they steal this RX

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-23 | 01:34 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by JasDmw
No, it's not a DIY system. Requires a pro installer as they get right into the CAN bus. Installers are all vetted by police first before being allowed to do the work as there are obvious implications of knowing your code before you change it. I saw the unit before they put it in. Tiny, no case and just a few wires. Proprietary software and required programming for each car model. A really slick device.

RCMP, OPP and many other police forces use these in their vehicles.

Gent who sold me mine told me last week that in the prior 2 weeks about a dozen attempted thefts were thwarted. One guy was on his 3rd Ram pickup when he had this installed. They got into it but couldn't steal it.
If you are in GTA, do you mind sharing where you got it installed?
Old 04-25-23 | 08:45 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
If you are in GTA, do you mind sharing where you got it installed?
sent you a PM yesterday
Old 04-25-23 | 09:02 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by JasDmw
sent you a PM yesterday

Got it. Thanks!
Old 07-03-23 | 10:10 AM
giovane
10th Gear

Has Lexus released an official fix for this vulnerability yet?
Old 07-03-23 | 06:00 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Originally Posted by giovane
There is no "official fix" and there never will be. The best you can do is make it so inconvenient to steal that the thieves will move on to an easier target.
Old 07-03-23 | 06:46 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by giovane

They will release it when they figure out how to stop pocket pickers. ,🙂🙂🙂🙂
Old 09-29-23 | 04:55 PM
derekz
10th Gear

Default Lexus RX 4th gen headlight CAN-bus injection theft issues

Hi everyone,
Lexus RX 4th gen headlight CAN-bus injection theft is kinda of becoming an issue lately, at least in Canada and UK. Haven't heard much in the US, but I think it is just a matter of time.
Is there a thread going on already or I missed it?

But in any cases here are some backgroud Info:
Canda police warning Aug-2023: https://www.edmontonpolice.ca/News/M...xusTheftsAug30
Youtube video RX being stolen under 3 mins:
NX owners are worried too: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ion-theft.html

I am just wondering anybody has taken this seriously and speak to the Lexus dealership about this and any kind of remedies?
If not from dealership, maybe some 3rd party independent car alarm system?
UK owners seems to like the GHOST immobiliser, anything similar in the US? Viper Electronic alarm?
or per one of the youtube comment:

@SY1WEK

Im sad to see this technique now being used in Ontario. They are 'hacking' the cars security system using an easily assessible wiring harness (the drivers side is the easiest to get to). Here are my tips for you Toyota & Lexus owners:
1) Park your car in the garage (during the day and night).
2) Hide your VIN from the inside. Cut into the rubber seal between the windshield and dash and slide a piece of paper to conceal the VIN and invest in fake OBD port (CAN Bus hacking from the inside).
3) Install a "shock" sensor (e.g 504d Stinger) that can be easily connected to the existing security system (there are many Youtube videos on how to install) or look into an aftermarket alarm system.
4) Protect the driver and passenger side headlight wiring harness from the public element. Talk to your mechanic for options (CAN Bus hacking from the outside).
5) Get comprehensive insurance coverage (include theft)... Camera's will not deter criminals. Remember even with an insurance claim, you are still at a loss! For the crooks reading this post - f* ck you. Get a real job For the folks who are actually making a real living and trying to prevent theft - best of luck.
I just hope this won't become another version of the "KIA boys"...

I am wondering if any RX owners being concerned and installed some kind of security systems (DIY or 3rd party).
To be honest, I think will always use the wheel lock whenever I park outside overnight, possibly get another paddle lock or something.
Maybe even just hide some apple tags inside and put anothe one the dash with a message - "there are more".

What you guys think?
Old 09-30-23 | 08:25 AM
derekz
10th Gear

Just did more research today, it seems 2016 to 2019 4th Gen RX is kind of safe from this kind of attack? Their headlight units don't use CAN-bus connector but regular wire connectors (Without the AFS options).

I was thinking to retrofit some metal plate with sharp teeth around that area and maybe some kind of wire lock to lock it inplace. At least make it harder, from a 90 sec job to 10 to 20 mins.

edit: I was wrong, there is still a connector at the bottom.
edit2: Only the ones with AFS (adaptive front lighting) options will have this CAN-bus connector.

Last edited by derekz; 10-01-23 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-30-23 | 08:36 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

I am not sure if this is as wide spread in USA as in Canada, but they steal any Lexus / Toyota SUV within minutes in Toronto area. I know people that had their 2017 RX, 2021 Highlander and 2016 RAV4s stolen. Might not have been through CAN bus though.

The interesting part is that they can easily steal and ship them out of country without any government agency intervening...................
Old 09-30-23 | 10:14 AM
derekz
10th Gear

I am not sure if this is as wide spread in USA as in Canada, but they steal any Lexus / Toyota SUV within minutes in Toronto area. I know people that had their 2017 RX, 2021 Highlander and 2016 RAV4s stolen. Might not have been through CAN bus though.

The interesting part is that they can easily steal and ship them out of country without any government agency intervening...................
Damn, that's very bad. Is Lexus Canada offering anything similar like Lexus UK? Retroffiting metal plate to make it difficuilt to gain access? I read on the news/reddit some insurance companies are asking car owners to have some kind of tag system / lojack installed?
Old 10-02-23 | 01:49 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

I visited Canada a few months ago and notice most houses I saw didn't have garages, and many high tower apartments buildings.
The days I spent there I also noticed the tv news reports were many car thefts during daytime and some caught on ring-cams. The good thing it was not one shooting incident report the 3 days I was there.
Just thought I share...
Old 10-03-23 | 12:23 PM
Fablife
Driver School Candidate

Live in GTA myself. Insurance on RX is INSANE due to high theft.
Insurance companies are suggesting engine immobilizers.
It’s my understanding, the ones that have a separate remote are best. This is because thieves would spoof the OEM remote to gain access to the car; but without having (or knowing of) the Immobilizer remote - as soon as they open the door; the alarm will go off still AND the engine will not start until the immobilizer fob is accessed.
Old 10-03-23 | 01:13 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Fablife
Live in GTA myself. Insurance on RX is INSANE due to high theft.
Insurance companies are suggesting engine immobilizers.
It’s my understanding, the ones that have a separate remote are best. This is because thieves would spoof the OEM remote to gain access to the car; but without having (or knowing of) the Immobilizer remote - as soon as they open the door; the alarm will go off still AND the engine will not start until the immobilizer fob is accessed.
i wonder how that works with Lexus warranty then???

Old 10-03-23 | 01:51 PM
FastFord
Racer

Insurance comes due next month. Gee thanks for the $260.00 jump in rates/year 890 to 1150

Called the company and got the info, yup Lexus RX350 is on the hit list with 5 other vehicles for an increase due to theft.

I get a discount because it's locked in a garage at home. Dang what happens if you don't have a garage or park in a condo like setting?

Toyota, Lexus, Honda and Dodge/Chev/GMC trucks all on the most wanted list....at least here in Ontario Canada

Cheers!
Old 10-03-23 | 08:36 PM
Fablife
Driver School Candidate

i wonder how that works with Lexus warranty then???
I had the dealership install it so should not be any issues with warranty.

There are authorized 3rd party installers too.

I have not heard of any warranty issues as a result of immobilizer installations, but you raise a good point.