RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Used RX 350, can I please have help with the year?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-24, 08:22 AM
Aani
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used RX 350, can I please have help with the year?

Hi, I have been looking for a new car for years. Ive been driving my grandmas 2003 limited le Sabre. While the car is super old, It’s spoiled me and very few new models in my search even came close to the cushy ride, stereo, power, and luxury of my Buick. 🤣

I have narrowed my search to an RX. I am currently considering three different years- a 2010 (100k for $12k) - 2015 (88k for $20k ) and 2018 (87k for $28). All estimates and I haven’t yet picked THE car- just sharing the rough options.

I plan to drive the car for 10 years, so i want something I enjoy. I also am coming from a 2003 and all of these will be an upgrade. I do appreciate a good stereo and would love one with the mark levison upgrade. Not sure if the newer models are worth paying 2 x the price …?? I’ve also test driven the newer models and really like them (I haven’t been in a 2010 yet).

may I know your thoughts on which one you’d recommend? or any other thoughts on purchasing an RX 350?

My ideal budget is obviously lower, but after driving a 20 year old car for 6 years, I feel desire to treat myself and see it as an investment.

Last edited by Aani; 06-25-24 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-25-24, 01:06 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

Wow, this is a very open-ended inquiry and I cannot offer anything but an equally vague opinion.

First, as you already indicated, you are really pining for a luxurious ride like your old Le Sabre. Are you really sure a Crossover style SUV like the RX fits that bill. The ride is definitely going to be harsher and there is less padding in the seats. It simply isn’t designed to be that “luxo barge”

Secondly, I wouldn’t personally be looking at a 14 year old 100k luxury vehicle and plan on driving it for ten years (the 2010 model of course). I hope it is up to the task but that will be asking a lot and repairs on cars like this may prove very expensive, due both to the wear and tear it already has as much as the cost of repairing a Lexus. At 14 years, you could also start to see repair parts become harder to come by. Make sure you find a good independent mechanic as the dealer repairs could get especially costly.

I would seriously try to work the price down on the newer models. The 2015 is the last model year of the third Gen, so it could theoretically be the most debugged. The 2018 is in the middle of the 4th Gen. While I have owned both Gen models, I prefer the ride in the 4th Gen. plus, I believe the 2018 model year is the first year the uses LTE for its communication, so if you wish to use the Enform services for things like remote start, it may still be an available option (hopefully other readers will correct me if I have the wrong year).

Honestly, I would want to see these vehicles to see what kind of shape they are in to make any serious evaluation. Nothing beats the old Mark 1, Mod 3 eyeballs on this sort of decision. I would need to see how each of them are optioned and identify their trim level (luxury versus premium versus F-Sport). I would also like to see service history and carfax reports. You cannot necessarily read a lot into those reports so take them with a grain of salt, but a clean and updated report is better than no report when you don’t have any other information to go on.

Those thoughts/opinions are about all I can offer. If money were no object AND they were in equal condition and similarly optioned, I think I would probably go for the later model year as it will probably give you the longest service life. Unfortunately, that’s a lot of “ifs” but it’s the best I can do with the limited details. Good luck with your decision.
The following users liked this post:
Aani (06-26-24)
Old 06-25-24, 03:02 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Check the Carfax reports and check the car's history, I usually go for:
  • One owner
  • No accidents
  • Clean title
  • Under 45k miles on the odometer
When you see the car in person, give it test drive, inspect the car's physical condition and check for any leaks under the car or warning lights on the dash.
Aani (06-26-24)
Old 06-25-24, 06:16 PM
15RX98422
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

When I bought my used 2015 RX 350F, I bought it as the 2016 would have cost me $10-15k +. But I alway liked the 2016+ body and styling more. Last year, I finally traded my 2015 for my current 2022. So, my vote goes to 2018. Then the 2010, which is a better $$$$ deal then the 2015.
Aani (06-26-24)
Old 06-26-24, 04:28 AM
Oldsig
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've owned a 2000, 2010, 2015 and a 2022. Our son has the '15 now and the '22 is mine. Each newer model had improvements over the older model. Personally I would get the '15 or '18 especially since you plan on keeping it for 10 years.
The following 3 users liked this post by Oldsig:
Aani (06-26-24), autotech13 (06-26-24), Clutchless (06-27-24)
Old 06-26-24, 07:12 AM
Aani
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
Wow, this is a very open-ended inquiry and I cannot offer anything but an equally vague opinion.

First, as you already indicated, you are really pining for a luxurious ride like your old Le Sabre. Are you really sure a Crossover style SUV like the RX fits that bill. The ride is definitely going to be harsher and there is less padding in the seats. It simply isn’t designed to be that “luxo barge”

Secondly, I wouldn’t personally be looking at a 14 year old 100k luxury vehicle and plan on driving it for ten years (the 2010 model of course). I hope it is up to the task but that will be asking a lot and repairs on cars like this may prove very expensive, due both to the wear and tear it already has as much as the cost of repairing a Lexus. At 14 years, you could also start to see repair parts become harder to come by. Make sure you find a good independent mechanic as the dealer repairs could get especially costly.

I would seriously try to work the price down on the newer models. The 2015 is the last model year of the third Gen, so it could theoretically be the most debugged. The 2018 is in the middle of the 4th Gen. While I have owned both Gen models, I prefer the ride in the 4th Gen. plus, I believe the 2018 model year is the first year the uses LTE for its communication, so if you wish to use the Enform services for things like remote start, it may still be an available option (hopefully other readers will correct me if I have the wrong year).

Honestly, I would want to see these vehicles to see what kind of shape they are in to make any serious evaluation. Nothing beats the old Mark 1, Mod 3 eyeballs on this sort of decision. I would need to see how each of them are optioned and identify their trim level (luxury versus premium versus F-Sport). I would also like to see service history and carfax reports. You cannot necessarily read a lot into those reports so take them with a grain of salt, but a clean and updated report is better than no report when you don’t have any other information to go on.

Those thoughts/opinions are about all I can offer. If money were no object AND they were in equal condition and similarly optioned, I think I would probably go for the later model year as it will probably give you the longest service life. Unfortunately, that’s a lot of “ifs” but it’s the best I can do with the limited details. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you for your feedback.

I prefer a sedan, but due to the snow where I live, I need more clearance, which is why I chose the RX. I also want towing capacity. In my experience, the RX drives much better than a CRV, RAV4 or a truck. So given my needs, and many many test drives, I feel confident in the RX.

“I would seriously try to work the price down on the newer models.”
thank you. I am feeling shock that for the same price pre covid- I would be looking at a car with 30k instead of 80k.

I don’t care for the communication options. I do care for the ride and hear that the 4th gen is better. I had enjoyed the test drive of the 18 the best.

the cars I listed are ones I am considering. Since posting, one was already sold… so I am still in the phase of narrowing it down. From feedback, I am leaning towards the 2018. And now considering whether to get a L certified with warranty or buy from 3rd party.

May I know if you have a preference for a trim model?

Last edited by Aani; 06-26-24 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-26-24, 12:47 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Aani
Thank you for your feedback.

I prefer a sedan, but due to the snow where I live, I need more clearance, which is why I chose the RX. I also want towing capacity. In my experience, the RX drives much better than a CRV, RAV4 or a truck. So given my needs, and many many test drives, I feel confident in the RX.

“I would seriously try to work the price down on the newer models.”
thank you. I am feeling shock that for the same price pre covid- I would be looking at a car with 30k instead of 80k.

I don’t care for the communication options. I do care for the ride and hear that the 4th gen is better. I had enjoyed the test drive of the 18 the best.

the cars I listed are ones I am considering. Since posting, one was already sold… so I am still in the phase of narrowing it down. From feedback, I am leaning towards the 2018. And now considering whether to get a L certified with warranty or buy from 3rd party.

May I know if you have a preference for a trim model?
That question is also pretty subjective and the contents/options of the various trim packages evolve from year to year. I have sort of settled on the base+premium as that offers everything I really need and results in a nice vehicle. Some base models also came with the smaller wheels, 18” I believe. This may result in that cushier ride you seek. In my opinion, I just find the larger rims more cosmetically appealing.

The Luxury models include larger rims, but also typically add options like Mark Levinson audio, triple beam headlights and on the fourth gen models it typically includes panoramic roof. I have no experience with Mark Levinson but find the standard stereo works just fine for me, and I never open the sun shade so the panoramic roof doesn’t interest me - and some owners have found it to be a bit problematic. Depending on model year, the luxury trim will also include upgraded seating materials from the standard seats. Honestly, the main option I would be interested in is the triple beam headlights, but the extra cost adds quite a bit to the price so I can take a pass.
Old 06-26-24, 02:09 PM
lakelake
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I have been looking for a new car for years. Ive been driving my grandmas 2003 limited le Sabre. While the car is super old, It’s spoiled me and very few new models in my search even came close to the cushy ride, stereo, power, and luxury of my Buick. 🤣

I have narrowed my search to an RX. I am currently considering three different years- a 2010 (100k for $12k) - 2015 (88k for $20k ) and 2018 (87k for $28). All estimates and I haven’t yet picked THE car- just sharing the rough options.

I plan to drive the car for 10 years, so i want something I enjoy. I also am coming from a 2003 and all of these will be an upgrade. I do appreciate a good stereo and would love one with the mark levison upgrade. Not sure if the newer models are worth paying 2 x the price …?? I’ve also test driven the newer models and really like them (I haven’t been in a 2010 yet).

may I know your thoughts on which one you’d recommend? or any other thoughts on purchasing an RX 350?

My ideal budget is obviously lower, but after driving a 20 year old car for 6 years, I feel desire to treat myself and see it as an investment.
I purchased a 2018 RX350L about year ago and love the luxurious ride. It is bigger than the 2007 BMW I was driving and it's definitely a cushier ride and NOT performance oriented. I paid $36k for vehicle with 83k miles and the insurance runs about $2k annually (good driving record, excellent credit, one driver) I do not feel safe driving on slippery roads (rain or ice), because it feels top-heavy and leans on curves. The Mark Levinson stereo, leather interior and 20" wheels are nice, but in hindsight, I wish I'd gone with the regular RX350.
Aani (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 04:43 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,209 Likes on 1,034 Posts

A couple of thoughts. First since you want to tow stuff, you need to be sure the vehicle you buy has the tow prep package. This does not mean it has a hitch. It means it has wiring to connect to a hitch when you install one, plus, the extra transmission and engine cooling and larger alternator to handle towing. Also the Mark Levinson stereo is a very rare option.

Second you can use the link below to join the Lexus Drivers Site for free, then you can enter the VIN of any used vehicle you are thinking about buying to see the build sheet that shows the options, and, more importantly for a used vehicle, to see the dealer service history. This is listed under the Vehicle Health Section link on the site. Note that the site can be cranky and may require a few attempts to get it to work properly. You would think a huge company like Toyota/Lexus could produce a better functioning web site!
https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus/account/create-account

​​​​​​
To see the service history at Lexus Drivers do the following:
On the page that lists the car whose VIN you entered there will be a line that states
Vehicle Health Report
Learn More - click this box
Then on the next page it will state
My Service
On the right side it will state Service History
View History - click this box to see the service history
The it will slowly take you to a page you need to scroll down to see the service history
Each entry will be a line, click on the + at the side to see more about each entry
Old 06-27-24, 04:50 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 418 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Note that the site can be cranky and may require a few attempts to get it to work properly. You would think a huge company like Toyota/Lexus could produce a better functioning web site!
https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus/account/create-account
Isn't that the truth. The thing feels like it was someone's Intro to Computer Science project from 1996. Anyway, thanks for posting the steps.
Old 06-27-24, 08:01 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

It would be interesting to know the math difference between buying a new (or newer) car, driving it 10-15 years, spending very little on repairs on a very reliable car (especially a new one with a full warranty), treating yourself to a great new car and then selling it after 10-15 years for a pretty good resale price. Then comparing that to buying a much older car with no warranty, dealing with repairs and the maintenance on older cars (tires, brakes, secondary fluid changes, etc), having older technology, and then selling it in 10-15 years for close to nothing.

It is possible that the difference is not all that great. One option is to just treat yourself to a great new car especially since you keep them a long time. For me this is the best option, buy new and run them into the ground. Good luck
Jsico (07-11-24)
Old 07-07-24, 04:08 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 324 Likes on 282 Posts

I am leaning towards the 2018. And now considering whether to get a L certified with warranty or buy from 3rd party.
I doubt you'll find a L-certified in a 2018. And third party warranties are universally worthless. The RX is pretty much the most reliable car on the planet so I'd roll the dice without the warranty if I were you.
The following 2 users liked this post by sktn77a:
Cropdustef (07-08-24), ravenuer (07-08-24)
Old 07-09-24, 10:35 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 509 Likes on 442 Posts

They're are all going to do the same & the mileage are pretty close vs the prices. I'd go for a gen3, then figure out the color, option packages, Then mileage vs cost.... Open your search raduis up as well. Keep up w/ the maintence & it'll go along ways after all its a Toyota product......
ravenuer (07-09-24)