RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Welcome to Club Lexus! 4RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 10:08 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Picked up my new car last night

1. 2016 RX450h F Sport
2. 12.3" display Navigation + ML 15-speaker Sound System
3. Caviar Black and Black Interior
4. I got everything except rear seat entertainment system and rear power heated seats - sorry passengers!
5. F Sport! I wanted the Sapelle wood and 4-way lumbar on the luxury but AVS and the sport bumper were too important to me

I'm coming from a 2010 RX350 which will stay in the family.

Last edited by ericsan13; 04-29-16 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Details
Old 04-22-16, 10:19 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope my rx doesn't come with the bridgestone...
Old 04-22-16, 08:25 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I'll be attending a focus group tomorrow on Luxury SUV's in Los Angeles. I think the study is being sponsored by Mercedes since they were asking me a lot of questions specifically on the Mercedes GLC, mini-SUV. Getting paid $175 for 3 hours of my time on Saturday. Not too shabby.
Old 04-25-16, 06:28 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Picked up my new car last night

1. 2016 RX450h F Sport
2. 12.3" display Navigation + ML 15-speaker Sound System
3. Caviar Black and Black Interior
4. I got everything except rear seat entertainment system and rear power heated seats - sorry passengers!
5. F Sport! I wanted the Sapelle wood and 4-way lumbar on the luxury but AVS and the sport bumper were too important to me

Edit: Unfortunately I got Bridgestone Ecopia tires. Mine came from Canada. Also the dealer mentioned the holdup on the F Sports is due to a shortage of the 20" Sport rims.
Picked up mine Thursday - very similar to yours but no F-Sport (don't like the metal pedals, wish I had everything else). Only difference is mine has parchment interior. I also had them do the glasscoat - supposedly I don't have to wax it for 7 years and ANY stains to exterior or interior are covered. Mine also came with Bridgestone tires.

I'll also say that the Lane Keeping Assist takes some getting used to! At first I thought there was something wrong with the steering, like I was fighting it...then I figured out what it was,

I can verify what others have said about quiet and smoother ride - very nice.

Note: I actually picked mine up on Weds last week but as we were getting started with the delivery we discovered the AC was not working. So we stopped talking, they wheeled it back to the shop and gave me a loaner. They told me that "on rare occasions" the AC does not get fully charged at the factory. They opened a "campaign" on this issue to make sure no one else getting one from Canada has to suffer this oversight. Lucky me!
Old 04-25-16, 12:22 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Picked up mine Thursday - very similar to yours but no F-Sport (don't like the metal pedals, wish I had everything else). Only difference is mine has parchment interior. I also had them do the glasscoat - supposedly I don't have to wax it for 7 years and ANY stains to exterior or interior are covered

I can verify what others have said about quiet and smoother ride - very nice.
Which glasscoat did you get? I am getting opticoat pro plus done this coming Wednesday. It also has 7 year warranty. I'm considering tinting the pano sunroof as well but not sure if it's worth it.

I haven't noticed that it is any more quiet than my 2010 RX350 minus the engine noise, but the ride is definitely more stiff even on normal mode.
Old 04-26-16, 04:03 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Dealer will change to Michelin

Originally Posted by bwsteg
I hope my rx doesn't come with the bridgestone...
Ask the dealer to change with an RX that has them.

I refused to accept my RX 350 F Sport unless they changed the tires. They switched out the rim/tires with another RX.

This is a known complaint with Lexus.
Old 04-26-16, 04:09 PM
FastFord
Racer

Great to be here, picked up lots of great info already.

What a difference from a 2014 Rx

F Sport series 3 Grey/Black

Too many grannies for an old guy, but I'm learning. Wow is this thing quite!
Old 04-26-16, 06:30 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastFord
Ask the dealer to change with an RX that has them.

I refused to accept my RX 350 F Sport unless they changed the tires. They switched out the rim/tires with another RX.

This is a known complaint with Lexus.
What's the deal with the Bridgestones? My 350 came with them and they seem ok although I swear by Michelins on my Tacoma.
Is there a problem with them?
Old 04-27-16, 08:59 AM
FastFord
Racer

There is no problem with the Bridgestone. They meet the requirements for load/speed. I preferred the wet weather traction of the Michelin and I thought that's what the RX came with. I suppose with supply and demand Lexus had to have option two.

The Bridgestone and are both 660 wear (I think) approximately the same warranty. Bridgestone are 11/32nds and the Michelin 8.5 / 32nds. I drove both tires and they seem very similar. Michelins might have a slightly softer sidewall, but that could just be in my mind.

Both are quite, both are OEM tires, so take each with a grain of salt.

I run a winter tire package with Nokian Hakk 2 SUV 110R extra load, so I don't care how well they perform in the cold/snow.

