RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 07:03 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
Let the in-laws walk.
When you have a third row there is no excuse to not take your annoying in laws with you. With the RX you can say " I only have five seats so if you wanna come along you would need to follow me in your own car."
Old 02-17-16, 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,951 Posts

But it's there if you need it, whether it's ideal or not. I having a minivan I wouldn't buy a minivan if I didn't have kids and only needed a third row every once and a while, but going forward I'm going to want a third row in any crossover/SUV I buy, which means Lexus doesn't have an option for me currently.

In that vein, unfortunately I wouldn't even consider the RX compared to an XC90.
Old 02-17-16, 07:39 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
But it's there if you need it, whether it's ideal or not. I having a minivan I wouldn't buy a minivan if I didn't have kids and only needed a third row every once and a while, but going forward I'm going to want a third row in any crossover/SUV I buy, which means Lexus doesn't have an option for me currently.

In that vein, unfortunately I wouldn't even consider the RX compared to an XC90.
And thank you for proving my point about the third seat.
Old 02-17-16, 07:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've said it until I'm blue in the face...they need a three row crossover in the lineup...
Old 02-18-16, 06:32 AM
450h4bvrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You're comparing gross weight to curb weight lol. Gross weight is the weight of the vehicle fully loaded to spec.

The curb weight of the XC90 (First Edition gas model) is 4,627 lbs. The gross weight of the XC90 same spec is 6,060 lbs.

The curb weight of the RX AWD Gas is 4,387lbs and the gross weight is 5,864 lbs.

So the XC90 is 240 lbs heavier....not 1800 lbs!
Like I said, I dont care if the cars weigh exactly the same, multiple failing transmissions matter, the second time it wasnt under warranty.

The Volvo eats tires on average every 27,000 miles because of the negative camber of the vehicle, you get to spend nearly $1,000. I have no factual information/experience on if the RX eats tires, I suspect it does not? the OP asked about thoughts between the cars? I am giving experience take it for what you will and buy what you want, I dont care.

Resale value of the Volvo, again because I just experienced it was virtually nothing.

Good luck

Last edited by 450h4bvrs; 02-18-16 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 06:45 AM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't driven it, but I have sat in several and I don't agree with you about the interior. IMHO its easily the equal of the new RX.
like i said. Volvo put the shining cheap plastic everywhere.
This style is for show not for true taste.
Will you put shining glasses everywhere in your home?
even you put true diamonds, that's still not good.
but unfortunately, those shining pieces are not diamonds, they are cheap glass level material.
Quality wise, after several months you will see scratches everywhere.
and the touch and feel of those material is filmy also a letdown

Buying Lexus is not only for reliability, but also for quality.
Old 02-18-16, 08:54 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pdaeng
but unfortunately, those shining pieces are not diamonds, they are cheap glass level material.

Totally agree with your point about the shiny cheap plastic used in the interior of Volvo XC90.

To me, the problem is not just about the use of shiny vulnerable black plastic in the cabin but where those shiny plastic are.

From the picture, the Volvo XC90 interior panels appear to have high quality materials tastefully constructed. It has very clean layout. Sadly, when seeing in person, I was shocked that they use black shiny plastic in the switches where you have to touch them very often. Not to mention the average passengers are not as mindful as the owners and the detail-oriented owners will get a lot of frustration when giving a ride to passengers.

Why on earth did those Volvo interior designer think it is a good idea to put extremely scratch-prone black shiny plastics on steering wheel buttons, window switches, etc?

Those shiny black plastic buttons are common in some mainstream non-luxury brands.

Scratches, marring and fingerprints would probably be a common complaint in Volvo XC90 forum.

On the other hand, the interior materials in 4RX are consistently of high quality. Only a few areas where the material is a bit vulnerable -- the bottom centre console plastic is the same black with mild metallic accent used in 2014 3IS. I was surprised why this material is coming back as Lexus has already switched to more durable grey in 2015 3IS, NX and RC/RC-F.

Sometimes pictures don't do justice --- case in point --- reviews on the Internet have high praises about the interior material of the new BMW X1 but I find it pretty horrible when seeing it in person. Yes, it has high quality matte wood but somehow the whole dash looks cheap.

Last edited by AndyL; 02-18-16 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 450h4bvrs
Like I said, I dont care if the cars weigh exactly the same, multiple failing transmissions matter, the second time it wasnt under warranty.

The Volvo eats tires on average every 27,000 miles because of the negative camber of the vehicle, you get to spend nearly $1,000. I have no factual information/experience on if the RX eats tires, I suspect it does not? the OP asked about thoughts between the cars? I am giving experience take it for what you will and buy what you want, I dont care.

Resale value of the Volvo, again because I just experienced it was virtually nothing.

Good luck
You posted information that was not correct...we corrected you. The fact that you had failing transmissions doesn't mean anything. This is a new generation Volvo. The first gen RX had a lot of problems with failing transmissions on AWD versions, but they made changes and moved on.

As for tires, any vehicle with low profile tires is going to eat tires, including the Lexus.

You can't dictate taste. I think the interior is very nice, you clearly don't and thats fine.
Old 02-18-16, 09:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Oil sludge was an issue on some but not all 1RXs, a few of the early 2RXs including mine had a reflash to fix a hesitation between 3rd and 4th gear.
Old 02-18-16, 09:22 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I've said it until I'm blue in the face...they need a three row crossover in the lineup...
I guess Lexus considers that the GX.
Old 02-18-16, 11:31 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So how long have you owned the new XC90. or are you a materials expert?

Shining cheap plastics...is more like the RX. (even then the RX has moved its material quality up as well).

Shining cheap plastics are found on th QX60, not on an RX or XC90. Too many assumptions
Old 02-18-16, 01:07 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Correction, it has a synthetic leather dash.
Must be something the US miss out on then. All RX's in the UK come with a genuine leather dash.

Probably similiar to how you guys get the Nuluxe in the IS and we can't. Only real leather here in the UK apart from on the IS F-Sport standard seats which are cloth and synthetic leather and the CT which are mainly cloth until you upgrade
Old 02-18-16, 02:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I realize this is a real subjective topic, but II've read a lit of reviews on the XC90 and don't recall any that mentioned poor quality or fit and finish of the interior.
Old 02-18-16, 02:30 PM
450h4bvrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You posted information that was not correct...we corrected you. The fact that you had failing transmissions doesn't mean anything. This is a new generation Volvo. The first gen RX had a lot of problems with failing transmissions on AWD versions, but they made changes and moved on.

As for tires, any vehicle with low profile tires is going to eat tires, including the Lexus.

You can't dictate taste. I think the interior is very nice, you clearly don't and thats fine.
sorry for being wrong...

A tire's profile refers to the height of the sidewall. On a tire with an aspect ratio (profile) of 65, the sidewall's height is 65 percent of the tire's width. A normal tire is 60 or 65. Fifty and 45 would be considered low-profile and would have a shorter sidewall

Volvo XC90 does not come with a low profile tires, numerous replacements of 235/60-18 not low pro... Everyone is wrong once-n-a-while even you.

enjoy your XC

Last edited by 450h4bvrs; 02-18-16 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-18-16, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
Oil sludge was an issue on some but not all 1RXs, a few of the early 2RXs including mine had a reflash to fix a hesitation between 3rd and 4th gear.
I'm not talking about a refresh, I'm talking about actual transmission failures on the 1RX. My point was that a model having had issues in the past is not necessarily an indicator of whether subsequent generations will have issues.

Originally Posted by bootman
I guess Lexus considers that the GX.
Consumers dont lol. My guess is one is under development. Its the #1 thing dealers request too.

Originally Posted by rayaans
Must be something the US miss out on then. All RX's in the UK come with a genuine leather dash.
I highly doubt it. I'm sure its synthetic in the UK too, its a very high quality and convincing synthetic...but it is synthetic.

Originally Posted by 450hbvrs
A tire's profile refers to the height of the sidewall. On a tire with an aspect ratio (profile) of 65, the sidewall's height is 65 percent of the tire's width. A normal tire is 60 or 65. Fifty and 45 would be considered low-profile and would have a shorter sidewall

Volvo XC90 does not come with a low profile tires, numerous replacements of 235/60-18 not low pro... Everyone is wrong once-n-a-while even you.
I'm not talking about the old XC90, I'm comparing the new current XC90. It CERTAINLY does have low profile tires...the vehicle is available with 21" wheels. The smallest tires available are 19" wheels with 55 series tires. For the 2016 XC90 the tire sizes are as follows:

235/55/19
275/45/20
275/40/21
275/35/22

The 4RX has standard 65 series tires and 55 series tires on the 20" wheels.

My point is, I would not expect significantly better tire life on the RX. They're front heavy, hard on tires too.

enjoy your XC
I don't have an XC, I've just spent time in both vehicles and like them both in different ways.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-18-16 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX