RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Front brake discs are too hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 03:16 PM
NikolasSumrak
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front brake discs are too hot

Hi there!

I have 2022 F Sport, and after 50k miles I started filling vibration during braking. Dealer found that front discs are bad and need to be replaced. I ordered new OEM discs and replaced them by myself. I also changed brake pads.

After that I noticed that discs are too hot after driving on highway (it does "pshhhhhh" when I apply water on disc). I changed pads back to old ones (had a guess that new ones doesn't fit or something) but it is still an issue.

Planning to order Brake calipers repair kit and do some work there, but not sure if it will help.

Any ideas on that?
Old 05-20-24, 03:43 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 498 Likes on 376 Posts

Well, discs do get hot after driving for a while.
Old 05-20-24, 03:50 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't understand the problem? Why are you putting water on the discs? Are they glowing red after you stopped?
The following 2 users liked this post by LatinLS430:
coolbrazz (05-22-24), PhxBill (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 04:00 PM
NikolasSumrak
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LatinLS430
I don't understand the problem? Why are you putting water on the discs? Are they glowing red after you stopped?
I usually did that for old cars: when you spit on brake rotor and it is hissing like water on frying pan = it means that rotor is overheated, and brakes need to be repaired.

For me it happens after regular trip, I'm not driving like Formula 1 pilot, so I think that this temperature of brake rotor is high. But if anyone else has the same - maybe this is normal temperature, that's why I'm asking here.
Old 05-20-24, 04:15 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by NikolasSumrak
I usually did that for old cars: when you spit on brake rotor and it is hissing like water on frying pan = it means that rotor is overheated, and brakes need to be repaired.

For me it happens after regular trip, I'm not driving like Formula 1 pilot, so I think that this temperature of brake rotor is high. But if anyone else has the same - maybe this is normal temperature, that's why I'm asking here.
I'm not familiar with the brakes on the F Sport for the RX, but I'm pretty sure you are good and don't need to worry about them getting too hot. You got OEM replacements so that's a good thing.
The following users liked this post:
PhxBill (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 07:52 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

It's normal for your rotors to hiss if you splash water on it. It'll evaporate immediately.

Now if it's like burning red in color, then you have a problem..
The following 3 users liked this post by IntrinoX:
coolbrazz (05-22-24), LatinLS430 (05-21-24), ravenuer (05-21-24)
Old 05-20-24, 07:57 PM
Volley
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Has you gas mileage dropped significantly? If not, I think you are good to go.
Old 05-21-24, 12:32 AM
john2101
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow wow wow, hold it there.

The brakes do get hot when they are applied, i.e. the brake pads are forced to stop the rotating rotor. Any brake can be overheated. If you are going down a mountain or stopping from high speed often, like in a race, it's normal for them to get hot or even overhearted.

Regular driving on the highway should keep the rotors at ambient temperature, no friction should be applied while driving. If they are hot, chances are, your calipers bind, or you didn't install the springs on the pads correctly... I assume there is no bearing noise, that could also cause the hub and disk to get hot.
Old 05-21-24, 01:17 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 204 Posts

If you replaced the pads and rotors with OEM replacements then they should not be any hotter than before. You shouldn't be hitting them with water while they are got unless you would like to warp them? It's certainly possible your caliper slides pins need to be greased. This is something that you can count on the dealership doing as part of every brake job and is part of why they charge a lot for a job that seems like anyone could do themselves. If the caliper isn't able to slide freely then the brake pads could be sticking and dragging on the rotor at all times and that would cause it to get hot, and could be what warped your last set of rotors.
The following 3 users liked this post by dwoods801:
coolbrazz (05-22-24), PhxBill (05-21-24), ravenuer (05-21-24)
Old 05-21-24, 06:08 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts

Hi there!

I have 2022 F Sport, and after 50k miles I started filling vibration during braking. Dealer found that front discs are bad and need to be replaced. I ordered new OEM discs and replaced them by myself. I also changed brake pads.

After that I noticed that discs are too hot after driving on highway (it does "pshhhhhh" when I apply water on disc). I changed pads back to old ones (had a guess that new ones doesn't fit or something) but it is still an issue.

Planning to order Brake calipers repair kit and do some work there, but not sure if it will help.

Any ideas on that?
Adding water to hot discs will warp them!!!
Old 05-21-24, 08:09 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 583 Likes on 410 Posts

If you serviced your caliber pins and lubed them as well as cleaned at sliding surfaces and lubed them, in addition to new parts you should be good.

Normal for brakes to be hot after driving.

Not a good idea to splash them with water though. It will warp the rotors.
Old 05-21-24, 08:19 AM
Pierregirard
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If your brake lines are old or damaged, they might be getting constricted and causing pressure to build up in the brake system. This can stop the calipers from releasing properly. I’d think about replacing the brake lines if they look worn out or damaged.
Old 05-21-24, 04:41 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi there!

Any ideas on that?
When braking, you are converting all of your car's kinetic energy into heat. So, some of the gasoline you are burning is ultimately heating your discs.