RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 07:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
Thing is these small 3rd row SUV\CUV's seem useless if you want to bring the grand parents but also have kids so small that you need a stroller or double stroller. If you need to take a bag or two, stroller, all the stuff you need to keep babies alive and happy, a RX with 3 rows won't get it done.
You can't drive everybody on a trip, but you can go out to dinner...or to the mall, or to the zoo...

We have a big double stroller, and it would fit behind the third row in a QX60 no problem, along with a couple bags.

You're ignoring the fact that these vehicles sell very well. Lexus doesn't have to guess whether or not it would sell...basically all their competitors offer such a vehicle and they sell well.
Old 03-23-15, 10:44 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
So you think they will replace the GX with the TX? Why not just make the GX a longer crossover with 3rows..
I believe the reason they don't is because the truck shares the platform with the 4Runner and in order to do that, Toyota/Lexus will have to put more money into developing the platform to make a little larger GX. Unless they spread the development cost to the 4Runner and then offer an extended 4Runner, it could work but people buying the 4Runner doesn't seem like the crowd that's hauling family around like the people that are buying an RX or Mercedes GL or soon to be X7 or Suburban/Escalalde ESV. These are people haulers whereas the 4Runner is truly an offroader and is probably one of the highest percentage of owners that actually take their SUV's off road. I'd like to see the RX grow in size a little more. Maybe kind of like the X5 with two smaller seats for 7 people as an option. This allows it some versatility but also keeping the size a little more on the manageable side. I then like to see the GX completely fall off from the 4Runner platform and turn into something like the Mercedes GL and seat 7 or 8. I'd prefer this to be a unibody platform instead of the body-on-frame. Leave the LX the same because it's truly an offroader with the luxury side and many markets outside of the US still buy the Landcruiser and take it off road.

My roadmap...
-2nd gen NX moves up in size just a smidge to fall between the current RX and current NX.
-4th gen RX moves up in size to about the size of an X5 and offers 3rd row seating as an option. Most likely a 7 seater. Not super roomy but mainly for the occasional use or for young kids. Sticks with the v-6 and v-6 hybrids.
-Next gen GX moves onto it's own platform and competes with the Mercedes GL in size and looks. Keep is masculine looking and maybe offer this as a more usable 7 seater (since my purposed RX will be on the small side of a 7 seater) and keep using the v-8.
-rumored TX could be more of a sporty and masculine looking crossover suv like the X5 and a variant would take advantage of the F treatment to eventually offer a TX F. Use a new v-6 with some combination of single turbo, twin turbo, and electric turbo/s.

...and while I'm at it, bring back the Supra and price it about 60k fully optioned. Bring back the MR2 as well and price that at about 40k fully optioned and you've got some winners. Leverage your partnership with BMW and bring in the carbon fiber technology into your cars. You can win the performance race by either putting in larger power plants or by making the cars lighter. Going with the latter has many more benefits that just simply sticking in a larger and larger engine to move a heavier and heavier car.
Old 03-23-15, 11:55 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is where upcoming TX will fall in... longer RX with 3 rows... question is just when will it come out... 12 months? 18 months? Shouldnt be much longer than that.
TX? To me it is still a pipe dream with nothing substantial to show yet from Lexus. Even fast tracked, a new category of vehicle starting from a workable concept thru marketing launch to actual consumer products is a long drawn out affair, much longer than 12 months, if RC and NX examples are of any significance.

Are you saying NX, RX, TX and GX will all be part of the Lexus SUV lineup simultaneously? I see this direction clearly as a path to decimate the brand's most successful model (the RX) or reducing potential for NX and TX on either side. Time will tell.

Last edited by LoveCT; 03-24-15 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 03:27 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bam
...the crowd that's hauling family around like the people that are buying an RX or Mercedes GL or soon to be X7 or Suburban/Escalalde ESV.
The X7 will not be just a family hauler. It will be a luxury SUV unlike all others mentioned with a high base price. The next gen GL (called GLS) will also no more just be a larger ML (now called GLE).
Old 03-24-15, 05:24 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by bam
My roadmap...
-2nd gen NX moves up in size just a smidge to fall between the current RX and current NX.
-4th gen RX moves up in size to about the size of an X5 and offers 3rd row seating as an option. Most likely a 7 seater. Not super roomy but mainly for the occasional use or for young kids. Sticks with the v-6 and v-6 hybrids.
-Next gen GX moves onto it's own platform and competes with the Mercedes GL in size and looks. Keep is masculine looking and maybe offer this as a more usable 7 seater (since my purposed RX will be on the small side of a 7 seater) and keep using the v-8.
-rumored TX could be more of a sporty and masculine looking crossover suv like the X5 and a variant would take advantage of the F treatment to eventually offer a TX F. Use a new v-6 with some combination of single turbo, twin turbo, and electric turbo/s.
Can't say about tomorrow. But today, Lexus doesn't have a X1, Q3, GLA equivalent. Or in other words a crossover alternative for CT200h. On the other side no 3 row crossover either.

