RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 01:03 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by legends92
This is the beauty of a being a human. I absolutely feel the opposite. I think the XC90 interior is beautiful, plush, and luxurious. My wife and I think the 4G RX is just nice. It's just awesome that we have so many choices.
Well said! To each his own ...
Old 02-17-16, 02:22 PM
450h4bvrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My wifes family has had Volvos for over 40 years and when we got rid of our 7 seater AWD XC90 we looked at the X5 and the RX, we purchased the RX. I will never buy a Volvo again, the issues we had are numerous and the service was almost criminal. Unless you are in Southern California look at how many Volvo dealers there are? If you dont like one you might be driving a while to get to another one? XC90, transmission failed (twice), power steering rack failed, 2 fuel injectors failed and vapor locked our engine... dealer said "engine is dead, $11k to replace" outside mechaninc removed bad injectors and spark plugs turned the engine over to let gas out of cycinders and it ran for another 2 years. Total mileage on car when we traded it in under 159,000. Now this Volvo was when Ford owned the company, maybe its gotten better? however they will never get anymore of my money. I did not tow anything, nor am I hard on vehicles. The RX does not have the solid feel of the Volvo, but at 6,000lbs the XC90 is 1,800 lbs heavier than the RX. I will not miss having to replace the tires all the time, the most usage I got out of a set of tires was 30,000 miles and everytime I replaced tires they were aligned (never really got out of alignment but Volvo suggested getting alignment each time tires were replaced). Gas prices are down, so not a big deal purchasing premium right now. The 3rd row seat, my kids are now 9 and 12 and was convenient when their little friends could come with us, if your family is over 5'2" its not fun nor comfortable getting in or out of the 3rd row (the MDX has a much nicer 3rd row). Not to be a hater, but would I buy a first car of a new generation Volvo? f*** NO!
Old 02-17-16, 02:31 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Weight difference

Originally Posted by 450h4bvrs
My wifes family has had Volvos for over 40 years and when we got rid of our 7 seater AWD XC90 we looked at the X5 and the RX, we purchased the RX. I will never buy a Volvo again, the issues we had are numerous and the service was almost criminal. Unless you are in Southern California look at how many Volvo dealers there are? If you dont like one you might be driving a while to get to another one? XC90, transmission failed (twice), power steering rack failed, 2 fuel injectors failed and vapor locked our engine... dealer said "engine is dead, $11k to replace" outside mechaninc removed bad injectors and spark plugs turned the engine over to let gas out of cycinders and it ran for another 2 years. Total mileage on car when we traded it in under 159,000. Now this Volvo was when Ford owned the company, maybe its gotten better? however they will never get anymore of my money. I did not tow anything, nor am I hard on vehicles. The RX does not have the solid feel of the Volvo, but at 6,000lbs the XC90 is 1,800 lbs heavier than the RX. I will not miss having to replace the tires all the time, the most usage I got out of a set of tires was 30,000 miles and everytime I replaced tires they were aligned (never really got out of alignment but Volvo suggested getting alignment each time tires were replaced). Gas prices are down, so not a big deal purchasing premium right now. The 3rd row seat, my kids are now 9 and 12 and was convenient when their little friends could come with us, if your family is over 5'2" its not fun nor comfortable getting in or out of the 3rd row (the MDX has a much nicer 3rd row). Not to be a hater, but would I buy a first car of a new generation Volvo? f*** NO!
The Volvo is only 600 lbs heavier 😊
Old 02-17-16, 02:32 PM
legends92
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I really feel for you. I bought my 2016 XC90 in January after looking at the RX, MDX, & X5. I would never buy a car if there isn't at least one to two dealers within an hour drive.

Last edited by legends92; 02-17-16 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 03:08 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I`d have to say the XC90 is got a much a better interior then the RX. Leather dash, open pore wood, almunium trims etc is easily beasts the RX. The XC90 really sets the standard of what a luxury suv could and should be. Only thing working against is the reliability. Dual boosted is what worries me powertrain wise (the transmission is from Aisin), Electronics are SW updateable which is sweet, Leaky Pano roof is another area of concern:

Basically thats the problem with all of the RX competitors: reliability

If lexus lost its foothold in reliability, there would be mass exodus to every other brand, since they offer SOOO MUCH MOREEEE. But short term gains doesn`t equate to long term profits.
Cant really see your point - as in the RX also has a leather dash and aluminium trim on some trim levels. You could argue that its also got Yamaha Laser etched wood which is just plain cool

The Aisin gearbox is fairly clunky in the XC90 not really sure why but it jerks like a good one sometimes.
Old 02-17-16, 03:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
as in the RX also has a leather dash
Correction, it has a synthetic leather dash.
Old 02-17-16, 05:10 PM
450h4bvrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
The Volvo is only 600 lbs heavier ��
XC90 weighs 5,798 pounds
RX350 weighs 4,222 pounds (thats nearly 1800 lbs)

I havent found the weight of the 450 because it wasnt that important to me, the failing transmissions (yes plural) were much more relevant.
Old 02-17-16, 05:21 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

XC90 weighs 5,798 pounds

I havent found the weight of the 450 because it wasnt that important to me, the failing transmissions (yes plural) were much more relevant.
CURB WEIGHT 4,222 lb RX
CURB WEIGHT 4293 lbs. XC90

Straight off the MFG Websites

So the difference in this is not anywhere close to 600lbs LOL

Plus the XC90 has more HP to lug those additional 70 lbs and 3rd row of seats
Old 02-17-16, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

XC90 weighs 5,798 pounds

You're comparing gross weight to curb weight lol. Gross weight is the weight of the vehicle fully loaded to spec.

The curb weight of the XC90 (First Edition gas model) is 4,627 lbs. The gross weight of the XC90 same spec is 6,060 lbs.

The curb weight of the RX AWD Gas is 4,387lbs and the gross weight is 5,864 lbs.

So the XC90 is 240 lbs heavier....not 1800 lbs!
Old 02-17-16, 06:30 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't agree. Whether or not the XC90 has three rows and the RX has 2 rows, these vehicles are pretty much direct competitors. Lexus chose not to put a third row in the RX, but that reason was not size. The RX and the XC90 are almost exactly the same size, the 4RX is 192.5" long, the XC90 is 194.9" long. RX starts at $44,250 XC90 starts at $43,950. Hard to make an argument that two midsize luxury SUVs within 2.5 inches in length and $300 in price are not direct competitors.
Personally i would not compare the XC90 to RX350 because the Volvo is a 3 row and RX a 2 row. I prefer two row mid class crossovers and would never buy three rows unless I have another kid. What i like about the RX is the second row seat leg room its huge compared to the second row rear seat of the XC90. The XC 90 has to squeeze in a third row so we get less room in the second row. Its a compromise. Thats a compromise I refuse to make. Rarely will i ever need the third row on the other hand I use the second row everyday so to me that row is a priority. I just wish more manufactuers make midsize to large two row crossovers without the third row.
Old 02-17-16, 06:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The two vehicles are going to be widely cross shopped though. It's like saying the X5 isn't a competitor because it has an available third row, it certainly is.
Old 02-17-16, 06:50 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't underestimate the third row.
If you want/need a third row the RX would not even be on your radar.
Old 02-17-16, 06:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bootman
And a lot of people who don't need the third row still want the option in case they do.
Old 02-17-16, 06:59 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And a lot of people who don't need the third row still want the option in case they do.
Let the in-laws walk.
Old 02-17-16, 07:00 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
Most third rows in crossovers are very tight and sometimes unusable for tall adults. If i were to have a third row it would be in a MiniVan. Third rows in the Sedona and Sienna and Odyssey is way bigger. I still think two rows in crossovers make more sense.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX