RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson Stereo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 04:21 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by brxsilva
I had ML with 17 speakers in my 2014 GX460 but don't have ML in my 2016 RX350 and I don't miss it. I guess what I do miss was just the bragging rights of having a ML stereo system with 17 speakers. I don't even know how they could fit so many speakers in one vehicle.
I have listened to the non-ML and ML systems and the ML sounds so much better there is little excuse to not want it except the extra cost. I have had the ML system in my last 4 Lexus and have zero regrets.
Old 03-12-16, 05:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Audio requirements are a matter of personal preference. With the ML vs Non ML i really cannot recognize the clarity that say I have seen in vehicles with and without say the B&W (xc90), or B&O (X5). Just my ears I guess. But always for stuff like audio, sit it it, test it out with your music and sources and see what fits best. The upgrade is worth it if you feel your in-car audio needs are being neglected without the ML.
Old 03-12-16, 11:35 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I have listened to the non-ML and ML systems and the ML sounds so much better there is little excuse to not want it except the extra cost. I have had the ML system in my last 4 Lexus and have zero regrets.
Actually my first choice was to get a 2016 RX 450H with the Caviar exterior and black leather interior(the color combo I wanted) which had the ML system and a whole lot of extras. Only thing I didn't like was the chrome wheels but I would have settled. However when we test drove it, there was so much vibration and noise in the back. Something to do with engine changing from hybrid to gas or something like that so the salesman said. My wife said that she and the children would be bothered by it whenever they ride in the back. It would have been so cost effective based it being a hybrid as well as it would still be much less than what I was paying for my GX. So I settled for a RX350 with a Caviar exterior and a noble brown interior because there was no black leather interior at that time.
Oh well, happy wife...happy life. I am happy that I was able to get 20" wheels and a NAV with the 12.3" display. Maybe next time I'll have my cake and eat it too.
My teen step daughter did say that the ML systems in my 2014 GX460 and 2006 LX470 were much better than my wife's non-ML system in her 2013 GS350.

Last edited by brxsilva; 03-12-16 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 04:06 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brxsilva
Actually my first choice was to get a 2016 RX 450H with the Caviar exterior and black leather interior(the color combo I wanted) which had the ML system and a whole lot of extras. Only thing I didn't like was the chrome wheels but I would have settled. However when we test drove it, there was so much vibration and noise in the back. Something to do with engine changing from hybrid to gas or something like that so the salesman said. My wife said that she and the children would be bothered by it whenever they ride in the back. It would have been so cost effective based it being a hybrid as well as it would still be much less than what I was paying for my GX. So I settled for a RX350 with a Caviar exterior and a noble brown interior because there was no black leather interior at that time.
Oh well, happy wife...happy life. I am happy that I was able to get 20" wheels and a NAV with the 12.3" display. Maybe next time I'll have my cake and eat it too.
My teen step daughter did say that the ML systems in my 2014 GX460 and 2006 LX470 were much better than my wife's non-ML system in her 2013 GS350.
Glad your choosing is over and now you can enjoy. I love the caviar and get many compliments on it weekly. Sometimes when the Sunday hits it I have to admit it is quite nice indeed. I have owned a 450h and never could get used to the CVT but every one need to make their own choices.
Old 03-13-16, 10:03 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
for sure. this was an old post.

ended up getting the ML system.

just going to either swap out the 8 in sub with something better or get a seperate amp and sub box!

love the ml but it is lacking the low end frequencies!
Don't forget to do a right up on the sub swap.
Personally I think the ML system is fine.
Depending on the music the bass is there, just like it should be.

I'm impressed on how every seat in the RX gets great imaging from the system.
Those that have played with auto aftermarket installs knows how hard that is to get if not almost impossible. Sure you can dial in the driver but to get good imaging from every seat?
That is very impressive and worth every penny I paid.
Old 03-13-16, 12:24 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
Don't forget to do a right up on the sub swap.
Personally I think the ML system is fine.
Depending on the music the bass is there, just like it should be.

I'm impressed on how every seat in the RX gets great imaging from the system.
Those that have played with auto aftermarket installs knows how hard that is to get if not almost impossible. Sure you can dial in the driver but to get good imaging from every seat?
That is very impressive and worth every penny I paid.
For sure. I love the clarity but just need a little more low end.

These are the parts I plan on getting.

I have a 10 inch JL sub with box.

Then I BELIEVE all I need are these things:

Amazon.com : AudioControl LC2I 2-Channel Line Out Converter and Subwoofer Control : Power Converters : Electronics Amazon.com : AudioControl LC2I 2-Channel Line Out Converter and Subwoofer Control : Power Converters : Electronics

Amazon.com : JL Audio XD600/1v2 Mono subwoofer amplifier - 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms : Electronics Amazon.com : JL Audio XD600/1v2 Mono subwoofer amplifier - 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms : Electronics

Amazon.com : JL Audio HD-RLC Amplifier Remote Level Control and Cable : Vehicle Audio Products : Car Electronics Amazon.com : JL Audio HD-RLC Amplifier Remote Level Control and Cable : Vehicle Audio Products : Car Electronics

This way I can tune the bass on the fly, keep the OG head unit, and not have to tinker too much with other settings.

These would be installed by a stereo guy. I will let you guys know what happens. Will most likely do this in June/July
Old 03-13-16, 12:28 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Forgot to mention that I will prob dynamat the front doors and maybe the gas tank area if people talk about issues with rattling like the NX.
Old 03-13-16, 12:40 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

For sure. I love the clarity but just need a little more low end.

These are the parts I plan on getting.

I have a 10 inch JL sub with box.

Then I BELIEVE all I need are these things:

Amazon.com : AudioControl LC2I 2-Channel Line Out Converter and Subwoofer Control : Power Converters : Electronics

Amazon.com : JL Audio XD600/1v2 Mono subwoofer amplifier - 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms : Electronics

Amazon.com : JL Audio HD-RLC Amplifier Remote Level Control and Cable : Vehicle Audio Products : Car Electronics

This way I can tune the bass on the fly, keep the OG head unit, and not have to tinker too much with other settings.

These would be installed by a stereo guy. I will let you guys know what happens. Will most likely do this in June/July
Sounds like a great solution.
Old 03-13-16, 12:42 PM
bootman
Intermediate

If you get an amp with high level inputs you can skip the first item.
Just tap the current sub's already filtered signal.

Amazon.com : Jl Audio Jx500/1d Mono Subwoofer Amplifier - 500 Watts RMS X 1 At 2 Ohms : Electronics Amazon.com : Jl Audio Jx500/1d Mono Subwoofer Amplifier - 500 Watts RMS X 1 At 2 Ohms : Electronics
Old 03-13-16, 03:06 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bootman
If you get an amp with high level inputs you can skip the first item.
Just tap the current sub's already filtered signal.

Amazon.com : Jl Audio Jx500/1d Mono Subwoofer Amplifier - 500 Watts RMS X 1 At 2 Ohms : Electronics
good to know! THanks
Old 03-13-16, 03:43 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Forgot to mention that I will prob dynamat the front doors and maybe the gas tank area if people talk about issues with rattling like the NX.
I am hearing no rattles, but the side mirrors vibrate when i turn the volume past 36 on the ML stereo and I am playing bass heavy music. Would dynamat help?
Old 03-13-16, 06:16 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roblim
I am hearing no rattles, but the side mirrors vibrate when i turn the volume past 36 on the ML stereo and I am playing bass heavy music. Would dynamat help?
I believe dynamat will help.

It basically dampens the vibrations from the speaker itself. So, if that is wrapped around the metal near the speakers, the vibrations wouldn't be able to travel all the way up to the side mirrors. haha.

I'm just assuming that is what would happen. Regardless, others on the forum say dynamat makes the speakers sound even better with the ML system.
Old 03-13-16, 06:36 PM
bootman
Intermediate

I believe dynamat will help.

It basically dampens the vibrations from the speaker itself. So, if that is wrapped around the metal near the speakers, the vibrations wouldn't be able to travel all the way up to the side mirrors. haha.

I'm just assuming that is what would happen. Regardless, others on the forum say dynamat makes the speakers sound even better with the ML system.
Without measurements to back it up it is just speculation based on the fact that they spent a ton of money and of course will say it sounds better.