RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

'16 RX built in Canada Only?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16 | 01:40 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Can someone confirm? I talk to a sales guy from one of the dealer. he said Lexus Are not making any f-sports in Japan ! not even 450h f-sports

Correct.... RXs whether 350s or 450Hs are made in Canada now

I talked to Lexus Corporate and my salesman and both said CANADA.

It kinda sucks because you expect to buy a Japanese import. Is just as awkward as that moment you realize that your chinese take-out is being cooked by mexicans. I guess, it's the same no matter who makes it
Old 03-04-16 | 02:36 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

When Heads Up Display first came out in the RX any with it were built
exclusively in Japan. Now even those with "GF" HUD are built in CA.
Old 03-04-16 | 08:04 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by JosersRX

It kinda sucks because you expect to buy a Japanese import. Is just as awkward as that moment you realize that your chinese take-out is being cooked by mexicans. I guess, it's the same no matter who makes it
Ive seen Chinese people make Tacos too so it goes both ways. And either way just really bugs me. I remember years ago I ate Sushi at a Japanese buffet place. After eathing I went to the restroom and along the way I saw a Mexican roll a Sushi and I was like that just aint right. Later that night i had the worst case of food poisoning and swear will not eat Sushi again if its not made by the Japanese. But anyways its sad that the New RX is no longer made in Japan. At the least the GS and LS is still made in Japan. And I hope this will never change.
Old 03-04-16 | 08:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

There a couple of JPs serials in Florida for some reason like more then normal.
Old 03-05-16 | 01:02 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

RC-F made in Japan?

I guess I will need to look at my VIN and see.

Back in the early 90's I was looking at a brand new Honda Accord and was told like 2 out of 10 were made in Japan. So guess what I sought after the only one on the lot made on Japan. Drove it to some 188k miles before I sold it. No problems at all.

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Ive seen Chinese people make Tacos too so it goes both ways. And either way just really bugs me. I remember years ago I ate Sushi at a Japanese buffet place. After eathing I went to the restroom and along the way I saw a Mexican roll a Sushi and I was like that just aint right. Later that night i had the worst case of food poisoning and swear will not eat Sushi again if its not made by the Japanese. But anyways its sad that the New RX is no longer made in Japan. At the least the GS and LS is still made in Japan. And I hope this will never change.
Old 03-05-16 | 04:13 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Quality is not only assembly but parts and price point. For instance the NX series is quite popular, and made in Japan only. Hence with the assumption that the Japanese plant is the best is quite far from true. Alot of complaints are posted about rattling developing quite after purchase.

Its all about the materials used, design, price point. At the end of the day as long as the car performs as designed move on lol.
Old 03-05-16 | 04:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusrus
RC-F made in Japan?

I guess I will need to look at my VIN and see.

Back in the early 90's I was looking at a brand new Honda Accord and was told like 2 out of 10 were made in Japan. So guess what I sought after the only one on the lot made on Japan. Drove it to some 188k miles before I sold it. No problems at all.
Only place the RC is made is japan....
Old 03-05-16 | 04:28 PM
rogerh00
Racer

I'm surprised at the responses here. I've owned 3 Canadian assembled vehicles and they were the best I've ever owned as far as quality of build and reliability. I'm confident that Lexus quality control is the same wherever it's built. I can't say that for other makes.
Old 03-05-16 | 06:10 PM
MMakoto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JosersRX

If the RX is made in CA, then why do I hear dealers or other forum members say special orders take months to arrive in the states?

The BMW x line is made in South Carolina, and it only take 3-4 weeks to get the car built and shipped to NY, so why does it take so long for the RX?
Old 03-05-16 | 07:45 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MMakoto
If the RX is made in CA, then why do I hear dealers or other forum members say special orders take months to arrive in the states?

The BMW x line is made in South Carolina, and it only take 3-4 weeks to get the car built and shipped to NY, so why does it take so long for the RX?
Two completely different idealogies in mfging and sales modesl is what it boils down to.

Lexus is all about standardized vehicles, where based on regional demand, Lexus basically maps out specific build allocations to dealers who dont have much to do in terms of individualization of vehicles. Most customers just take whats on the lot and instead of options its packages. Easy Peasy. Lexus`s on-time parts model are supplied, vehicles built, and shipped to the end dealership. End of story. If a customer however wants a build allocation, they cant just switch the allocation order so usually a month minimum lead time is needed. (usually thats impossible but have seen dealerships accomodate).

Now on the other end is BMW. BMW is all about individual car customization hence they even have the BMW individual series where you can customize every small nitty detail. You can ask for any allocation and usually most dealers and submit the order and get a delivery date within a month or less. However you will be paying for evetything vs option packages.
Old 03-08-16 | 06:14 AM
germangs
Rookie

I just bought my RX from Ira Lexus in Danvers, MA. They have several RXs on their lot that were build in Japan. The VIN# have J letter in front of the VIN.
Old 03-08-16 | 07:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I'll never understand why this is an issue for some. The RX has been one of the most reliable vehicles in the Lexus lineup for years, with the bulk of them coming from Ontario. The data to back up this concern simply isn't there.
Old 03-08-16 | 09:03 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'll never understand why this is an issue for some. The RX has been one of the most reliable vehicles in the Lexus lineup for years, with the bulk of them coming from Ontario. The data to back up this concern simply isn't there.
I think its more in perceived quality rather than actual quality. Japanese made vehicles had an air of higher quality standards from the way their workers are inducted into the factory system. Again lot of misconceptions but some it true
Old 03-08-16 | 10:16 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

I asked the sales manager at my local dealer in Toronto area and we can not get any Japanese made RX's All Canadian for us.
Old 03-08-16 | 10:52 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I asked the sales manager at my local dealer in Toronto area and we can not get any Japanese made RX's All Canadian for us.
It`d be a loss maker if they started importing RXs for CA.

I think HI are JP serial #s for sure