RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Bad decision buying RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-23, 08:11 AM
babinni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Hmm. You are on your 2nd Lexus and yet you have only 3 posts? Might you and Lexquest work for the same non-Lexus dealership in Ontario?
well not unless Lexquest is a middle aged woman retiree in Barrie. Don't be so quick to accuse ppl of shady stuff. They might get the impression this forum isn't so welcoming. Remember - you all had a 3rd post at one time. Maybe my few posts mean I cant contribute that much- I'm not that knowledgeable. I really haven't have any Lexus issues until last week- just thought id check here on wheel bearing issues) MY first RX was flawless, never had an issue and traded it at lease end. This RX I loved until last week, I LOVE lexus. But I'm frustrated as hell right now faced with a $10K bill out of the blue with regular maintenance. I don't know if it's the dealership here or the car. ( that's a whole diff topic...) This isn't deferred maintenance to be clear.

But whatever. You're right. I'm wrong.
Old 05-01-23, 08:34 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by babinni
well not unless Lexquest is a middle aged woman retiree in Barrie. Don't be so quick to accuse ppl of shady stuff. They might get the impression this forum isn't so welcoming. Remember - you all had a 3rd post at one time. Maybe my few posts mean I cant contribute that much- I'm not that knowledgeable. I really haven't have any Lexus issues until last week- just thought id check here on wheel bearing issues) MY first RX was flawless, never had an issue and traded it at lease end. This RX I loved until last week, I LOVE lexus. But I'm frustrated as hell right now faced with a $10K bill out of the blue with regular maintenance. I don't know if it's the dealership here or the car. ( that's a whole diff topic...) This isn't deferred maintenance to be clear.

How many miles on your car? Are you sure it needs all that work? Maybe a second opinion?
The following users liked this post:
Quantum501 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 08:35 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 590 Likes on 413 Posts

Can I ask what the dealer is saying you need and why? This amount is definitely not normal. I would challenge the items and the amount.
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
Lexquest (05-01-23), ravenuer (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 09:05 AM
Les7311
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus only a month ago replaced at 59k miles:

- transmission
- water pump
- exhaust down pipe

covered under warantee, but lucky as a few hundreds more and I would have face a stealership crazeeeee fee

now on full up, there is a banging/rattling coming from the gas filler neck to the tank and is a $2k plus replacement (outside of warantee)

@babinni
if you have to get to, some of those things you can DIY and save some
Old 05-01-23, 12:25 PM
babinni
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=ravenuer;11498155]How many miles on your car? Are you sure it needs all that work? Maybe a second opinion?[/QUOTE Now 99,000 km or 60,000 miles- was at 90K km when it was done first time. I am not sure it needs all this work, As a woman I don't generally question a dealership, especially @ Lexus. In 10 years at a few diff Lex dealerships I've found them to be fair, (well with everything but $105 /hr bench rate lol) . I've not EVER felt like unnecessary things were reco'd. But this makes me really concerned.

For context this exact same inspection was done in Dec - and just re-done. Why? bc in Dec I was told I needed heat shields, and some other things, but based on my covo with him, I wasn't concerned and some covered under warranty , absolutely nothing like this list- (but it did inc brakes - but when I pointed out they had been done there at 70k, 20 K ago, for just under $900, the guy said "oh, let me look into that" ) .....so I waited to hear from them -said they'd schedule a date when the parts came in. Ive been calling them every month to follow up. No call backs from 3 messages.

Last week I finally connect with the acting GM, the new Ops Director, who says there are no parts they are waiting on and nothing is under warranty, and he then offered to re-inspect free. This estimate is a result of that new inspection. I asked how this can be so different from my conversation with the service manager in Dec. "that why I fired him" . and " maybe these new things happened after the December inspection. Things happen you know."
To make matters worse, everyone there literally there has left in a matter of a few months (unusual) zero continuity, you cant follow up with anyone, And on google reviews someone suggesting sketchiness on repairs to compensate for loss of sales during covid -serious accusation. If memory serves that woman had her repair done somewhere else for $6 k less on her 2007 lexus. Regardless I wont be going back there ever unless something changes.
Apologies in advance for the extra long rant
Old 05-01-23, 12:42 PM
babinni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Les7311
Lexus only a month ago replaced at 59k miles:

- transmission
- water pump
- exhaust down pipe

covered under warantee, but lucky as a few hundreds more and I would have face a stealership crazeeeee fee

now on full up, there is a banging/rattling coming from the gas filler neck to the tank and is a $2k plus replacement (outside of warantee)

@babinni
if you have to get to, some of those things you can DIY and save some
DIY? that's funny, on a related note though how did you get a water pump under warranty, my car has the same mileage/ needs water pump -. time for me to google "water pump warranty" grr
Old 05-01-23, 12:52 PM
babinni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Can I ask what the dealer is saying you need and why? This amount is definitely not normal. I would challenge the items and the amount.
the dealer is saying I need what is on the list on the estimate (pic above) and the starred things are "critical". Ie have to be done now. He says the balance can be done in a few months -but this year.
I asked the cost to complete the "critical" only for now ( after he told me my engine is gone if the water pump fails) he said $4400+tax. basically half. The funny part is I think he said the parts are only $1100 of the total or something - at which time i asked if he thought its too late for me to go back to school to become a mechanic.
I did say if it needs $10K in service I'm surprised I can drive it off the lot.
Old 05-01-23, 01:43 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 469 Likes on 256 Posts

I can't see the details of this statement very clearly, but some of these are maintenance items that are going to be top dollar if you use the Lexus dealership. Plug, brakes, fluid changes, etc will be billed at maximum price vs a Toyota or independent shop. Not really a fault of the vehicle if this work is indeed due. I don't know the mileage on your vehicle, but my brakes at 60k are not even close to needing any service. I would shop around for some of the work and use Lexus for warranty. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
babinni (05-09-23)
Old 05-01-23, 02:33 PM
babinni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quantum501
I can't see the details of this statement very clearly, but some of these are maintenance items that are going to be top dollar if you use the Lexus dealership. Plug, brakes, fluid changes, etc will be billed at maximum price vs a Toyota or independent shop. Not really a fault of the vehicle if this work is indeed due. I don't know the mileage on your vehicle, but my brakes at 60k are not even close to needing any service. I would shop around for some of the work and use Lexus for warranty. Good luck.
Thanks - I intend to take it to an independent garage.
re warranty work, The dealership's new guy claims nothing is covered but this is his first lexus job - he's 2 mo old. (former service mgr said warranty covers something- I've just googled and it seems the water pump is part of the drivetrain and should be covered up to 110k or 6 years -I think I'm under on both - definitely if you use original Dec inspection as your frame of reference) And my brakes were done at 70K km ( 42K miles) and they are saying AGAIN they need to be done (at 90 K km - 54K Miles) . SO twice before 55k miles
I cant tell if they need to be done either time.

Last edited by babinni; 05-01-23 at 02:40 PM. Reason: just realized i Need to convert to miles
Old 05-01-23, 03:39 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Babinni: I agree with Quantum501 about your issues. I read your posts again and I would highly recommend you stay far away from that dealer. Toyota dealers are very capable of servicing a Lexus, as would be many independent shops. I would check your owners manual for the factory recommended services and go with them (spark plugs). The only thing I would have checked carefully would be the water pump. If that does need to be repaired, it should be covered by the warranty. Does the hood open normally? Both front wheel bearings? Trailing arms? Ridiculous!! And I would be surprised if the brakes needed to be done at 20k miles.
Good luck.
Old 05-01-23, 04:06 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 590 Likes on 413 Posts

[QUOTE=babinni;11498313]
Originally Posted by ravenuer
How many miles on your car? Are you sure it needs all that work? Maybe a second opinion?[/QUOTE Now 99,000 km or 60,000 miles- was at 90K km when it was done first time. I am not sure it needs all this work, As a woman I don't generally question a dealership, especially @ Lexus. In 10 years at a few diff Lex dealerships I've found them to be fair, (well with everything but $105 /hr bench rate lol) . I've not EVER felt like unnecessary things were reco'd. But this makes me really concerned.

For context this exact same inspection was done in Dec - and just re-done. Why? bc in Dec I was told I needed heat shields, and some other things, but based on my covo with him, I wasn't concerned and some covered under warranty , absolutely nothing like this list- (but it did inc brakes - but when I pointed out they had been done there at 70k, 20 K ago, for just under $900, the guy said "oh, let me look into that" ) .....so I waited to hear from them -said they'd schedule a date when the parts came in. Ive been calling them every month to follow up. No call backs from 3 messages.

Last week I finally connect with the acting GM, the new Ops Director, who says there are no parts they are waiting on and nothing is under warranty, and he then offered to re-inspect free. This estimate is a result of that new inspection. I asked how this can be so different from my conversation with the service manager in Dec. "that why I fired him" . and " maybe these new things happened after the December inspection. Things happen you know."
To make matters worse, everyone there literally there has left in a matter of a few months (unusual) zero continuity, you cant follow up with anyone, And on google reviews someone suggesting sketchiness on repairs to compensate for loss of sales during covid -serious accusation. If memory serves that woman had her repair done somewhere else for $6 k less on her 2007 lexus. Regardless I wont be going back there ever unless something changes.
Apologies in advance for the extra long rant
this certainly sounds like this dealership is trying to scam you.

I would contact Lexus Canada customer service manager and share a copy of the quote along with all the previous work that was done as well as your explanation and ask them to investigate.

if they fall to resolve, try going to News channels like CBC marketplace.

Old 05-01-23, 10:31 PM
babinni
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=toyotaman7;11498439]

this certainly sounds like this dealership is trying to scam you.

I would contact Lexus Canada customer service manager and share a copy of the quote along with all the previous work that was done as well as your explanation and ask them to investigate.

if they fall to resolve, try going to News channels like CBC marketplace.
Thanks Toyotaman. yup We're on the same page.

I called Lexus corp the very next day- I told them the story.
Customer service says " they are independently owned dealerships blah blah" ...but that they take these calls seriously, and basically listened and did nothing. He directed me back to the dealership to resolve it - He gave me the name of the Service Manager - -( at which point I told him that's who I went over the FIRST inspection with, that said its under warranty, and THAT HE had been "fired 2 or 3 months ago).

I asked for an email address to follow up with Lexus corporate - He provided one while saying " but it just comes back to us" .. I said great- you'll have a chance to go over it at your leisure then.
I emailed them, provided my VIN and a copy of the estimate - they can pull the old records on file if need be. That was Thursday.

I haven't heard back from them yet. But its only been a couple of Biz days since. Not confident I ever will. .

But I did leave a message for service today to call me- I want to confirm that the water pump is under warranty- because they told me it wasn't.
Depending on if/when I hear anything significant on this, I may come back and up date here just for fun.

*Thanks for everyone's suggestions. *

Old 05-02-23, 08:37 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Babinni: Again, sorry you have to go thru this nonsense. If your car is under the time and mileage limit for the water pump, I would highly recommend you not deal with this dealer. Replacing a water pump is not an easy job. It requires removal of alot of other parts and I wouldn't trust that shop to do it. Is there another Lexus dealer a reasonable distance away?
Old 05-02-23, 12:22 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Babinni: Again, sorry you have to go thru this nonsense. If your car is under the time and mileage limit for the water pump, I would highly recommend you not deal with this dealer. Replacing a water pump is not an easy job. It requires removal of alot of other parts and I wouldn't trust that shop to do it. Is there another Lexus dealer a reasonable distance away?
In Denver there a number of independent Toyota/Lexus repair shops that do anything the dealers do for a more reasonable price. You might look into this alternative.
Old 05-02-23, 01:03 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
In Denver there a number of independent Toyota/Lexus repair shops that do anything the dealers do for a more reasonable price. You might look into this alternative.
Not just in Denver but lot's of places all over the country. Do your research. Ask around. Go into a shop and ask if they do that type of work. Some do and some don't. You might get lucky and find a very talented technician right in your neighborhood. You won't know until you ask.

Quick Reply: Bad decision buying RX 350