RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Welcome to Club Lexus! 4RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19 | 12:44 PM
FireAgate
Driver School Candidate

Default Couldn't Wait for an Gen-4 RX Refresh or the Next Gen-5

Well, after living without my superb Gen-3 Truffle Mica 2010 RX450h for 18 months following an offer to sell that I couldn’t refuse, I finally got tired of waiting for the non-existent Gen-4 Mid-Cycle Refresh or for the plug-in hybrid version. So, I special-ordered a totally-loaded Autumn Shimmer with Noble Brown 2019 RX450h with the only option not chosen being the Pano Roof (preferred the standard Moon Roof).

Three comments: 1) Longo was super easy to deal with; 2) the new Canadian-built RX450h is, in fact, far superior to the most excellent Japanese-built Gen-3 2010 RX450h; 3) I am having a blast making it even better with a few accoutrements, e.g. a Halotron Fire Extinguisher, spare tire rim 5-liter Donut Emergency Fuel Tank, Calico Coco Mats, hard-mounted “Uber-Style” Dash Cam & Valentine-1 Radar Receiver and color-matched protective roof strips. Fun, fun, fun with a great vehicle that will be with the family for a long, long time.

Old 02-16-19 | 01:42 PM
CHuntMD
Driver School Candidate

Default 2019 rx 350

Hello, just picked up our first Lexus for the wife. Sight downgrade in HP as we got rid of a 370HP V8 Genesis but is was RWD and I was giving up my 4.7lv8 4Runner during ice/snow events here in the Wash DC metro area. Got most options except the 3-beam headlights and the lighted sill plates. Picked it up from Sheehy Lexus of Annapolis using USAA pricing.
CEH in MD
Old 02-16-19 | 04:58 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by FireAgate
Well, after living without my superb Gen-3 Truffle Mica 2010 RX450h for 18 months following an offer to sell that I couldn’t refuse, I finally got tired of waiting for the non-existent Gen-4 Mid-Cycle Refresh or for the plug-in hybrid version. So, I special-ordered a totally-loaded Autumn Shimmer with Noble Brown 2019 RX450h with the only option not chosen being the Pano Roof (preferred the standard Moon Roof).

Three comments: 1) Longo was super easy to deal with; 2) the new Canadian-built RX450h is, in fact, far superior to the most excellent Japanese-built Gen-3 2010 RX450h; 3) I am having a blast making it even better with a few accoutrements, e.g. a Halotron Fire Extinguisher, spare tire rim 5-liter Donut Emergency Fuel Tank, Calico Coco Mats, hard-mounted “Uber-Style” Dash Cam & Valentine-1 Radar Receiver and color-matched protective roof strips. Fun, fun, fun with a great vehicle that will be with the family for a long, long time.

Welcome! Was your luggage rack dealer installed?

What makes you say the Canadian made 450h is better than Japanese made? I’m asking because I’ve had lots of little problems that are build quality & not mechanical. The Lexus RX has slipped in the reliability ratings as well as Lexus as a whole. They are still good, but Hyundai is kicking their *** in quality.
Old 02-16-19 | 08:56 PM
FireAgate
Driver School Candidate

Default Autumn Shimmer Color-Matched Roof Protective Strips on Canadian-Built 2019 RX450h

Gadgetman1,

Well, I take your point. I guess I like the new RX450h so much that there was a bit of hyperbole. Instead of saying that the Canadian-assembled 2019 RX450h was "far superior" to my superb Japanese-built 2010 RX450h, I should have said "equal to or better." As is generally known, the RX450h engine, tranny & drive-train are still built in Japan and shipped to Ontario, Canada for assembly, so our Canadian amigos could carefully put it together; and I can say that I have been impressed. I have only had the new vehicle since December 6, 2018 and it has less than 2,000 mikes on it, but everything fits together beautifully, all fittings are tight, there are no rattles, no issues -- and no hints of anything amiss. It gets a real 28MPG (city) with normal driving.

As for your question, the roof cross bars were dealer-installed; but Yours, Truly did the tedious and exacting installation of the Autumn Shimmer color-matched roof protective strips. My previous two vehicles (a 1990 M-B 300TE 4MATIC and the 2010 AWD Lexus RX450h) both had the protective strips which were practical and eye-catching -- and snagged a lot of compliments.

With every good wish,

Fire Agate of New Mexico

Old 02-17-19 | 08:28 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Those roof strips are an excellent idea! Keep a close eye on your sunroof leaking into the microphone over the driver. Mine just started suddenly & it leaked a lot. The fix is replacing the entire sunroof panel with the Japanese made panel that seals better. I used to hear some wind noise up there prior to the leak & now it’s super quiet. I would also recommend you get no deductible on your glass replacement. If you get a rock chip within 2” of the edge of the windshield, it will crack at least halfway across & a new windshield for the RX is $1500+
Old 02-20-19 | 08:32 AM
Yarumari
Driver School Candidate

Picked up my 450hL Premier today. Looks like somewhere in ordering there was a snag as mine was delivered without panoramic roof. Now were are in process trying to figure out how to mitigate this. Probably going to take rebate plus something for price of roof, as it's not that critical.

