RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson Stereo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 06:12 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts
Wink Mark Levinson Stereo replacement

So I know I'm jumping the gun, but I'll most likely be purchasing a 2016 RX when it comes out.

I've been trying to do a lot of research on stereo speaker/sub replacements on the RX but have come up short in most cases.

I've sat in a car with the ML setup and I am not too fond of it.

Does anyone know if we could change the speakers in the RX as well as install or replace the sub/amp without any issues?

Let's say I got an RX with the Lexus Premium Sound with no factory sub/amp vs just sucking it up and buying the ML system so that all the wiring is done for the sub/amp so it's easier to replace.

I am usually in my car a lot, commuting, and I love a good stereo system setup with good rich quality sound.
Old 04-29-15, 11:43 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you heard the ML in the new RX then? I doubt its going to remain 15 speakers and 300w. Itll most likely be a similiar system to the GS - 17 speaker 800w system. Probably best to wait and hear it first than jumping into conclusions
Old 01-22-16, 09:21 PM
ricke944
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Have you heard the ML in the new RX then? I doubt its going to remain 15 speakers and 300w. Itll most likely be a similiar system to the GS - 17 speaker 800w system. Probably best to wait and hear it first than jumping into conclusions
Had ML in my RX330 and have it in my 2012 IS F. Not impressed with it so did not order it in my 2016 RX350. Disclaimer: I have poor hearing.
Old 01-23-16, 06:29 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There's is nothing wrong with the ML. To each his own I guess.
Old 01-23-16, 09:52 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
So I know I'm jumping the gun, but I'll most likely be purchasing a 2016 RX when it comes out.

I've been trying to do a lot of research on stereo speaker/sub replacements on the RX but have come up short in most cases.

I've sat in a car with the ML setup and I am not too fond of it.

Does anyone know if we could change the speakers in the RX as well as install or replace the sub/amp without any issues?

Let's say I got an RX with the Lexus Premium Sound with no factory sub/amp vs just sucking it up and buying the ML system so that all the wiring is done for the sub/amp so it's easier to replace.

I am usually in my car a lot, commuting, and I love a good stereo system setup with good rich quality sound.
WHy not just buy the ML sound from the get. Cheaper and easier then buying it later. Side note there was a couple of posters who skipped the ML due to it being a lackluster upgrade. I would search the forums if I were u
Old 01-23-16, 12:35 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

for sure. this was an old post.

ended up getting the ML system.

just going to either swap out the 8 in sub with something better or get a seperate amp and sub box!

love the ml but it is lacking the low end frequencies!
Old 01-23-16, 04:29 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
for sure. this was an old post.

ended up getting the ML system.

just going to either swap out the 8 in sub with something better or get a seperate amp and sub box!

love the ml but it is lacking the low end frequencies!
The ML is supoised to be an Audiophile system I.e how the producer intended you to hear it. Therefore it doesn't have the low frequencies you get from say, a boom box
Old 01-23-16, 10:37 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The ML is supoised to be an Audiophile system I.e how the producer intended you to hear it. Therefore it doesn't have the low frequencies you get from say, a boom box
Exactly! I just had to drive a standard audio system equipped 4RX for a day (mine is ML) and I can definitely say the sound felt more… immersive and rich vs my ML audio. So I kinda understand folks who would say ML doesn't sound very good.
The problem is… the "standard" sound is what a lot of people got used to (lots of bass, lots of mid-range). When they do get to listen to actual monitor-type sound systems, these do sound very flat to them. But spend some time with these "monitor" systems and you'll understand that all the "standard" systems just sound kind of… mushy? Like sound is coming through a pillow. Great bass, very "comfy" sound. But far, far from the "transparency" of "monitor" systems, which is indeed how the music is supposed to sound.

