RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Price hike on 4RX in Japan and some more info

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 04:49 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeivan

- AWD 450h feels a bit bulky comparing to 2WD
- for 450h, 2WD seemed like a better option, unless you really want AWD

Not sure what "bulky" means here, did he mean "heavy". I am considering AWD because I think it will improve the ride, by adding weight, especially in the rear. All US 2016 RX will have eight speed transmissions, correct?
Yep right! "Heavy" or maybe "inertia" would be a better word. I was considering AWD as well, hoping for potentially better initial acceleration (two motors, better acceleration?…*no idea)… but doesn't look like the guy who was testing felt any noticeable positive difference, so I just passed. But sure enough, to everyone its own.

For AWD, they mention updated E-FOUR system (whatever that means). Also talk about adoption of some anti-slip "μ-something…" system. Also AWD is 70kg heavier than 2WD (2030 vs 2100kg; btw 200t is 1890 and 200t AWD is 1970)

No mentions regarding number of gears in hybrids (it is not in 3RX pamphlet as well though, or I somehow missed it)… Transmission is listed at electric-assisted CVT (same as before) and that's about it. 200t is 6-speed for both.

BTW, one potentially big thing! Comparing 3RV and 4RX specs, noticed that minimum ground clearance is now 200mm for all models, vs 175~185mm for 3RX! Hope it offsets for the lowered approach angle.
On the other hand…*my dealer told me twice now that seats are located at lower position and it's easier to get into the car. Not sure what to make of this and increased ground clearance, but will be happy to have both of these upgrades.
Old 08-02-15, 05:06 PM
macdee
Driver

Originally Posted by Cjl22
Macdee,
Can you supply cargo specs behind the second row and with the second row folded flat....thanks
OK so the luggage area is 514 Liters.
Dimensions with rear seats in normal position: 992mm deep, 1410mm wide (1129mm wide where the wheels emboss into interior). No info on folded config though
Old 08-03-15, 02:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by melodyqi
Thank you macdee, that is a lot of good information. I saw one blog mention the US base price will start at $47,620. If that is true, that is more than 16% increase. I cannot wait for the official pricing and specs to come out for the U.S. market. You mentioned the new RX overall feels lower to the ground. Do you know its ground clearance spec?
different markets have different specs and marketing approaches... RX in US will certainly not go up in price so much but at the same time, it will not have same base specs either.
Old 08-03-15, 03:02 AM
macdee
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
different markets have different specs and marketing approaches... RX in US will certainly not go up in price so much but at the same time, it will not have same base specs either.
Would be interesting how it plays out…

I'm not an analyst, but I would still bet on price increase across all markets though, as long as there's a (relatively) significant overlap in NX and 4RX base prices in these markets.

(after training at Lexus) My dealer was pretty much ready to confirm my guess that they indeed seemed to want to separate price ranges of the two models. So even if base specs are not the same across markets, the difference will be introduced just based on a different set of specs available in each specific region.

PS: I would've never bet on significant price increase in Japan before I saw the prices (and my dealer was betting on "possibly 500,000 yen increase - but we might be stretching it")… Salaries here are pretty much stuck for last i-dunno-how-many-years. But here we are, with base model coming up in price whole one million yen (from 6 to 7). Big money no matter how you slice it. And still they went for it ("no money? go for NX!" approach? But hope you guys will not get a huge bump. Yen is weak, so Lexus potentially can afford it.
Old 08-03-15, 10:08 AM
Cjl22
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macdee
OK so the luggage area is 514 Liters.
Dimensions with rear seats in normal position: 992mm deep, 1410mm wide (1129mm wide where the wheels emboss into interior). No info on folded config though
Thanks for the info. Please let me know what I find out