But the Topaz Brown interior looks so good And sidesteps and front lip give some character to the car without going F-Sport

Last edited by Yarumari; 02-20-19 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-21-19 | 10:47 AM
FireAgate
Driver School Candidate

Gadgetman1,

Thanks for the cautionary note on possible moonroof leaks and will watch for this. So far (and on our 2013 GS450h, the previous 2010 RX450h, the 1993 M-B 300CE Coupe & the 1990 M-B 300TE 4MATIC Wagon) there were no roof leaks. Nonetheless, it could always happen due to a plugged roof drain or bad seal.

Also, thank you for appreciating the look of the Autumn Shimmer Color-matched protective strips under the roof bars. It is doubtful that this RXh will ever carry luggage or anything else on top, but the protective strips are there just in case -- and, of course, they look good and give the vehicle a unique character. If you are wondering where the strips came from, well, to give away what you may have suspected, they are Autumn Shimmer side protective moldings from a 2018 Autumn Shimmer Lexus ES sedan. The ES strips were originally just slightly convex to match the ES's sides, but with a little heat-gun treatment and after have been on a rack with a slight bend to them, the proper slight concaveness resulted and they fit perfectly. These strips and the steel spare tire emergency donut-tank are the two favorite modifications/additions du jour.

Fire Agate of New Mexico (formerly of Fort Worth)

View from front of Autumn Shimmer color-matched roof protective strips
Old 02-21-19 | 05:31 PM
Raysrx
Driver School Candidate

Default My First Post for my First Lexus

Hello all, my name is Ray and I have just joined your club. My vehicle is a 2017 RX350 AWD In Caviar with parchment leather and brown dash. It has the Executive Package with all options. Previously I drove Mercedes ML’s. I have had my RX for a week now and I have to say that I love it, even more than my Mercedes ( my last 3 SUV’s were Mercs). The ride is softer (reminds me of a Cadillac I owned a lifetime ago - LOL) the interior finish superior and the leather is even softer than the Mercedes. I am told and am hoping that these vehicles are minimal maintenance and don’t break down ( I drive 45000km annually) and am looking forward to many memorable experiences in my RX. I can also say that my experience at the Lexus dealership was exceptional (even my wife was impressed with my Sales Associate and his ethics). Score one for Lexus!
The following 2 users liked this post by Raysrx:
GSFRX350 (02-22-19), Trexus (02-28-19)
Old 02-21-19 | 06:25 PM
dnkyle
Driver School Candidate

Congratulation.
The following users liked this post:
Raysrx (02-22-19)
Old 02-24-19 | 08:02 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

On behalf of my wife, we picked up a like new and absolute mint condition fully opted out (minus rear entertainment package) 2017 RX 350 in the lovely Matador Red Mica with the Luxury package in Parchment leather and gray sapele wedgewood with aluminum trim. This beautiful beast only had 7,350 miles and worked out a phenomenal deal too. Here are a few photos I took from the dealer and will be posting more later but wanted to share this Matador.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 02-26-19 at 10:43 AM. Reason: grammar/ more photos
Trexus (04-10-19)
Old 02-24-19 | 08:31 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Nice!! Welcome!!
Old 04-08-19 | 07:52 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Spent the weekend testing/deciding on a new to us 4th gen RX. Purchased up a fair deal on an L Certified, new to us RX350 AWD in white. We're having the dealership go through some additional items and prep the car as best as they can before we physically bring it home. Pretty excited to join the Lexus family!
Old 04-08-19 | 11:20 AM
bzboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Saying Hi got a 2019 F sport

Saying Hi to the forum. New to Lexus and just picked up a 2019 RX F Sport. Caviar exterior (love the metal flecks) with black interior. Getting a ceramic coat on it this week. Loving the car. Lots of technology and comfort is incredible. Hope to contribute to the forum.

Mahalo.
elimmigran (04-08-19)
Old 04-08-19 | 12:41 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Congrats on the purchase! Went all out with the F sport trim, very nice!
Old 04-08-19 | 02:49 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bzboy
Saying Hi to the forum. New to Lexus and just picked up a 2019 RX F Sport. Caviar exterior (love the metal flecks) with black interior. Getting a ceramic coat on it this week. Loving the car. Lots of technology and comfort is incredible. Hope to contribute to the forum.

Mahalo.
Congrats!!!

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 4RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE