RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Bad decision buying RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-23 | 12:11 PM
Lead Lap

You brought the wrong model. The Rx450h has no vibration at idle.

Did you not test drive?
The following 3 users liked this post by 703:
biglex29 (06-01-23), Freds430 (04-28-23), jollick (04-29-23)
Old 04-28-23 | 12:23 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

I also have a 2020 and aside from a very rare dash rattle on cold days (that btw was easy to fix), my RX has been flawless.

I have no vibration and no issues with CarPlay and my iPhone.

My expectations for power were confirmed on my test drives, so I got what I expected to get.

So far (60,000 miles) the RX has been pretty much perfect.

Sorry that your vehicle has not met expectations. As others have said, life is too short to be frustrated, so if $$$ allows, perhaps a different choice is in order.
Old 04-28-23 | 12:26 PM
Les7311
Rookie

You bought a COVID car….. no kidding. During the pandemic and car built during that window, it’s reported that the quality declined and manufacturers used cheap everything (then)
Old 04-28-23 | 12:43 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TechNut
Lexus is like any other brand. They have certain issues that run across an entire model generation, and they have individual cars that are just problematic. In theory, the surveys merely suggest they have fewer problems overall than most other brands (a broad generalization of course). I have owned numerous other brands that were similarly reliable, and Audis.

Anyway, you are certainly welcome to share issues your vehicle has - I would even argue encouraged. If the conversation is positive and not simply slamming the model/brand, you will find most people here want to help. But remember, any discussion forum like this will be largely filled with owners who are enthusiastic about their cars. When you title a thread “Bad decision buying an RX 350” you are bound to get a response from owners that feel like you are slamming the model rather than simply your vehicle. Your post has comments like “switching to Lexus was a very big mistake” which simply adds to that perception that you are slamming the brand.

I agree with those posters that have encouraged you to sell the car. Life is just too short. Resale values are still pretty good so you don’t want to keep a car that you are so clearly unhappy with. Nothing anyone here can say that will change your mind on the brand/model so why even consider keeping it?
Well said!!!
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (04-28-23)
Old 04-28-23 | 04:11 PM
Jsico
Driver School Candidate

I bought one for my wife a month ago
she loves it, no complaints
Old 04-29-23 | 01:05 PM
artem123
Pit Crew

Switching from a German brand could be a very challenging when it comes to this vehicle. I went through the same with withdraw process back in 2020. I was always driving Germans and for the past eight years before 2020 i had had X5s. At first, everything was inconvenient to me, I guess it’s just a personal factor of personal preferences at the time. Quality of the ride which is not smooth and battery at all compared to German counterparts, very noisy engine, and constant rattles really drove me nuts, I wanted to pawn it right away at the beginning. I totally agree with OP about quality of work dealer perform, I am assuming it’s mostly for the part that nothing really breaks in those things and every time when you come for service they look at you like you have to heads (lol).
However after nearly 3 years of ownership I grew to respect that vehicle very much. I managed to put about 48,000 miles and my three years anniversary coming in August. After sorting out the rattles inside the cabin with one square sheet of felt that I bought for $2 at Michael’s cabin became nearly rattle free. Car has been mechanically flawless and virtually shows zero signs of aging.
I guess I am a happy guy and I always love what I have)
Sorry, my two cents))
✌️

Last edited by artem123; 04-29-23 at 01:19 PM.
ravenuer (04-29-23)
Old 04-29-23 | 02:23 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Originally Posted by artem123
Switching from a German brand could be a very challenging when it comes to this vehicle. I went through the same with withdraw process back in 2020. I was always driving Germans and for the past eight years before 2020 i had had X5s. At first, everything was inconvenient to me, I guess it’s just a personal factor of personal preferences at the time. Quality of the ride which is not smooth and battery at all compared to German counterparts, very noisy engine, and constant rattles really drove me nuts, I wanted to pawn it right away at the beginning. I totally agree with OP about quality of work dealer perform, I am assuming it’s mostly for the part that nothing really breaks in those things and every time when you come for service they look at you like you have to heads (lol).
However after nearly 3 years of ownership I grew to respect that vehicle very much. I managed to put about 48,000 miles and my three years anniversary coming in August. After sorting out the rattles inside the cabin with one square sheet of felt that I bought for $2 at Michael’s cabin became nearly rattle free. Car has been mechanically flawless and virtually shows zero signs of aging.
I guess I am a happy guy and I always love what I have)
Sorry, my two cents))
✌️
You forgot to mention that BMW requires very expensive maintenance each year. I have a 2018 and it has been to Lexus only once for a free oil change, only to other shops for oil changes and nothing else.
Old 04-29-23 | 02:56 PM
artem123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by golferjack
You forgot to mention that BMW requires very expensive maintenance each year. I have a 2018 and it has been to Lexus only once for a free oil change, only to other shops for oil changes and nothing else.
I heard horrid stories about BWW. I guess I was very lucky with every single one I had. I never had anything big go wrong with them. Comprehensive maintenance was always nice. After it was over I stuck to an oil changes and anything else that is suggested I safely ignored.
Old 04-29-23 | 04:10 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

This guy just didn't do his homework before he bought his car. His expectations were completely wrong. He wanted a "buttery smooth" car with "spirit and oomph." In other words he wanted a high end, luxury, sports car. Instead he bought a more polished Toyota SUV with a modestly higher price tag than a typical Toyota SUV. He probably needed to pay far more for a vehicle to meet his expectations and he probably would have still been disappointed.

I also bet that the dealer is sick of his complaining if he can't get a service appointment for 1-2 months. I have never heard of a Toyota or Lexus dealer that didn't have quick appointments.
The following 3 users liked this post by jrobe:
coolbrazz (04-30-23), Lexspeed (04-29-23), ravenuer (04-30-23)
Old 04-30-23 | 06:11 AM
golferjack
Advanced

I heard horrid stories about BWW. I guess I was very lucky with every single one I had. I never had anything big go wrong with them. Comprehensive maintenance was always nice. After it was over I stuck to an oil changes and anything else that is suggested I safely ignored.
Here is some information I found on BMW regarding maintenance. "Which is more expensive to maintain BMW or Lexus?
BMW is in the first place, with an average maintenance cost over 10 years of $17,800.” Lexus enjoys 28th place on this list at only $7000 barely losing to its close cousin Toyota at 30th with $5500 maintenance cost per 10 years."
My maintenance costs have been 200/ year for oil changes and two sets for tires on 2018 with 66000 miles.

I naturally wonder why BMW. Is it really worth it?
Old 04-30-23 | 06:58 AM
ravenuer
Racer

I'm sure there are lots of appealing qualities to BMWs, Mercedes etc. Two of my kids have owned them over the years and loved them. And yes, they required maintenance. Whatever floats yur boat, I guess.
Old 04-30-23 | 09:45 AM
artem123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by golferjack
Here is some information I found on BMW regarding maintenance. "Which is more expensive to maintain BMW or Lexus?
BMW is in the first place, with an average maintenance cost over 10 years of $17,800.” Lexus enjoys 28th place on this list at only $7000 barely losing to its close cousin Toyota at 30th with $5500 maintenance cost per 10 years."
My maintenance costs have been 200/ year for oil changes and two sets for tires on 2018 with 66000 miles.

I naturally wonder why BMW. Is it really worth it?
like I said, I DRIVE RX which I purchased straight forward in August 2020. It is not very top of the line trim neither F sport. If I follow every single recommendation from the dealer I am sure cost of maintenance will add up as dealers naturally prone to milk every penny out of you, selling you unicorn geez every single time when you were there.
Same applies to BMW dealers. Their complementary service plan changes from yesr to year but in generally it’s either three or two years of completely complementary maintenance program, after which they will try to push you toward flushing your brakes and radiator with organic holly water and switching air in the tires from strawberry to cherry flavor. I’ve never done that. I never kept any BMW longer than 12 years, however each of them required absolutely standard maintenance including oils, brake pads and rotors. In my E90 ( which I kept longest ) all I had to do was to replace the fuel pump and every single ignition coil over the course of 12 years.
Naturally, each brand has its own pluses and minuses. BMW is quite different than Lexy and definitely will give you more fun feelings when you drive it. This is the fact, however after 5-6 years any Bimmer looks a little tired, while Lexus in my opinion, with standard care shows no signs of aging)
Freds430 (04-30-23)
Old 04-30-23 | 10:01 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

I think the original OP (Lexquest) has dropped out of the conversation. Too late: The can of worms has been opened and nobody here will ever be able to put it to sleep.
ravenuer (04-30-23)
Old 04-30-23 | 12:10 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

like I said, I DRIVE RX which I purchased straight forward in August 2020. It is not very top of the line trim neither F sport. If I follow every single recommendation from the dealer I am sure cost of maintenance will add up as dealers naturally prone to milk every penny out of you, selling you unicorn geez every single time when you were there.
Same applies to BMW dealers. Their complementary service plan changes from yesr to year but in generally it’s either three or two years of completely complementary maintenance program, after which they will try to push you toward flushing your brakes and radiator with organic holly water and switching air in the tires from strawberry to cherry flavor. I’ve never done that. I never kept any BMW longer than 12 years, however each of them required absolutely standard maintenance including oils, brake pads and rotors. In my E90 ( which I kept longest ) all I had to do was to replace the fuel pump and every single ignition coil over the course of 12 years.
Naturally, each brand has its own pluses and minuses. BMW is quite different than Lexy and definitely will give you more fun feelings when you drive it. This is the fact, however after 5-6 years any Bimmer looks a little tired, while Lexus in my opinion, with standard care shows no signs of aging)
My 2017 RX450h five years old 82,000 miles looks like it did the day I purchased it. Paint perfect not a ding. Interior pristine looks brand new. In this time in maintenance spent under $1,000.
ravenuer (04-30-23)
Old 04-30-23 | 04:58 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by babinni
I agree with you for what its worth. I'm on my 2nd RX350, and right now wish I owned anything BUT Lexus - the reliability is questionable in my mind Bought out lease last year, and have just been presented with an estimate of $9944 for repairs. With 98K km (60K mi). I nearly fell over. Seriously. reliable? hah! what's happened to Lexus?
I'm in ON too BTW. interesting. Maybe Cambridge keeps the good ones for export
Hmm. You are on your 2nd Lexus and yet you have only 3 posts? Might you and Lexquest work for the same non-Lexus dealership in Ontario?
The following 3 users liked this post by sderman:
coolbrazz (05-01-23), Freds430 (04-30-23), PhxBill (04-30-23)

Quick Reply: Bad decision buying RX 350