The design cues for RX is pointing to BMW X6. If there is indeed a 3rd row down the road, sadly this RX design will be relegated to a sideshow from a mainstream offering. The better option would have been bringing in a third row now as an RX, and offering the latest X6 style RX later, and letting the NX breathe for a while in the process.

Philisophical debates aside, there is a considerable demand for a third row crossover now. Sadly no offering from Lexus , while it overcrowds the 5 seats in quick succession.

Last edited by LoveCT; 03-24-15 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 05:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

singles and DINKs love 5 seat crossovers. young families love 7 seat crossovers. if kids are very small though, it's a pain if you have to move car seats to 3rd row (if even possible). so the third row in most is pretty much a stop gap for 5-10 year olds.
Old 03-24-15, 05:54 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
singles and DINKs love 5 seat crossovers. young families love 7 seat crossovers. if kids are very small though, it's a pain if you have to move car seats to 3rd row (if even possible). so the third row in most is pretty much a stop gap for 5-10 year olds.
Are you saying the third row crossovers are a failure? Cuz, they are not. Actually, quite the opposite. We have found three row crossovers to be the best suited for our use, for the next ten years, and the family is not inclined to go to a truck based GX's. Ten years for a family of four is quite a market, I think.

Last edited by LoveCT; 03-24-15 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 06:17 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LoveCT
The QX60 and Enclave are in my shortlist. I think the Buick will be reliable but like the Infiniti's setup better. The early reliability reviews of the QX wasn't really stellar, perhaps because of the CVT judder issue, but they seem to have worked oit the kinks. The QX60 doesn't have LED daytime running lights though Before putting my cash though, I want to check the latest Q7. The hybrid diesel is quite interesting on paper at least.
This discussion of a 3 row crossover is missing the elephant in the room: Acura's MDX. If Lexus doesn't offer a 3 row crossover, the MDX would be my pick.
Old 03-24-15, 06:33 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by gyrase321
This discussion of a 3 row crossover is missing the elephant in the room: Acura's MDX. If Lexus doesn't offer a 3 row crossover, the MDX would be my pick.
Yes MDX is an excellent alternative. Do check the QX60 as well, if you haven't already. More room and better layout in my opinion, although performance is a bit lesser aggressive than the MDX.

Last edited by LoveCT; 03-24-15 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Most of us here are probably aware of the MDX and its offerings....I don't think that alone is a real issue. The question is if those in this thread who are shopping for (or interested in), a 3-row crossover actually like the MDX enough to seriously consider it....only they can answer that. Like you, I don't see any major problems with it, especially from a build-quality standpoint, but that doesn't mean it's the car for everyone. For one thing, its noise-level (though not loud per se) has usually not been up to Lexus standards....a problem in the past with with many Honda-designed vehicles, except perhaps for the Acura RL and RLX flagships.
Old 03-24-15, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LoveCT
Are you saying the third row crossovers are a failure?
no, did not intend that at all. it's a huge market.

Cuz, they are not. Actually, quite the opposite. We have found three row crossovers to be the best suited for our use, for the next ten years, and the family is not inclined to go to a truck based GX's. Ten years for a family of four is quite a market, I think.
agreed!
Old 03-24-15, 07:00 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You can't drive everybody on a trip, but you can go out to dinner...or to the mall, or to the zoo...

We have a big double stroller, and it would fit behind the third row in a QX60 no problem, along with a couple bags.

You're ignoring the fact that these vehicles sell very well. Lexus doesn't have to guess whether or not it would sell...basically all their competitors offer such a vehicle and they sell well.
I am not ignoring anything, I know they sell well. I listen to parents ***** all the time how the 3rd row is useless but they still buy them with the false hopes it will be useful

If your kids are out of car seats it is easier, but I guess I don't want to settle if I am spending 40-50-60k, I want it all
Old 03-24-15, 07:02 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
The X7 will not be just a family hauler. It will be a luxury SUV unlike all others mentioned with a high base price. The next gen GL (called GLS) will also no more just be a larger ML (now called GLE).
Not much is currently known about the X7 but it is known that it will be higher in the luxury category. I believe it will move into Range Rover territory.

As far as GL/GLS, it's not a larger ML even in it's current generation. It's a completely different car on a completely different platform where the ML doesn't even offer a 3rd row, the GL/GLS is set up for the family hauler on a more luxurious scale.
Old 03-24-15, 07:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the dodge durango platform was derived from the GL platform when chrysler was part of mercedes. a durango citadel (top trim) is a NICE vehicle with tons of room.
Old 03-24-15, 08:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
Not much is currently known about the X7 but it is known that it will be higher in the luxury category. I believe it will move into Range Rover territory.

As far as GL/GLS, it's not a larger ML even in it's current generation. It's a completely different car on a completely different platform where the ML doesn't even offer a 3rd row, the GL/GLS is set up for the family hauler on a more luxurious scale.
The GL is definitely a larger ML. They're on the exact same platform just like the last generation. It's no coincidence they share the same powertrains (although availability differs depending on the market) and have the same interior dash design. The next-generation GLS will indeed distance itself from the ML by another degree and become a true SUV S-class.

The current GL does have a some more upscale materials than the ML, but truly its not that much of a differentiation.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)