Now, it's really probably about sound preferences. But before judging "monitor" level systems, just spend some time with them, let your hearing to readjust. And you might just be surprised how many nuances your music might get in a week or so of that readjusting. Think about "bland" Japanese cousine as an example
I went through that myself, and was suggested just the above after I complained about the sound of my new Harman Kardon sound sticks to my musician friend
Old 01-24-16, 06:24 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

im glad this is how it SHOULD sound. i wish it had some more like the harmon and kardon on my dads mercedes. haha
Old 01-24-16, 06:26 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macdee
Exactly! I just had to drive a standard audio system equipped 4RX for a day (mine is ML) and I can definitely say the sound felt more… immersive and rich vs my ML audio. So I kinda understand folks who would say ML doesn't sound very good.
The problem is… the "standard" sound is what a lot of people got used to (lots of bass, lots of mid-range). When they do get to listen to actual monitor-type sound systems, these do sound very flat to them. But spend some time with these "monitor" systems and you'll understand that all the "standard" systems just sound kind of… mushy? Like sound is coming through a pillow. Great bass, very "comfy" sound. But far, far from the "transparency" of "monitor" systems, which is indeed how the music is supposed to sound.

Now, it's really probably about sound preferences. But before judging "monitor" level systems, just spend some time with them, let your hearing to readjust. And you might just be surprised how many nuances your music might get in a week or so of that readjusting. Think about "bland" Japanese cousine as an example
I went through that myself, and was suggested just the above after I complained about the sound of my new Harman Kardon sound sticks to my musician friend
With time my ears will for sure get used to it.
Old 01-24-16, 05:35 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Everytime I take my GS in for service i get a Lexus loaner with premium audio. After listening to premium audio from 2014 IS 2015 RX and a 2015 CT. I can see why people prefer the premium audio. Premium audio is over boost mids and lows and really deviates from what the music artist really intended. The boosted sound is what most people are use to an immediate say when they hear it that it sounds very good. But as soon as you crank the volume to very loud, the audio quality takes a dive and sounds very distorted and muddy.

The Mark Levinson is clear at all volumes including at very high volumes. The sound and sound space does not change but actually get better as you increase the volume. If you listen to mark levinson at low to moderate levels it may not impress most people but once you crank it up it sounds much better than premium audio. I do agree that ML has very low bass. But I rather have low bass than terrible sound at high volumes. With the ML All i need to do is install and amp and subwoofer box and I am in audiophile bliss.
Old 01-25-16, 06:42 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Everytime I take my GS in for service i get a Lexus loaner with premium audio. After listening to premium audio from 2014 IS 2015 RX and a 2015 CT. I can see why people prefer the premium audio. Premium audio is over boost mids and lows and really deviates from what the music artist really intended. The boosted sound is what most people are use to an immediate say when they hear it that it sounds very good. But as soon as you crank the volume to very loud, the audio quality takes a dive and sounds very distorted and muddy.

The Mark Levinson is clear at all volumes including at very high volumes. The sound and sound space does not change but actually get better as you increase the volume. If you listen to mark levinson at low to moderate levels it may not impress most people but once you crank it up it sounds much better than premium audio. I do agree that ML has very low bass. But I rather have low bass than terrible sound at high volumes. With the ML All i need to do is install and amp and subwoofer box and I am in audiophile bliss.
haha. I agree completely. That is literally all we need. I wonder if we have an amp and sub box if it would still connect to the OEM head unit and how would that work.. This is why I take it to the stereo guys haha. I wonder if we could swap out the 8 inch sub for another one?
Old 01-25-16, 08:04 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

It also helps tremendously if you're listening to a high quality audio source. DVD audio will sound better than CD which will sound better than a standard MP3 etc. etc. etc.
Old 01-25-16, 08:15 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200
It also helps tremendously if you're listening to a high quality audio source. DVD audio will sound better than CD which will sound better than a standard MP3 etc. etc. etc.
Can the new RX play DVD Audios?
Old 01-30-16, 04:31 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Can the new RX play DVD Audios?
Not sure if it can play actuall DVD-A files but most concert DVDs also have a DTS track which it can play

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Stereo replacement