Probably replace the Michelin Premier LTX for a summer performance oriented tire when the stocks ones wear out.
Old 04-28-16, 03:57 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ordered an RX450h and Just Joined ClubLexus!!!

Hello All! (Administrators, sorry if I’m doing this wrong…)

Finally decided to join ClubLexus now that I have ordered a 2016 Lexus RX 450h (4/8/2016) and the order was recognized by Lexus Corporate today (4/28/2016) with a build date sometime in July. So, I thought I’d post my story on how I picked the RX as my first post! (Heads up, this is long!)

Full disclosure, this car is for my parents. My job was to do the research, test the cars, pick the right car, negotiate the price and order the car.

Currently, we own four high mileage cars. I drive a 1998 Toyota Corolla (120,000 miles), my younger brother drives a 2008 Honda Accord (160,000 miles), my Mom drives a 1999 Land Cruiser (130,000 miles) and my Dad drives a 2007 Infiniti M35x (200,000 miles!). My younger brother just turned 16 so he got the Accord. With four drivers and four cars, things got annoying when one car had problems. Most recently, that included a broken windshield or a busted wheel.
So, our search for a new vehicle began with the requirements that it be a Hybrid with AWD. The vehicle would be Fully Loaded and be kept for many years, so purchasing and not leasing.

2016 LEXUS NX
Then, in 2013 at the Frankfurt Auto Show when the NX concept was unveiled and we all drooled (well, all the guys in the house. Mom didn’t care). It was perfect, being a compact SUV with a hybrid drive train. And best of all, AWD was a possibility. When the production NX was unveiled at the Beijing Motor Show, I could not be more excited. AWD, Hybrid, HUD, Bamboo Wood, Full-Speed Radar Cruise, PVM, Mark Levinson, LDA with LKA, AHB…the NX was perfect. Not to mention the Triple-Beam LED Headlights! I read all the global press releases, but I was left cold with the US press release and saw the associated pictures. It made no mention of HUD or Adaptive Variable Suspension. And the pictures had a beautiful F-Sport and ugly standard model with the bumper cut off. I didn’t think much of the bumper and assumed the NX would get a Sport appearance package similar to the 3rd Gen RX. But, the first nail in the NX coffin had been hammered.

In September of 2014, I began asking about pre-ordering and what options were available, but there was no indication of a nice bumper. In December, my family test drove a 2015 NX 200t and soon after, a 2015 NX 300h and we alright with the hybrid, despite it not feeling as luxurious as our Infiniti. It was the perfect size and had very comfortable seats in Standard and Luxury trim. The F SPORT as a little too aggressive for our tastes, even though it still looks amazing.

But then the disappointment came rushing in. Firstly, the US does not get the European bumper design because Lexus wants to classify the car as a light SUV (curse you EPA). To do so, Lexus cuts the front bumper to give the car the required 28 degree approach angle, despite the fact that the F SPORT is for some reason exempt from this rule. This not only makes the car looks awful, but also removes the Cornering Fog Lights. In addition, the US gets the Lower Spec. Wheels and not the attractive Five-Spoke Wheels. This was the Second and Third Nail.

Then, I get the news that Canada gets a Heads Up Display, but not the United States, but the HUD works in the US as forum members have mentioned. Fourth Nail.

Adding to the disappointment was the lack of Panoramic View Monitor (which the 2016 RAV4 has), and Power Folding Mirrors. What’s that? The Fifth and Sixth Nail.

Let’s also add 14-Speaker Mark Levinson Audio with ClariFi, Bamboo Wood Trim, Paddle Shifters on non-F SPORT, AVS with Sport + mode, and Headlamp Washers. 11 Nails so far.

But the final nail that sealed the NX’s faith was a poor choice on Lexus’s part. Lexus decided that LDA and LKA would be available on the Turbo NX 200t, but not the NX 300h. That was the end of that. But, when one door closes, another one opens (or so it goes).

This decision was made right before the 2015 New York Auto Show. And when the RX was show in all its glory, we made the decision to wait. It had everything we wanted from the NX and then some. Especially the Panoramic Moonroof and 12.3” Inch Navigaiton Screen. The bumper was not cut in half and the interior just looked amazing.

Of course, there a lot of time between the Auto Show and when the RX actually came out. So, naturally, I had to have a look at the competition.

2016 VOLVO XC90 T6 and T8 Plug-In
I absolutely loved the XC90. The interior was beautiful with the wood trim and Nappa Leather everywhere. Ride quality was isolating to say the least. It felt like driving on a cloud. The model I test drove had the air suspension and it was fantastic. The transmission was also a slick device, but it is the same Aisin 8-Speed in the RX350. And the user interface was slow, but ultra-intuitive. The seats were great. A little on the hard side, but great. I strongly recommend the car for anyone who needs a third row and will be LEASING their car. But, ultimately the car came up short on a few accounts. First was reliability. A JD Power rating of 2/5 was not acceptable. The HUD and LED Instrument Cluster provided less information than the RX. And the price was really high for even a fully loaded T6 model. Sure, I would love a T8 but that was out of the question even with a $4k tax incentive.

2016 BMW X5 xDRIVE 40e
This was a serious contender and was put as second to the RX for the simple reason of reliability. Heck, I even test drove it three (yes, 3) times. Overall, I felt there was a better balance of driving dynamics and comfort than the RX. The rear air suspension was very nice, but did feel a little jittery on broken pavement. The center of gravity felt higher than the RX, but the RX has more body roll (even in F SPORT trim). As for price, the model I was looking at had an MSRP of $78,000 when comparably equipped to the RX. That may look like a lot of money, but the price was much closer to the RX. First off, the car is a Plug-In hybrid, so there is a $4000 tax credit. Secondly, I was offered 4000 off MSRP without any negotiation and most BMW buyers were getting more like $5k to $6k off the car! But, sub-20 miles of EV range and 23.5 mpg (observed) in hybrid mode made it much less attractive.

2016 LINCOLN MKX
This was just for the sake of comparing the RX. The Lincoln certainly felt the most like the RX with respect to size, but the RX felt a little more impressive. Build quality was terrible in the MKX and nothing lined up correctly. Worst of all, the car felt bigger than it was and drove like a pig. I felt the same way driving the latest Nissan Murano. The seats were amazing, but with no Hybrid option, this was never really in the short list.

2017 AUDI Q7 and PORSCHE MACAN
Again, no hybrid so I didn’t give them much thought. I did sit inside both and found the interiors to be built very well. But as is the case with most Audi’s and Porsche’s, the surfaces were not plush and were very hard. This was something I could not get past.
--------
(UPDATE: 10/1/2016)

2016 CADILLAC XT5
First thing I liked was the available features. The 360 camera, rear camera mirror (not on RX), HUD, and wireless phone charger (not on RX) are all very nice touches. The ride quality was also a plus and the car felt stable. It was also very quiet inside like every car in that class. The back seats were very roomy and the throttle response was immediate, if not too aggressive.​ Perhaps most impressive was the materials choice. I found the materials in the car we looked at to be on par of the class, but looking at the Platinum model in Maple Sugar color on photos, there is high level of wood, leather and alcantara. Where the car fell short was definitely the seats. I could not convince my parents and myself that I could comfortably drive that car for long distances. The RX has much nicer seats with 4 way lumbar support and a thigh cushion extender design similar to a recliner chair. In fact, the XT5 had the worst seats I tested, in the class at least.​ In addition, I felt the car was too big. This was further hindered by the seat position/design. With the RX I got a better sense of size on the passenger side front corner. I also did not care for the steering wheel design. My palm would plastic chrome "wings" on the 9 and 3 positions. Pricing out the XT5, we were around the $67-69K MSRP price range. For the same price, I got a fully loaded Lexus RX with a V6 hybrid engine. Things the RX has that the XT5 does not include power folding rear seats, nicer rear seat entertainment system, nicer and more adjustable seats, larger HUD, 12.3 inch Navigation with Split Screen, and auto dimming outside mirrors.​ Finally, there is fuel economy. The RX hybrid gets 30 mpg combined which is amazing for a luxury crossover. The 18 city/26 highway of the XT5 was rather terrible.

2016 PORSCHE CAYENNE
So my neighbor just bought a 2016 Porsche Cayenne. Personally, I think he got jealous of my RX and had to get a new car. Nothing special, just the standard base model. I believe it had the premium package. As is typical with Porsche, there was added cost for every...last...thing! The wheels themselves were a $3000 package. Best part was, he let me drive it! Similar to the Audi Q7 and Porsche Macan, it was not as plush on the interior as the RX. The majority of the door panels were hard, or somewhat hard plastics. Build quality was tight, except for the turn signals which were crap!!! Driving dynamics were great, but it better be! The Cayenne's standard suspension was amazing. I could feel more bumps than my RX, but bumps were better damped. Now here is where the Cayenne lost me. The car my neighbor got was $76,000! With no radar cruise, no hybrid powertrain, no panoramic view camera, no automatic high beam, no lane departure, no HUD, no RSES. Basically all it had were LED Headlights, Leather Seats, and Blind Spot monitor. That's it! For $76,000, that thing is a rip off. No wonder it had been sitting on the lot since June 2015!!!
--------

2016 LEXUS RX
I first test drove an RX F SPORT in Nebula Grey with Rioja Red Seats. My Dad and found the F SPORT seats were bolstered too aggressively. In addition, the black headliner made the interior feel dark and depressing. The design was also too aggressive and the grey painted front lip seemed out of place. But, the Adaptive Variable Suspension really worked well. I also fiddled with the DRCC and LKA and both worked flawlessly.

So, the choice was made to have a look at the Luxury Package. The next RX we test drove as a well-equipped RX 450h with the Premium Package in Nightfall Mica and Parchment Interior. It drove really well. The ride as less jittery than the F SPORT and the interior was light and airy. The car felt very solid, so solid my brother complained the doors were too heavy! The Remote Touch interface is terrible, but was not a deal breaker at all. Best of all, everything inside felt like home and all the technology was easy to use.

After seeing the Luxury Package model, it was clear the seats were worth it. The adjustable thigh cushion and four-way lumbar felt amazing. In fact, we loved every feature so much, we decided we wanted it all: AWD, Luxury Package, PVM and BSM with RCTA, Cold Weather Package, Color Heads Up Display, LSS+ with Triple Beam LED Headlights, Touch-Free Power Rear Door, Power Folding Heated Rear Seats, Panorama Moon Roof, 12.3” Nav. With Mark Levinson, Rear Seat Entertainment System, Autumn Shimmer Wheel Inserts, Body Side Moldings, Running Boards, All-Weather Floor Liners, Mudguards, Preferred Accessory Package.

When we were looking at the NX, we really wanted Fire Agate Pearl, but Autumn Shimmer was just as nice. And after having a closer look at the Bamboo Wood Trim, it seemed the Sapele Wood was more premium.

I went to several dealerships in Ohio to find the best price as well as the best dealer experience. Ended up locking in a price of $64200 + Tax/Title/Doc, which was about $2800+ off MSRP or less than 2% over invoice (pricing on accessories were very inconsistent between dealerships).
April 8, 2016 an order was placed and just today, April 28, 2016, I received a confirmation that Lexus has recognized the build with a build date sometime in July.

With that, I will definitely post updates on this thread (or other threads if that is forum etiquette) including photos once I get the car, clean, and prep it! Any ClubLexus tips would be great!

Last edited by Curryolla; 10-01-16 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added XT5, Cayenne (10/1/2016)
Old 04-28-16, 04:00 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Default Custom RX450h

Hello All!

Finally decided to join ClubLexus now that I have ordered a 2016 Lexus RX 450h and the order was recognized by Lexus Corporate today. So, without further delay:

1. RX450h AWD
2. 12.3” Navigation with Mark Levinson
3. Autumn Shimmer (4X2) with Parchment Semi-Aniline Leather and Sapele Laser Cut Wood Trim
4. Everything...Luxury Package, PVM and BSM with RCTA, Cold Weather Package, Color Heads Up Display, LSS+ with Triple Beam LED Headlights, Touch-Free Power Rear Door, Power Folding Heated Rear Seats, Panorama Moon Roof, 12.3” Nav. With Mark Levinson, Rear Seat Entertainment System, Autumn Shimmer Wheel Inserts, Body Side Moldings, Running Boards, All-Weather Floor Liners, Mudguards, Preferred Accessory Package.
5. Not F-Sport. Luxury Package!

Full disclosure, my parents bought the car. I simply did the research, test drove the competition, recommended the RX hybrid, negotiated the price and put in the order. My parents are the one’s paying since the car is for them!

Pictures to be posted once the car arrives. We currently have four old cars and four drivers. My car is a 1998 Toyota Corolla (120,000 miles), Brother has a 2008 Honda Accord (160,000 miles), Mom has a 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser (130,000 miles), and Dad drives a 2007 Infiniti M35x (200,000 miles!). This RX will be our first Lexus, and third luxury car (after a 2001 Acura MDX (gone with 127,000 miles).
Old 04-28-16, 04:22 PM
NRX
Driver

Excellent write-up! Enjoyed reading it. Great choice in the end.

Welcome to the club!
Old 04-28-16, 05:39 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Thanks NRX! I've been following the forum for a couple of years now, but I thought I'd post all my collective thoughts in one go! It was long, but I'm glad you stuck with it and enjoyed it!
Old 04-28-16, 06:26 PM
Canafan
Driver School Candidate

I've joined Club Lexus couple of days ago waiting for the delivery of my RX 350 Luxury Package. Today, after 4 weeks of dealing with 3 different Lexus dealers, finally it has arrived:
- RX 350 Luxury Package - Canadian edition
- Cashmere satin metallic exterior
- Parchment leather interior
- V6 - AWD
- Michelin tires
- remont car starter
- hood deflector
- price paid close to CAN $65k /taxes and all fees included/ it is about US $50k
Picture will be posted soon.

Last edited by Canafan; 05-12-16 at 03:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rdoktbr (05-15-23)
Old 04-28-16, 06:31 PM
Rfsport
Driver School Candidate

16 RX f sport

The following users liked this post:
Rdoktbr (05-15-23)

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 4RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE