RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Locked out of RX350, keys not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 06:37 PM
Nyp20680
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out of RX350, keys not working

I have a 2016 rx250. I started noticing recently that sometimes when I turn off my car and open the door, the chime will come on. When ever that happens, I would not be able to lock my car with my fob. There would be a long beep and a message on the dash saying "key fob not detected" and a "turn vehicle off" message even if the car is turned off. Today, I turned off my car and opened the door(no chime this time) and locked it with the door handle touch system. I went to try and unlock my car later and it would not unlock. The fob, physical key, and even the unlock button inside the car(we had to pry the door open a bit to get a stick in) did not work. I thought my car battery was bad but it was not the case. I even changed out the battery on the key fob and still nothing. The only way we got it to open was pulling the door handle on the inside of the car. After I drove it home, I tested the key fob and everything worked fine. We determined it must be some kind of electrical issue. Has anyone had any similar issues with their lexus? And any clues or idea to what could have happened. I do plan to take it to a shop to get it check out soon.
Old 04-27-24, 05:42 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 590 Likes on 413 Posts

Did you change the fob battery?
Old 04-27-24, 05:57 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Did you change the fob battery?
In his post, he said he changed the FOB battery.
Old 04-27-24, 06:03 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyp20680
I have a 2016 rx250. I started noticing recently that sometimes when I turn off my car and open the door, the chime will come on. When ever that happens, I would not be able to lock my car with my fob. There would be a long beep and a message on the dash saying "key fob not detected" and a "turn vehicle off" message even if the car is turned off. Today, I turned off my car and opened the door(no chime this time) and locked it with the door handle touch system. I went to try and unlock my car later and it would not unlock. The fob, physical key, and even the unlock button inside the car(we had to pry the door open a bit to get a stick in) did not work. I thought my car battery was bad but it was not the case. I even changed out the battery on the key fob and still nothing. The only way we got it to open was pulling the door handle on the inside of the car. After I drove it home, I tested the key fob and everything worked fine. We determined it must be some kind of electrical issue. Has anyone had any similar issues with their lexus? And any clues or idea to what could have happened. I do plan to take it to a shop to get it check out soon.
Not an expert on this kind of stuff, but it sounds to me like the FOB battery was bad. I know it still didn't work after changing it, but I kind of think the FOB needed to be "paired" with the car again, which sounds like what happened. Glad it's ok now, let us know how you make out.
Old 04-27-24, 02:02 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

The next time it quits working, see if the tailgate will open and close. I suspect that the lock actuator or actuator sensor may be the problem. It's possible that some moisture got in there and over time caused some minor corrosion to the electrical contacts. This would explain why it works intermittently. If you are not a DIY person, you probably have a local locksmith that works on car locks. It would be a lot cheaper than the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
leouk (07-29-24)
Old 04-30-24, 07:34 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I assume you have only (1) key fob. All of my RX's came with (2). It would be a good way to eliminate the key fob having the issue.
Key Fobs can stop working, I had an Acura TL Fob that that had similar issues, and I started using my wife's until replacing it.
Old 05-02-24, 10:46 PM
girthquake

i agree with jcg that you should call a local locksmith, depending on where your located. we have a place nearby and he helped me with a similar issue and im sure he would be happy to answer any questions. it may be that it could be electrical and not immobilizer related at all so it wouldnt hurt to ask first. not sure what the rules are on posting phone numbers but the place is called nela locksmith and the website is here
Old 07-29-24, 02:04 PM
leouk
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue of the chime, too. 8 beeps, just counted. I saw a similar case here, they said it was the rear seat alert. If you get out of the car, and lock it without opening one of the back doors first, it rapid beeps for the rear seat alert. You can check this out
8 beeps
Old 07-30-24, 08:38 AM
Novaman83
5th Gear

Default Pair key fon

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Not an expert on this kind of stuff, but it sounds to me like the FOB battery was bad. I know it still didn't work after changing it, but I kind of think the FOB needed to be "paired" with the car again, which sounds like what happened. Glad it's ok now, let us know how you make out.
I have a 2022 RX350 with 30k miles. I got in the car one day and was prompted by a message on the dash to touch the fob to the start button which I did. So I am guessing I was prompted to pair the fob.
Old 08-08-24, 09:23 AM
15RX98422
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

re: my app always shows Key Fob low, even after I replaced both batteries with Energizer ones. If I was to pull a battery out of 1 Fob and leave it out for a few hours, will it mess up the pairing with the car?
Old 08-08-24, 10:52 AM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

A suggestion, if your physical/manual key refuses to unlock the door, it may be in need of lubricant. My key refused to work for me or the AAA roadside tech, later I doused the lock opening with lubricant and it works fine now. The mechanical key operated feature is not connected to the battery and does not require battery power to operate the driver's door. It is purely mechanical. Please correct me if I'm not correct.