RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tongue Weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23 | 06:39 AM
A440
Driver

Default Tongue Weight

What is the tongue weight limit of the 2016 Lexus 2WD? Not the tongue weight capabilites of the hitch.
Old 10-26-23 | 01:08 PM
FastFord
Racer

Based on your other post, maybe, just maybe, this is what you are looking for.... copied from somewhere....not your exact SUV, but close enough...

I have read through most of the expert answers and i have come to the conclusion i may be overthinking this application. I have a 2015 Husqvarna FE 350. Wet weight is just around 250 pounds. I want to get a class 3 hitch with tongue weight max of 675 pounds, The vehicle it would go on would be a 2015 Lexus RX 350. Max towing capacity per the manual is 3500 pounds. 10-15 Tongue weight would be 350-525 lbs. So far so good. With a carrier weight of approximately 40lbs plus the motorcycle of 250lbs im at 290lbs. My question is does the 18 inches that the carrier extends from the hitch to place the motorcycle far enough away from the vehicle add additional leverage force which would change the basic math. My thought is it would making the effective tongue weight more than 290 lbs. Am i over thinking this. If that 18 inches of leverage effectively increases the tongue weight what is the calculation to determine whether or not it falls within the projected tongue weight of the vehicle of 350-525 lbs? Thanks for your help. I really think this is a much better set up for me then a trailer but it has me nervous.

asked by: Ed D

Expert Reply:

According to the owner's manual, the 2015 Lexus RX350 has a 3500 lb towing capacity if it's equipped with the towing package. If you're unsure how your vehicle is equipped, just call your Lexus dealer and provide the VIN, they will be able to tell you if the vehicle is equipped with the tow package.

The manual goes on to say that the tongue weight should be 9-11% of the trailer weight or weight of the load carried by the hitch. This translates to between 315 and 385 lbs for the tow package equipped model. So, this means that the carrier and the bike together couldn't weigh more than 385 lbs.

It's pretty common for a trailer hitch to have a higher towing capacity or tongue weight capacity than the vehicle it's installed on, but the actual capacities of the vehicle still need to be observed and adhered to.

So, long story short, if you use a light enough carrier like the # e98873 you looked at and the vehicle is equipped with the tow package, the vehicle will handle the approximately 300 lbs of tongue weight just fine. The distance between the platform and the receiver hitch won't reduce the hitch tongue weight capacity because the carrier and its shank are one solid assembly. If a hitch extender which would introduce another piece into the mix were used, then the capacity would be lowered by half.

As you can see by reading the product reviews, this carrier is highly rated by our customers and we haven't had any issues with it. As long as you don't exceed the vehicle's tongue weight capacity as described above, you'll be good.

If you haven't chosen a receiver hitch yet, I'd recommend the Curt # C13143. You can see a product video featuring the Maxx Tow carrier and an install video for the hitch I recommended by using the provided links.