RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Wait for the 2016 Lexus RX or 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by tdougherty
JGC's are that bad on Trade In's?
Not specifically, but any car if you buy it and then 6 months or so or a year or so you trade it in you're going to get killed.

Bear in mind that the new RX isn't going to be out until like, October maybe. Can you wait that long to purchase? Do you want to?
Old 04-01-15, 07:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Not specifically, but any car if you buy it and then 6 months or so or a year or so you trade it in you're going to get killed.

Bear in mind that the new RX isn't going to be out until like, October maybe. Can you wait that long to purchase? Do you want to?
probably more like december
Old 04-01-15, 10:06 PM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
probably more like december
Yeah you're right, it will be more like December or January. I think my mind is made up. As much as I love the interior, parts of the exterior, and the reliability/performance of the Lexus hybrid 16' RX - I WANT the Jeep. Amazing features, a great design that should effortlessly last years, and the simple fact that I just really like the rig.

Thanks everyone for you advice and guidance.
Old 04-02-15, 05:51 AM
kamauxx
Rookie

I had a 2014 GC Limited Trail Rated last year. This thing was beautiful...leather, wood, heated steering wheel, sunroof, excellent 4 wheeling with the Trail Rated package. But there were serious issues.

The area where the speedometer and other pertinent info is located (behind the steering wheel) and the infotainment screen would randomly completely shut down. Imagine you're driving down the road at 9 o'clock at night and every single piece of information your car provides you shuts completely down! (Speedo, fuel, mileage, temp, radio, climate control, EVERYTHING!) Only way to fix It? Pull off the road, turn the vehicle off, open the door, close the door, restart the car. I brought it into the dealership multiple times for this issue and they could never do anything about it because they couldn't replicate the issue-it truly was random.

During the time I owned it (<6 months) I brought it in for 3 recalls. Also had 2 firmware updates done. Eventually I got tired of all of the safety issues and traded it in, losing close to 7k dollars. I still get recall notices in the mail every couple of days. I will not be buying another Chrysler vehicle in the foreseeable future (no matter how nice they seem).
Old 04-02-15, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah you're right, it will be more like December or January. I think my mind is made up. As much as I love the interior, parts of the exterior, and the reliability/performance of the Lexus hybrid 16' RX - I WANT the Jeep. Amazing features, a great design that should effortlessly last years, and the simple fact that I just really like the rig.
Then you should get the Jeep. If you plan to keep it for a long time, I would get the MaxCare warranty.

There is definitely something about the Grand Cherokee. Its very rare that I see a vehicle that I just "want" and I definitely feel that way about the Jeep.

What color are you thinking?

Other things to remember about the RX that came into my mind as I was looking through the pictures last night:

However much I may like it:

1. It is a FWD vehicle. Now that I'm used to owning only RWD based vehicles I would have a hard time going back to a cab-forward FWD layout. I like the feel of a RWD vehicle more, I like the proportions of a RWD vehicle more (engine behind the front wheels, small front overhang, longer hood, etc).

2. It won't be as robust as a JGC. The JGC is a very solid, robust, high towing, off-road capable vehicle. I don't do much off roading, but I do some in WV, rutted trails and such. I never have any doubts about the JGC getting me anywhere, Quadra Lift makes ground clearance concerns a non issue. Many AWD modes, etc.

3. At its core, it is a car based vehicle...essentially its a tall station wagon. The Grand Cherokee is unibody but its built to be an SUV.

If you need/want an SUV for what makes an SUV great, the Jeep is a great example of that. The RX is a great example of a car that has many of the positives of an SUV without many of the drawbacks, which is also a very attractive package and might be a plus for me in everyday driving.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-02-15 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 09:29 AM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kamauxx
I had a 2014 GC Limited Trail Rated last year. This thing was beautiful...leather, wood, heated steering wheel, sunroof, excellent 4 wheeling with the Trail Rated package. But there were serious issues.

The area where the speedometer and other pertinent info is located (behind the steering wheel) and the infotainment screen would randomly completely shut down. Imagine you're driving down the road at 9 o'clock at night and every single piece of information your car provides you shuts completely down! (Speedo, fuel, mileage, temp, radio, climate control, EVERYTHING!) Only way to fix It? Pull off the road, turn the vehicle off, open the door, close the door, restart the car. I brought it into the dealership multiple times for this issue and they could never do anything about it because they couldn't replicate the issue-it truly was random.

During the time I owned it (<6 months) I brought it in for 3 recalls. Also had 2 firmware updates done. Eventually I got tired of all of the safety issues and traded it in, losing close to 7k dollars. I still get recall notices in the mail every couple of days. I will not be buying another Chrysler vehicle in the foreseeable future (no matter how nice they seem).
Was yours an early 2014 model? I've read that the early builds in that MY had electrical issues that went to the head unit all through the tranny.
Old 04-02-15, 09:36 AM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Then you should get the Jeep. If you plan to keep it for a long time, I would get the MaxCare warranty.

There is definitely something about the Grand Cherokee. Its very rare that I see a vehicle that I just "want" and I definitely feel that way about the Jeep.

What color are you thinking?

Other things to remember about the RX that came into my mind as I was looking through the pictures last night:

However much I may like it:

1. It is a FWD vehicle. Now that I'm used to owning only RWD based vehicles I would have a hard time going back to a cab-forward FWD layout. I like the feel of a RWD vehicle more, I like the proportions of a RWD vehicle more (engine behind the front wheels, small front overhang, longer hood, etc).

