RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

brake system noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 09:24 PM
Lorn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake system noise

I have a question: I have a 2020 RX and something very odd happened, I put my car in accessory mode, and then turned off the parking brake, and then put the car in reverse to back it out. Normally, after I hit the brakes a few times they get stiff and it is a bit harder to stop the car, but when I would hit the brakes even just a bit, even just a tap, the car would give me like some sort of power assist, and I heard a winding noise - when I took my foot off the brakes, the car rolled with no noise, and then when I tap the breaks again (ever so lightly) the car instantly gives me assistance somehow, and it slams on the brakes for me. I found this very odd so I recorded, and will post a video with the noise upon request if you have any ideas what this could have been. To make it even crazier, after I started the engine, and then went back in to accessory with the epb off and car in reverse, it acted completely normal (no assistance, no winding noise) the pedal was stiff and the car was “harder” to stop! Any input you have is greatly appreciated. I think the winding noise was coming from front passenger side of engine bay.

Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/ipvNToAGolA?feature=share
Old 06-25-23, 01:57 PM
Lorn
Rookie

Hello does anyone have any input on this?
thanks

https://youtube.com/shorts/ipvNToAGolA?feature=share
Old 07-03-23, 09:03 PM
Nicholasypz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife reversed my RX out one time without turing the engine on, didn't make the noise heard from your video. Yours almost sounds like park braking trying to disengage or engage, but still sounds a little different.

My cars parking brake also makes weird noises after turning off the car, within a few minutes of turing off the car, with parking brake already engaged, it sometime would want to wind a little more for a split of second, you can hear it...
Old 07-04-23, 08:05 PM
Lorn
Rookie

Mine does the split second EPB thing too. Also happens if you pull up on switch after it has engaged, it will click a few times if you keep pulling up, then stops. - happens on both my 2019 and 2020, so I would say it’s normal.

Regarding the noise coming from my car - I tried:
- Turing off engine while driving at perhaps 50 MPH, quickly pumped the brakes a few times to get it stiff and power assist gone, and then if you put your foot down on the brake that noise happens and the BRAKE MIL comes on. It appears to me to be an additional system added in likely as a result of the Toyota Unintended Acceleration Incidents that started back in like 2009 with the introductions of the ETCS, (Electronic Throttle Control System).