RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

New RX driven in Austria

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15 | 04:42 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by metrathon
Both IS and GS have better dynamics than, let's say BMW, but they've never been known for soaking up bumps and float over road imperfections, like the RX does. You just can't do both. Find me a car that does it and I'll buy you a beer
The luxury versions will soak up bumps but will have slight body roll. The F Sport on the other hand is stiffer and more dynamic. Depends which version you go for.
Old 07-11-15 | 04:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Rayaans, thanks for sharing!

With AVS, the NX is a blast to drive. Not IS-like but significantly better than my previous RX F SPort with even more comfort to boot. I can believe the new RX with AVS will result in a significant leap in handling and ride comfort!
Old 07-12-15 | 11:21 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Rayaans, thanks for sharing!

With AVS, the NX is a blast to drive. Not IS-like but significantly better than my previous RX F SPort with even more comfort to boot. I can believe the new RX with AVS will result in a significant leap in handling and ride comfort!
Not to mention the Active stabilizer on F-Sport models
Old 07-12-15 | 12:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by metrathon
Both IS and GS have better dynamics than, let's say BMW, but they've never been known for soaking up bumps and float over road imperfections, like the RX does. You just can't do both. Find me a car that does it and I'll buy you a beer
Having had a GS for 3 years when I personally am not a "sporty car/handling" sort of person...I actually would disagree,

Technology has come a really long way here, and the AVS system in the F Sport and luxury GS and F Sport IS really does a good job of letting the GS for instance ride really surprisingly well, while helping it be firm and rewarding when handling. I was very pleasantly surprised with the balance. I felt for instance my GS rode better than my ES, but not as well as my LS...although on typical road surfaces the LS is not as hugely ahead as you would think. Thats not a knock against the LS, but a real kudos to the GS.

The RX's handling limitations mainly come from its front heavy FWD layout, but AVS can make it an enjoyable vehicle to drive I'm sure. It will just never be as neutral dynamically as something like an X5.
Old 07-12-15 | 07:06 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the info, rayaans!

Unless Lexus has secretly switched the RX to a GS-derived platform I have a hard time believing that the new RX can be dynamically on par with the X5, let alone surpass it. I'll wait until a 3rd party, rather than a Lexus employee, has driven the new RX, before believing in comments on such a subjective area.

I'm also confused about his praise for the new CVT--on which specific model is he talking about? He can't be referring to the RX450h, since the RX450h has always used e-CVT and will continue to do so until Toyota/Lexus comes up with a new generation (actually, a whole new paradigm) of hybrid system. He can't be referring to the RX350 either, since he didn't drive the RX350 at all but made a comment on the "feel" of the new CVT. So that leaves only the RX200t when he talks about the new CVT, but then with the way that paragraph of the OP is structured it didn't really read like it's going to be the RX200t that's getting the CVT, but rather either the RX450h or the RX350. Can you clarify on this, rayaans?

And lastly, since when has Volvo become the benchmark of the "quality of the finish"?

All in all it does sound very very promising for the new generation of the very bread-and-butter model of Lexus.

Last edited by ydooby; 07-13-15 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-13-15 | 08:36 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ydooby
Thanks for all the info, rayaans!

Unless Lexus has secretly switched the RX to a GS-derived platform I have a hard time believing that the new RX can be dynamically on par with the X5, let alone surpass it. I'll wait until a 3rd party, rather than a Lexus employee, has driven the new RX, before believing in comments on such a subjective area.

I'm also confused about his praise for the new CVT--on which specific model is he talking about? He can't be referring to the RX450h, since the RX450h has always used e-CVT and will continue to do so until Toyota/Lexus comes up with a new generation (actually, a whole new paradigm) of hybrid system. He can't be referring to the RX350 either, since he didn't drive the RX350 at all but made a comment on the "feel" of the new CVT. So that leaves only the RX200t when he talks about the new CVT, but then with the way that paragraph of the OP is structured it didn't really read like it's going to be the RX200t that's getting the CVT, but rather either the RX450h or the RX350. Can you clarify on this, rayaans?

And lastly, since when has Volvo become the benchmark of the "quality of the finish"?

All in all it does sound very very promising for the new generation of the very bread-and-butter model of Lexus.
Yes, some of what he says could be biased but its worth noting he works in finance and also works with other big brands including Jaguar and LR.

You're correct, the RX450h has always used a CVT but from what he has said to me, its been improved to act more like a traditional auto box, similiar to the GS450h, which I think is definitely the best CVT Lexus makes atm. Its possible that they just took the CVT out of the GS450h and popped it into the RX. The hybrid whine has also been removed completely when braking but this could just be a consequence of extra sound deadening.

The RX200t is coming with the 6 speed auto. No word on whether it is the same as the NX or changed as my insider told me that it was a pretty aggressive auto box when taking off and puts the power down quite well. He said about 8.o-8.5s sounds about right for the RX200t which isnt too bad at all, especially if the pricing is right.

My insider told me that the quality of the interior was tested using Volvo as the benchmark as Lexus decided that Volvo had the best quality of interior in terms of fit and finish.
Old 07-13-15 | 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not saying he's biased, I'm saying he doesn't really have the experience to know what makes one vehicle "dynamically" better than another vehicle.

If tats true about Volvo we're in trouble, IMHO Volvos have pretty cheap/low rent interiors.

I think the guy's full of it. Volvo isn't really even a significant competitor to the RX, Lexus isn't going to choose them as the benchmark.
Old 07-13-15 | 12:29 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm not saying he's biased, I'm saying he doesn't really have the experience to know what makes one vehicle "dynamically" better than another vehicle.

If tats true about Volvo we're in trouble, IMHO Volvos have pretty cheap/low rent interiors.

I think the guy's full of it. Volvo isn't really even a significant competitor to the RX, Lexus isn't going to choose them as the benchmark.
The RX interior was compared to the XC90 interior, id hardly call that low rent/cheap
Old 07-13-15 | 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps the new XC90, but have you seen the previous XC90? The one that would have been the "benchmark" for Lexus since the new XC90 has just come out? Not a class leading interior by any stretch:

Old 07-13-15 | 01:26 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps the new XC90, but have you seen the previous XC90? The one that would have been the "benchmark" for Lexus since the new XC90 has just come out? Not a class leading interior by any stretch:

It was the new XC90 that the Employees were comparing to
Old 07-13-15 | 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rayaans
It was the new XC90 that the Employees were comparing to
Right, but your "contact" said that the XC90 was used as the benchmark for testing the design of the RX, Lexus would not have had access to that vehicle when developing the 4RX.
Old 07-13-15 | 02:35 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Default Boom!

Right, but your "contact" said that the XC90 was used as the benchmark for testing the design of the RX, Lexus would not have had access to that vehicle when developing the 4RX.
I have one word... BOOM!
Old 07-14-15 | 04:13 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I have one word... BOOM!
Read my posts again. I have never said "designed using XC90 as a benchmark"

so I have 2 words - DOUBLE BOOM!!
Old 07-14-15 | 05:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We get it, the 4RX handles better than a Porsche, rides better than a Bentley, its interior is of the finest quality. It can also fly and operate under the ocean at depths approaching 20 miles. It will be undoubtedly the finest vehicle ever made. And...we know all of this when we've never even seen it
Old 07-14-15 | 07:31 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Fit and finish on a Volvo? Seriously? You remember it was recently owned by Ford and now the Chinese. Not exactly makers of quality stuff.

Quick Reply: New RX driven in Austria