2. It won't be as robust as a JGC. The JGC is a very solid, robust, high towing, off-road capable vehicle. I don't do much off roading, but I do some in WV, rutted trails and such. I never have any doubts about the JGC getting me anywhere, Quadra Lift makes ground clearance concerns a non issue. Many AWD modes, etc.

3. At its core, it is a car based vehicle...essentially its a tall station wagon. The Grand Cherokee is unibody but its built to be an SUV.

If you need/want an SUV for what makes an SUV great, the Jeep is a great example of that. The RX is a great example of a car that has many of the positives of an SUV without many of the drawbacks, which is also a very attractive package and might be a plus for me in everyday driving.
I'm thinking about getting the 15' summit 4x4 black/black V6, but recently I've warmed up to the dark grey as well as the white- all with black interior. I will also be paying extra for the interior/exterior treatment that protects from spills and pitch, bird poo, you name it. Any experience with that? Sounds like a pretty heavy duty process that lost a long time. The other two add on's will be a 3M clear bra and a maxcare warranty.

Recently, I've gone back and fourth over the V6 or V8 debate. I don't tow much, but I keep hearing people make the statement that MPG is similar in both engines due to cylinders deactivating on the highway in the V8. Right now, i'm leaning towards the V6

Great breakdown SW13GS, your comments are spot on. If the RX was out now it might be a different story, but life is too short to keep living for the next model when there is something I already like greatly - even if it's a bit less reliable.
Old 04-02-15, 09:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm thinking about getting the 15' summit 4x4 black/black V6, but recently I've warmed up to the dark grey as well as the white- all with black interior.
Mine is Maximum Steel which I don't think you can get on the Summit. I love it, its a dark grey/blue steel kind of color:

My favorite color for the Summit is Granite:

I will also be paying extra for the interior/exterior treatment that protects from spills and pitch, bird poo, you name it. Any experience with that? Sounds like a pretty heavy duty process that lost a long time.
Save your money. These paint and interior treatments are just snake oil and pure profit for the dealer. have a professional detailer use a professional sealant or paint coating.

The other two add on's will be a 3M clear bra and a maxcare warranty.
I have a clear bra on the Lexus, but not on the Jeep. I found the Jeep has better paint, and with it sitting so high, I don't get chips. The Lexus chips like crazy.

Recently, I've gone back and fourth over the V6 or V8 debate. I don't tow much, but I keep hearing people make the statement that MPG is similar in both engines due to cylinders deactivating on the highway in the V8. Right now, i'm leaning towards the V6
I've had the V6 in both the 2011 and the 2014. Never wanted the V8, even with the old 5 speed in the 2011.
Old 04-02-15, 10:39 AM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Mine is Maximum Steel which I don't think you can get on the Summit. I love it, its a dark grey/blue steel kind of color:

My favorite color for the Summit is Granite:

Save your money. These paint and interior treatments are just snake oil and pure profit for the dealer. have a professional detailer use a professional sealant or paint coating.

I have a clear bra on the Lexus, but not on the Jeep. I found the Jeep has better paint, and with it sitting so high, I don't get chips. The Lexus chips like crazy.

I've had the V6 in both the 2011 and the 2014. Never wanted the V8, even with the old 5 speed in the 2011.
I'm really starting to like the Granite! Yeah, the glass coat is by Simoniz. Have researched it a bit and it certainly seems a bit odd. One dealer told me that they put on full body suites and that the treatment takes hours to perform. Have you heard of this brand before? Thanks for your comments.
Old 04-02-15, 10:43 AM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

I've also read good things about Optimum Opti-Coat Pro. Thoughts?
Old 04-02-15, 11:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, the glass coat is by Simoniz. Have researched it a bit and it certainly seems a bit odd. One dealer told me that they put on full body suites and that the treatment takes hours to perform. Have you heard of this brand before? Thanks for your comments.
They are totally full of it.

OptiCoat is a professional product. Having that applied by a professional detailer is what I would do if that sort of protection is what you're after. Really though, regular washing and periodic sealing/waxing is all you need.
Old 04-02-15, 11:20 AM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

They are totally full of it.

OptiCoat is a professional product. Having that applied by a professional detailer is what I would do if that sort of protection is what you're after. Really though, regular washing and periodic sealing/waxing is all you need.
Thanks! The major selling point for me is that it would protect against sap/bird poo eating through the clear-coat. That seems to be a big problem in Oregon.
Old 04-02-15, 11:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As long as you keep it clean and waxed thats not going to be an issue.

FYI I used to detail cars professionally and I still do as a hobbyist.
Old 04-02-15, 11:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks! The major selling point for me is that it would protect against sap/bird poo eating through the clear-coat. That seems to be a big problem in Oregon.
If you go with one of the coatings professionally applied (Opti Coat Pro, CQuartz etc,) be prepared to pay to pay upwards of $400-$500 depending on how much paint prep is needed. I've heard good reports about them. Personally, I do what SW13GS suggests, just washing my cars myself.
Old 04-02-15, 12:08 PM
kamauxx
Rookie

Was yours an early 2014 model? I've read that the early builds in that MY had electrical issues that went to the head unit all through the tranny.
I bought it in May of 13 so yes, I'd assume it was an early model.

Electrical system sucked! But it sure was fun and pretty. Mine was also Max Steel.

Quick Reply: Wait for the 2016 Lexus RX or 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit